IGNORED

Are golfers more intelligent than other athletes?

PEZGolf
Note: This thread is 3043 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Are golfers more intelligent than other athletes?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Are golfers more intelligent than other athletes?

• Yes
    • No

7 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

The analytical folks (lawyers, engineers, etc, as poster above noted) get into it because to them there is this magical puzzle of the golf swing they can intelligently solve. A thinkers challenge if you will. It is counter productive beyond the basics. I wish I understood this long time ago.

Anyway, intelligence is required. Just not more or less. But it attracts the thinker types more than other general sporting options. That's just stating the obvious.

I see all types of people at the courses I play, farmers to millionaire franchise car dealers to doctors. All do stupid things out there. At the pro level yeah maybe things are different sport to sport. But a typical Saturday afternoon at the golf course has seemingly intelligent people from diverse backgrounds acting foolish. The 4000 slow play threads here are proof enough recreational golfers do silly things.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, mvmac said:

I voted yes, like @iacas said, it's just speculation. I think golf being the type of game it is may attract more intelligent people. 

Actually more I think of it, anyone who takes up golf and sticks with this crazy, frustrating game of chasing a little white ball around might not be so smart after all :-P

7 minutes ago, Dave2512 said:

I see all types of people at the courses I play, farmers to millionaire franchise car dealers to doctors. All do stupid things out there. At the pro level yeah maybe things are different sport to sport. But a typical Saturday afternoon at the golf course has seemingly intelligent people from diverse backgrounds acting foolish. 

Right, there are a lot of intelligent people that make dumb mistakes or lack common sense.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

15 minutes ago, Dave2512 said:

I see all types of people at the courses I play, farmers to millionaire franchise car dealers to doctors. All do stupid things out there. At the pro level yeah maybe things are different sport to sport. But a typical Saturday afternoon at the golf course has seemingly intelligent people from diverse backgrounds acting foolish. The 4000 slow play threads here are proof enough recreational golfers do silly things.

Nobody said ALL golfers are highly intelligent or even intelligent at all. Isn't this a thread about intelligence on a relative level?

OT: you seem to liken Sunday afternoon golf to that of 5 year olds classroom with no monitor in complete mayhem. Where do you play? I must avoid. :-)

Vishal S.

From what I've seen, no.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

36 minutes ago, mvmac said:

Actually more I think of it, anyone who takes up golf and sticks with this crazy, frustrating game of chasing a little white ball around might not be so smart after all :-P

:-D

I was thinking the same.  Why would an intelligent person pick up golf?  It's a simple kid's game.  Using sticks, put a small ball in a much larger cup.   I think I've became less intelligent after picking up golf. 

To all the intelligent people in this forum, happy holidays ... :beer:

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Before you read this post, I want every one on here to know two tings. 1. Fox News is a very biased media outlet IMO. They suck .....period. 2. I am not a racists, and I am not racially motivated by this post. 

So here goes. Fox News once reported, supported by DNA, brain size testing, that Caucasians, in general, were more intelligent than Black People, and other groups. Also, they reported that among the different groups of people on planet earth, that the Asian Folks were the most intelligent.

Now if you give any weight to what Fox News reports, then golfers might be more intelligent than other sport minded folks since fewer Black People play golf than Caucasians, and Asians. 

Me,  I still say "NO".  That intelligence equals out through all sports. 

Mods if you want to delete this post I have no problem with that decision. There is no malice intended what so ever. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

3 hours ago, Dave2512 said:

PEZ SEZ--- on Sunday, Sept. 27, I played at the Stone bridge Golf Course (used to be Higby Hills--the site of a Hogan Tour event) in New Hartford. It was a beautiful fall day and I was by myself, but I know the pro. Larry got me out and I played the front 9 in 1 1/2 hrs. and shot a 2 over 38.

