IGNORED

Tathata Golf ... McCord & Chamblee Are Advertising on TGC

inthehole
Note: This thread is 2490 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

6 minutes ago, Dave2512 said:

Curious if the flexibility training is yoga based. 

They don't let you jump ahead in the program, but looking at the pdf of the stretches, they don't look uncomfortable like yoga - think Roger Fredericks, Joey D, in addition to other movements I have not previously done in other programs. The purpose is to place you in position to perform golf movements, not to turn you into a yoga devotee.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I haven't gotten to any of it yet, but according to the introduction it is yoga and martial arts based. 

I could see from the commercial there was a Tai Chi element. Which is awesome for lots of stuff but IMO tough to pick up without person to person instruction. It's more than mimicking moves.

I didn't do much of it but for me it was tough. Our Sifu had it down and moved gracefully but was rock solid throughout. Really have to understand the forms so moving is automatic. I found trying watch and copy had me looking between my instructor and my limbs. Footwork is a bitch. 

Dave :-)

1 hour ago, Dave2512 said:

I could see from the commercial there was a Tai Chi element. Which is awesome for lots of stuff but IMO tough to pick up without person to person instruction. It's more than mimicking moves.

I didn't do much of it but for me it was tough. Our Sifu had it down and moved gracefully but was rock solid throughout. Really have to understand the forms so moving is automatic. I found trying watch and copy had me looking between my instructor and my limbs. Footwork is a bitch. 

Not that difficult - here is one set of stretches - admittedly, it will take repetition and consistency to get into some of these positions. But that is the purpose of the program -- long term change over a short period of time.

Screen Shot 2016-04-19 at 9.23.14 AM.png

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• 2 weeks later...

Day 12 of Tathata ...

First 10 days is working on the 12 basic movements and mapping repetition. 

Day 7-10 introduces flexibility - they are tougher but you won't be flexed like the instructors so one modifies.

Day 11 and forward. Introduces grip and hand movement.

Taking it to the range is a different experience. Lots of wedges and slower movement. He really wants activation of glutes and that means sending them back and getting a little concave in the back through the swing. Moving glutes and knees backwards, I assume, to prevent early extension, is a challenge during the swing, as is loading the back leg. Less emphasis on straightening back leg, instead, they load it. Lots of empasis on using ground forces, pressures, loading, exacting instruction on what you should feel and movement (which is a primary reason I signed up). I don't turn the hips (don't focus on it), I now use the feet to do any turning and loading, then shins, the hips, etc. While it doesn't focus on turning hips, an instructor told me on the range that I was "posting" well.

More distance comes with the "snap," or what he call "surfing" the knees" and levels the hips - if you snap with speed, you definitely pick up yardage. But if the snap comes at the expense of not loading or moving back - then it does you no good. I keep on mapping with wedges, and then thrown in irons and then a hybrid incrementally for fun. But it's mostly slow work with wedges.

Have picked up at least 10 yards + of carry with 8i in these early stages -135 to 145... and so I have that going for me... gunga galunga... :-)

• 1 month later...

On Lesson 38 - Don't think he wants you to hit a golf ball until Lesson 41, when the short game program begins. Interesting program, each lesson builds a little more upon the last. Lots of repetition to scrape away old patterns and introduce new patterns, and then build on the new patterns. The mental portion of the program keeps you going, because it  can be tedious.

After another day of "training," and at the end of the full swing training, I think tathata offers a lot of detail that the traditional instructor does not offer, offers mental training to give you confidence, and gives you a deeper understanding of the swing.

Do I think video training works without an instructor? Not for me. Just training with tathata and hitting balls, I still have issues, but am working in tandem with my instructor to eliminate them. I think it is easier to work with my instructor now that I have a better understanding of using ground pressure, pressure during the swing, and body movement.

For the cost of a couple of lessons and a personal investment of 40 hrs in time, I think most will find it worthwhile for a deeper understanding of the golf swing in tandem with a good instructor.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

I played in a celebrity golf scramble last week. Our celeb was a local radio host who endorses many products which he admits is mostly crap except Dodge trucks. Radio and TV personalities are given a wad of cash and a script. End of story.

