IGNORED

What Are Your 2016 Golf Goals? Official Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2703 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This year, 2016, I would like to add to my "Awards, Achievements, and Accolades." to do so I hope too

1. I want to find a set of clubs and stick with them.
  2.  I want to find a swing and stick with it, focusing on tweaking not big blow up changes
  3. finally map my shot zones whether painstaking with paper, or book launch monitor session, or purchase game golf.
  4. Start applying LSW (see 3)
  5. get tripod for phone or new camera
  6. Sign up for evolvr (see 5)
  7. participate in at least 3 5 min a day practice topics for the whole month.  I seem to forget about them.
  8. Enjoy golf more
  9. Play the local blitz more regularly
  10. Play more, practice less, but have better practice (see 4)

If i do these things I hope i can finally be a stupid monkey, while making eagles, breaking 90, whilst i am not practicing for 5 min a day.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Get my handicap and then steadily improve on it throughout the year.

Enter at least 3 club competitions this year

Remove the "blow up" holes from my round that always appear

Get into consistent 80s would be my top goal.

Only 1 goal this year, break 80.

~Justin

R11 9.5* w/Matrix Ozik Code 6.2
Taylormade 14* V-Steel w/ProLaunch Blue
Taylormade 16.5* V-Steel w/Aldila NV
Taylormade 21* V-Steel w/Dyanlite Gold S300
Mizuno MX 23 5-6 w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Mizuno MP 32 7-PW w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Callaway X-Forged 52*, 56*, 60*
Mizuno 0803 Custom Slighter

This is a spill over from last year, 

1) single digit hcp

2) drive 340+ consistently

3) pitch/chip inside 150 to within 5ft consistently

4) play more local tourney's

(1) Get my swing back

(2) Stay focused all through the round

(3) Get back to bogey golf

(4) Improve my short game

Driver: Taylormade r7

Fairway Woods: Taylormade Burner 3 and 5 woods

Irons: Taylormade r7 XD 4-PW

Wedges: Cleveland CG14 47*, 52*, and 58*

Putter: Yes! Tiffany

Ball: Nike One Tour (I found a box of these in my garage and they are great)

On 4/9/2016 at 1:05 PM, Cpt Morgan said:

1) single digit hcp

150 feet or yards? If yards, good luck. . .

Everything else looks very reasonable. . .with items 1 and 4 being uniquely trivial.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On 4/9/2016 at 9:05 PM, Cpt Morgan said:

1) single digit hcp

surely a joke post apart from 1 and 4?!

Pretty straight forward, get cap back under 7.  Seem to have found my swing again, finally.  With improving conditions (will be nice to hit approach and pitch shots off grass again), I should be able to get there in a couple months.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

1) Break 100 consistently.  I have played off/on for almost twenty years and can't overcome this hurdle.

2) Improve technique and repeatability of swing

3) Avoid 3 putts

4) Keep the ball in play

5) Avoid feeling rushed to hit shots

This year I'm keeping it simple. I want to overall cut a couple strokes from my handicap, it would be awesome to get down to a 2 or 3 this season. Some things I need to do in order to improve from last year is clean up my 5-10 foot putt percentage, work on keeping my penalty strokes below 2 per round, and to play smarter on approaches by aiming closer to the center of the green.

In the bag:
Driver: R9 Supertri
3W: R9
3i-PW: Mizuno Mp-68
Wedges: Taylormade Racs
Putter: PING Redwood blade

Don't think I actually ended up posting in here at the end of last year. My goals are certainly less lofty than last year's, which ended up being a bit unattainable due to work limiting the number of competitions I could enter and therefore handicap has remained pretty stable.

1. Continue working on evolvr pieces using the 5 Ss system and thereby improving my swing.
  2. Get a stock shot shape (very much linked with #1) and trust it.
  3. Shoot under 85 consistently (10 times this year) - currently on two.
  4. Shoot a round with 9 GIR.
  5. Improve average drive distance to consistently above 235 yards per round - in part by eliminating mishits.
  6. Generally, just work on my game specifically and keep the swing thread updated.

I've got a few cool courses on the radar for the summer with a trip to Scotland, so there's a real incentive to practice!

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Score a 50 in Rory McIlroy's PGA Tour. I don't know if I'll be on the course at all this summer. It depends upon how long this back injury takes to heal. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Adjustment on this. 

Turn my short game into a strength. Right now it's a huge glaring weakness.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Conservatively, I'd like to get to about a 15 hc. Aggressively, I'd like to get to about a 10 hc. Specifically I'd like to not have more than one or two OB/lost balls per round on average which would directly contribute to achieving my previously stated goals.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Great thread!  I was just thinking about this yesterday, as I only just recently filmed my swing (last week) and posted it to the forum (check it out if you'd like to help me out with a tip or two ;-)) after realizing how fundamentally god awful it was.  No wonder breaking 90 has been so difficult!

Anyway, seeing my swing has helped me gain perspective on setting goals and I was able to narrow down in my mind exactly what I would need to achieve first before getting obsessed with any of the usual things (equipment, lower scores, more GIR, etc).  In 2016 I'd like to:

1. Take a series of lessons from a coach who is compatible with my style/personality (never had a lesson, as video of my swing will make clear)
  2. Change my swing so that some basic fundamentals are ingrained and reliably repeatable (takeaway that keeps the club on plane, staying down all the way through the shot, and full rotation of hips/shoulders through impact being 3 that I can see I completely lack right now)
  3. Stick to a workout routine that I can do 3x a week that will workout my core and keep me from developing any back pain as I change my swing
  4. Start breaking 90 as a result of sticking to the above 3 (this is a reach goal, but it's there to hopefully keep me sticking to the first 3 goals)

Nice to read everyone else's goals.  It helps me keep things in perspective.  I don't think these are too lofty, do you?

Improve my approach shots from 150 yards in and hit more greens in regulation. Too often my approach shots are good from a distance perspective, but I am offline - in a bunker, hazard etc. Costs a lot of strokes. If I could average 7 or 8 per round instead of the 4 or 5 I average now, that would be a good result for 2016, make the game more fun, shave a few strokes off my handicap and save quite a few balls as well. 

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

More than 1/3 of the way through the year.

I suppose I want to be able to hit the ball better, and continue to make the numerous swing improvements needed to play better. Will also work more on chipping/pitching and reading putts better.

The route to do this is to follow my new training regimen of many half swings, and lots of slow motion swings and "get more feel kind of more real" type swings with mirrors and cameras.

Hope to get more than 2 keys on the course, and start being able to look better on awkward lies.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 2703 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!