IGNORED

What hybrid(s) do you use?

9wood
Note: This thread is 2995 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a TaylorMade RocketBallz Hybrid rescue 3 and 4 iron that came with the set; the rest--- 5i-PW conventional irons. I love to use them for anything outside my 5 iron range, or on short par 4's and layup par 5's. Also plays great out of trees or tough lies for bumps and runs.

9 hours ago, Dave325 said:

my go to club for the long range fairway shot is the Cobra Bio Cell. 

I love to hear that

9 hours ago, Dave2512 said:

Tour Edge XCG6 but I would go back to Cobra.

Love hearing that

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've got a TaylorMade Rescue 3 hybrid and a Gigagolf ps500 4 hybrid.  I love the TM, but I have a mixed relationship with the Gigagolf.  It can be hook-prone at times.

I've been thinking about upgrading them to a matched pair of something.  I've been considering Pings or Titleists.  I don't care for the look of the recent TM stuff, especially the white.  Don't like the white.

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

15 minutes ago, davechen said:

I've got a TaylorMade Rescue 3 hybrid and a Gigagolf ps500 4 hybrid.  I love the TM, but I have a mixed relationship with the Gigagolf.  It can be hook-prone at times.

I've been thinking about upgrading them to a matched pair of something.  I've been considering Pings or Titleists.  I don't care for the look of the recent TM stuff, especially the white.  Don't like the white.

Never heard of Gigagolf until now

An old taylormade burner 4 (21*), which has been in my bag since 09!

over the years this has become my 210-215 club. 
I have considered buying a 3 and replacing my 5 wood.

I am just too lazy or too broke to do so!
But one day.....

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

11 hours ago, vangator said:

I have a 4 hybrids (23*) but I don't carry it now.  I prefer the 4 iron and then the 5 wood.

I have a 4 hybrid (not 4 hybrids).  Damn autocorrect.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Adams hybrids, the Idea Pro line exclusively now for the last five years or so.  Before that I had TaylorMade and Titleist and I never really liked any of them as they had a tendency to hook a lot.  (I swear it wasn't me--it was the hybrids.)

Currently have two Idea Pro A3 hybrids at 18* and 23*, and one Pro Mini hybrid at 20*.  I'll either carry the 20* and 4 wedges or the 18* and 23* and only 3 wedges, depending on...(well I'd like to say depending on the course I'm playing, but it really just depends on what I feel like doing that day).

• Upvote 1

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

23 minutes ago, k-troop said:

Adams hybrids, the Idea Pro line exclusively now for the last five years or so.  Before that I had TaylorMade and Titleist and I never really liked any of them as they had a tendency to hook a lot.  (I swear it wasn't me--it was the hybrids.)

Currently have two Idea Pro A3 hybrids at 18* and 23*, and one Pro Mini hybrid at 20*.  I'll either carry the 20* and 4 wedges or the 18* and 23* and only 3 wedges, depending on...(well I'd like to say depending on the course I'm playing, but it really just depends on what I feel like doing that day).

It's not you, it actually is the hybrids.  Many are offset so much I guess because they were originally designed as "game improvement" clubs for the high capper.  I couldn't hit the early models because of that.  I mean, I could crush em, but they hooked off the planet.  The RBZ has very little offset so I hit it purty straight.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I have an older Titleist 585H 19* w/ X100 steel shaft. I feel I can control distance better with it on approach shots than some of the springier hybrids that are out today. No offset and not much draw bias either which is ideal for me.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

1 hour ago, vangator said:

I have a 4 hybrid (not 4 hybrids).  Damn autocorrect.

What is the make of it?

I made the switch to hybrids a couple of years ago for all of my long and mid-irons and it brought me back in the game from the fairway.  I have the Nike Sumo (tear drop shape) hybrid in 2,3, and 4, and Callaway X Hot 5 and 6 hybrids.  With a good swing I can get the ball to (or near) the green from 200 - 210 out with the 2h, and rarely miss the green from about 140 with the 6h.  For a 64 year old that can averages 220 - 225 with an occasional 240-250 pop off the tee, I am still comfortable from the men's tees which I have always l have always played from.

There may be better hybrids available and I may experiment in the future but right now there is nothing broken.

Good luck in your search!

53 minutes ago, 9wood said:

What is the make of it?