- Shane

Thinking about what tangible benefits I've seen so far from tathata:

1. My flip is gone. That means my driver launches lower and has that piercing flight that slowly reaches a mid-high apex. Did not think I could do that. I've gone to a 10.5 XR16 and lofted up from there.

2. Better weight transfer

3. More distance - for example, gap wedge went from 105 to 115.

4. Better accuracy - it is a more body driven swing.

What did not happen without an instructor

1. At the top, I was still stuck at the top - not enough detail in tathata, although lots of detail in ground pressure and pressure throughout swing. Last weekend, my instructor and I got rid of the stuck, but it only came about because I understood more about the swing. Also, I laughed, because I had figured out the unstuck the week before inside at home, but did not take it to the range. So now I am hopefully unstuck at the top and can lay the club directly onto the ball. We also worked on not going across the line because when you get stuck the body wants to balance, causing issues. Eliminate unstuck and across the line goes away.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Futher discussion of my issues and how it related to Tathata Golf after 39/40 days on full swing:

I believe that unless you know a lot about the swing, you need assistance from an instructor - issues pop up. I think after the 60 days, they encourage a trip to Scottsdale or lessons with their certified instructors.

My two issues, or one issue that influenced the other -- did not go away -- getting stuck at the top -- resolved by a look at the Waldron video regarding the illusion of the backswing -- forgot to take it to the lesson/course because of other thoughts -- instructor and I teamed up to resolve it. Basically, turning chest, shoulders in unison to top so that the triangle formed is high enough to essentially hide your chin.

I was turning the shoulders but at some point stop turning the chest with the shoulders/arms still making their way. That resulting stuck position also influenced the severe in to out path that could result in toe hits or hosel rockets (not swinging left). It was stuck because if the chest does not turn, the arms go backwards. Couple that with poor tempo on the course or under pressure, and it was a disaster at times.

But those issues are now disappearing with work. I did not mind putting in the work during the golf season because the game was inconsistent and unsatisfying without getting past those issues.

Found a training aid to take out arms - http://sure-set-golf.co.uk

They threw it to my instructor as he was leaving the PGA Show.

As we were using it during a lesson, we worked on the postion of the wrists at the top and video.

Those changes were a disaster after the lesson in terms of hitting the ball on the range. Had to learn to reconnect. It took a day off, then time at the range to begin to assimilate new changes.

Discovered I was so intent on backswing and getting that "fixed," that after contact, I essentially lost focus when hitting a ball - video showed the lack of focus. So ... it's a process. Once backswing is "settled," I wil focus on finishing the swing. Inside work and outside are very different - put a ball on the ground and everything changes.

Tathata, at least, gives position and understanding, but no video system is perfect, nor does it give sufficient video angles or explanations. I, along with other students, have given them some feedback on their forum, so I believe they recognize the issues.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

• 5 months later...

Saw a commercial where Brandell  Chamblis was endorsing a golf instruction system . Too bad they picked him to endorse it  , they lost any credibility they might have had. Just saying.

• Upvote 1

I think @Mr. Desmond was/is using this program. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

The thing you have to understand about endorsements, is that people are paid to read a script. Anything should be judged on its merits and reviews, not who is endorsing it. I played in a local celebrity scramble with a radio personality who admitted most of he stuff he endorses is junk. 

- Shane

8 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

The thing you have to understand about endorsements, is that people are paid to read a script. Anything should be judged on its merits and reviews, not who is endorsing it. I played in a local celebrity scramble with a radio personality who admitted most of he stuff he endorses is junk. 

How much are you getting paid for that statement Shane? :-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• iacas changed the title to Tathata golf?
  • 2 months later...

I just purchased the Tathata golf program to do for the winter. I will post updates from time to time and unlike other forums I will post at the end of the program to share if it ultimately worked. Right now I'm an 18 handicap and I have tried every program imaginable. 

13 minutes ago, kingfrenzo said:

I just purchased the Tathata golf program to do for the winter. I will post updates from time to time and unlike other forums I will post at the end of the program to share if it ultimately worked. Right now I'm an 18 handicap and I have tried every program imaginable. 

maybe that's the problem?

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

4 hours ago, kingfrenzo said:

Don't think the program is for me but I'm interested to see your posts.   Please keep us updated on your progress.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Note: This thread is 2490 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!