***"Different story on the back 9. I was moving along and caught a 3 some on #14. I waited 10+ minutes on every shot. The 2 women and 1 man were in 2 carts and I was walking!  They never acknowledged me, and never picked up the pace!  I did shoot a 1 under 35, but I was steaming mad when I got done!  I passed them in the parking lot, but NO words were exchanged.

"*******They were driving luxury cars, and acted as if they owned the course, and I know the owners. Some intelligent, well-to-do people can ruin the golfing experience for others, and they do NOT care!

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

4 hours ago, GolfLug said:

No need to change. I voted yes to begin with.  

Ah, I interpreted "Maybe. I voted yes" as "Maybe, I voted yes?"

Meaning maybe I should have voted yes but didn't? This was also based upon subsequent posts where you seemed to be arguing against "yes". Oops, sorry. . .just me overthinking things. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Ahh  . .the classic "unanswerable question" - this is what the internet is made of.   I voted "Yes" but primarily because of wealthier people who play and can afford better educations.  So by "smart", I really mean "educated".  I don't have any stats to back it up, but I feel pretty confident that golf is more accessible to the wealthy.   

If we were talking just about Pro Golf, I'd vote "no".  Plenty of smart and dumb pro athletes in all sports. 

15 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

Ahh  . .the classic "unanswerable question" - this is what the internet is made of.   I voted "Yes" but primarily because of wealthier people who play and can afford better educations.  So by "smart", I really mean "educated".  I don't have any stats to back it up, but I feel pretty confident that golf is more accessible to the wealthy.   

If we were talking just about Pro Golf, I'd vote "no".  Plenty of smart and dumb pro athletes in all sports. 

I think the OT was about the PGA vs other sports pros.  Care to ask the mods to change your vote :-)?

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Ok, let's all vote no and say all sports (real or fake) have geniuses. They're all equal in intelligence.

http://whatculture.com/wwe/wwe-10-superstars-highest-iq.php

Here's a fellow with an IQ 18 points higher than Stephen Hawking. . .

Rowan-Atkinson.jpg

1-7-8

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Golf has been analyzed far more and far longer than any sport.  Perhaps chess and contract bridge with a basic acquired knowledge and practice can then read daily accounts and plot strategies as well. Very much like golfers can assess situations, conditions, and apply their knowledge and learned skill set and create an answer to the situation. The fun of golf then is the execution, successfully completing the challenge. But there is always room for the magic the bounce that skips or careens or rolls to the correct ending without any application of logic physics or druidism.

15 hours ago, rkim291968 said:

I think the OT was about the PGA vs other sports pros.  Care to ask the mods to change your vote :-)?

Actually . .I don't think it was.  But even if it was, don't change my answer.  Every internet poll needs random responses from people who did not understand the question. 

45 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

Actually . .I don't think it was.  But even if it was, don't change my answer.  Every internet poll needs random responses from people who did not understand the question. 

Ok, Chad.  ;-)

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Rainmaker said:

Plus, change it yourself. Mods can't change votes, but the original voters can.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 hours ago, iacas said:

Plus, change it yourself. Mods can't change votes, but the original voters can.

Nice try, Eric . .I know you change all the votes around to suit yourselves. 

Just kidding, of course.  I don't know who Chad is . .but I apologize if I offended.  I just think internet polls are pointless.  Fun at times. .but utterly pointless. 

7 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

Nice try, Eric . .I know you change all the votes around to suit yourselves. 

Just kidding, of course.  I don't know who Chad is . .but I apologize if I offended.  I just think internet polls are pointless.  Fun at times. .but utterly pointless. 

Chad is that guy who screwed up the presidential election in Florida.   It cost Gore the presidency.  This thread is really pointless but it was fun arguing over it.   Not an intelligent thread IMO.   Oops, there I go again.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

27 minutes ago, rkim291968 said:

Chad is that guy who screwed up the presidential election in Florida.   It cost Gore the presidency.  This thread is really pointless but it was fun arguing over it.   Not an intelligent thread IMO.   Oops, there I go again.

"Who's more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows?"

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 3043 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!