A Cleveland Gliderail.  I got a good deal at Dick's on it last year.  They had a Nickent adjustable for $10 more.  Wish I wouldn't have been so cheap.  I'm not sure what was adjustable.  Don't care about adjustable loft.  I want a club with a slightly open face.  Haven't seen that in a hybrid yet.

The Cleveland is a hook machine.  Or maybe I should say I'm a hook machine.  I hit everything with a strong draw, but this hybrid goes a little bit too much for me.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

10 minutes ago, vangator said:

A Cleveland Gliderail.  I got a good deal at Dick's on it last year.  They had a Nickent adjustable for $10 more.  Wish I wouldn't have been so cheap.  I'm not sure what was adjustable.  Don't care about adjustable loft.  I want a club with a slightly open face.  Haven't seen that in a hybrid yet.

The Cleveland is a hook machine.  Or maybe I should say I'm a hook machine.  I hit everything with a strong draw, but this hybrid goes a little bit too much for me.

Callaway X2 Hot Pro is pretty good according to this review. I got mine really cheap in a 20 degree model.

Performance: X2 Hot Pro Hybrid

Last year’s X Hot Pro hybrids, while lower spinning than previous generations, still generated more spin than some better players were looking for. Callaway took this feedback and decided to lower the CG (center of gravity) by 40 percent in an effort to decrease spin and lower ball flight. It worked. While the launch angle was only marginally lower than the X2 Hot hybrid, the overall trajectory was lower while still resulting in nice flight time and carry numbers. My spin numbers were excellent and when properly struck, the golf ball jumped off the face and flew forever.

7f1194b450f0ae5b5ecdc4b907bedf51

In contrast to the X2 Hot hybrid, the majority of my shots had less draw and I was more prone to hitting straight shots and cuts with the X2 Hot Pro hybrid. Mishits off the heel and toe still generated good ball speed, but it was much easier to mishit the Pro version. High shots and low shots on the face were more costly resulting in average distance loss of 4 to 5 yards.

Those were the averages. Where it gets really interesting is when I looked at the top five swings with both hybrids, based on carry and total distance, smash factor, spin and launch angle. The X2 Hot Pro hybrid outperforms the standard hybrid in every category except smash factor. I produced 4 more yards of carry and 7 more total yards, a straight to slight cut ball flight with a fractionally lower smash factor and lower launch. In fact, my three longest shots of the day were with the X2 Hot Pro hybrid and each shot was at least 4 yards longer than the longest X2 Hot shot. If I could be assured I would hit the ball almost perfectly every time, the X2 Hot Pro hybrid would be in my bag. However, it also means that the X2 Hot Pro hybrid is less forgiving, requires a lot more work to hit quality shots and truly is a club fit for the very best of players.

1d56bcf784f544b7332f37a5c204d132

Both clubs outperform my current gamer in every category and generated average distance gains of 5 to7 yards. But more importantly, both clubs produced results I expected based on Callaway’s claims. For the better player, the Pro version should be very enticing, but even if you favor pro models, I would recommend also testing the standard version as a comparison. For the golfer looking for help getting the ball into the air and greater forgiveness on mishits, the standard version should go to the top of the list of hybrids to test.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

No hybrids any more.  I used to have 2, but they got little use after I got new irons last year (TM Aero Burner 4I-AW).  I already had an Aero Burner 5W that I love, and I really wanted to like the hybrid of the same brand, but every hybrid I tried gave the same result.  Instead of my favored fade, the hybrids all started left and worked farther left.  It didn't seem to matter what brand or how I tried to adjust, I just couldn't get them to feel right. 

I didn't want that sort of a change up in my shot set up for just one club, so I went with the Aero Burner 7W instead - no regrets.  

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I have 3 hybrids.  My 3 and 5 are Callaway X-Hot and my 4 is a Callaway Diablo Edge.  I love my 4 and 5, but have a love/hate relationship with my 3.  I love when it's acting properly, but hate that it doesn't act properly very often. 

DJ

Follow me at Game Golf Profile: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/djfajt71 

None.  I like my 3 and 4 irons.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Just went back to a new, old stock model Callaway X-Hot 5 hybrid.  Think I got it at Rock Bottom Golf for $69.  So easy to hit and they go a mile!

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

I use a Cobra BioCell 22.5* in the summer months. I rarely have an opportunity to hit anything longer than that off the turf. It's about the same loft as my 3 iron that has a 5 stamped on it, but it's not as good in wet conditions due to the turf interaction. I carry a 2 iron that has a 4 stamped on it as well. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Note: This thread is 2995 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!