IGNORED

2016 Hyundai Tournament of Champions Discussion Thread

Club Rat
Note: This thread is 3034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You would think they would make the course play a bit harder for a Tournament of Champions. 30 under is unreal.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

You would think they would make the course play a bit harder for a Tournament of Champions. 30 under is unreal.

Normally they wouldn't have to because the wind is blowing about 30 MPH. That course under calm conditions is kindofa pushover. 

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

8 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I looked at a handful of player's stats after Saturday and their GIR was > 83%. Seems unusually high. And don't know how they'd make fairways narrower and create more rough other than to grow longer grass. Seemed open. I would guess wind is that course's defense ... and maybe it wasn't up?

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

5 minutes ago, k-troop said:

Normally they wouldn't have to because the wind is blowing about 30 MPH. That course under calm conditions is kindofa pushover. 

Good point.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Brilliant start of the season for Spieth. After his dominant performance last year, I'm really interested to see if he will be able to keep it up in 2016.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Winner's Bag: Jordan Spieth, 2016 Hyundai Tournament of Champions

Jordan-Spieth_t780.thumb.jpg.9e334694b60

By David Dusk - Sunday, January 10, 2016

A list of clubs Jordan Spieth used to win the 2016 Hyundai Tournament of Champions:

DRIVER: Titleist 915D2 (9.5 degrees), with Aldila Rogue Black 60 TX shaft

FAIRWAY WOOD: Titleist 915F (15 degrees), with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7 X shaft

IRONS: Titleist 712U (3), with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 105 X shaft; Titleist 714 AP2 (4-9), with Project X 6.0 shafts

WEDGES: Titleist Vokey Design SM6 Prototype (46, 52, 56, 60 degrees), with Project X 6.0 shafts

PUTTER: Scotty Cameron for Titleist 009 Prototype

BALL: Titleist Pro V1x

What a great shot he hit Saturday onto the 18th green with the 3 iron.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

After the talk of PXG signings last week, it looks as if they did not have a breakout moment - Zach at -11, Kirk at -9, and Hahn did not score well. There is always this week...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

17 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Winner's Bag: Jordan Spieth, 2016 Hyundai Tournament of Champions

Jordan-Spieth_t780.thumb.jpg.9e334694b60

By David Dusk - Sunday, January 10, 2016

A list of clubs Jordan Spieth used to win the 2016 Hyundai Tournament of Champions:

DRIVER: Titleist 915D2 (9.5 degrees), with Aldila Rogue Black 60 TX shaft

FAIRWAY WOOD: Titleist 915F (15 degrees), with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7 X shaft

IRONS: Titleist 712U (3), with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 105 X shaft; Titleist 714 AP2 (4-9), with Project X 6.0 shafts

WEDGES: Titleist Vokey Design SM6 Prototype (46, 52, 56, 60 degrees), with Project X 6.0 shafts

PUTTER: Scotty Cameron for Titleist 009 Prototype

BALL: Titleist Pro V1x

What a great shot he hit Saturday onto the 18th green with the 3 iron.

That 3i is a magical club.  Don't know why the announcers kept referring to it as a driving iron, perhaps because of the graphite shaft?  I think a typical driving iron has about 8° less loft than a 3i.  Either way, it's gotta be Speith's favorite stick right now.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

18 minutes ago, Gunther said:

That 3i is a magical club.  Don't know why the announcers kept referring to it as a driving iron, perhaps because of the graphite shaft?  I think a typical driving iron has about 8° less loft than a 3i.  Either way, it's gotta be Speith's favorite stick right now.

I think because it's got more meat on it  then a standard 3 iron and perhaps the U in the name stands for utility?

But, yes, it seems as though he hit nothing but perfect shots with that thing all weekend.  Gotta be his favorite. :)

• Upvote 1

That orange shaft is the DI 6 which is usually in woods so it is kind of a "franken-iron!" Great shafts but I only have them in my driver and 3-wood.  Of course he has access to things that may not be on the open market.

18 hours ago, Gunther said:

I think because of the U for "utility" that some call the  712U a driving iron (it's a bit like an old hybrid-iron that has been out since the early 00's in Japan). It has a hollow construction, thinner face, with a blade look. As a result, most call it a driving iron since most people can't hit it off the deck unless they are elite amateurs or professionals with speed (got that from a review). The 716 T-MB is the evolution of the 712. The 716 is hollow construction with tungsten weighting on heel and toe. Apparently, one can buy an entire set for $225-250/club. I think they comp Jordan. :-)

Edited by Mr. Desmond
  • Upvote 1

The PGA Tour. These guys  can  can't play.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 3034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!