IGNORED

Golf Course Soil Type / Composition - What is your preference?

dave s
Note:Β This thread is 2974 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Golf Course Turf and Soil Type - Your Preference?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What suits your game better?

• Bent Grass with dirt soil base; soft and lush
    • Bermuda Grass with sand base; hard and fast
    • Other? Explain

Up north (Ohio here) most decent courses feature bent grass fairways and greens, dirt soil below, soft and a bit on the wet side is what you can expect.Β  The kind of fairway that sets up for carving out a nice 10" long pelt of turf.Β  Balls stop nicely on bent-grass greens greens.

The flip side of that is playing down south where soil is sand-based, bermuda (or its variations) grass and nice firm fairways that lets you to really go after a ball without fear of a mud bath or that 10" pelt of land being ripped from the earth.

I live up north but PREFER playing on the harder conditions of sand-based soil. The hollow 'thump' of an iron or wood off the fairway is a pleasing sound to me.Β  Just seem to hit it more solidly off firm conditions.

Which do you prefer?

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Anything but that Bermuda grass. I just played two rounds in Florida on that garbage and I can't figure it out. No idea what to do on a pitch with that stuff.

Colin P.

More of a problem for exacting pros that expect specific results for approach shots and getting up and down. I don't strike the ball well enough to worry about it I just want the courses to be in good condition duringΒ peak golf season.

Dave :-)

Bent grass greens. Fescue and bent grass fairways. Fescue rough. Putts roll true, and nice lies in the fairway.Β 

Poa annua greens at most courses in the area are like mystery meat. Difficult to read and you never know what's going to happen.

Β 

Julia

:callaway:Β Β :cobra:Β Β Β Β :seemore:Β Β :bushnell:Β  :clicgear:Β Β :adidas:Β Β :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree;Β 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5Β degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Here in northern Virginia, we play mostly on bent greens and fairways over natural soil, although usually modern greens have beenΒ built on a foot or more Β of sand base.Β  In the Pinehurst area, its primarily a sand base, with a variety of grass types. Β Some courses with bent greens struggle in the heat of the summer, but the bermuda grasses stay dormant for a big part of the year-Β Β  I prefer a quick-draining subsoil, so I like the Carolina sandhills area, although I struggle with healthy growing Bermuda rough. Β Even better are the really firm links courses I've played in Scotland and Ireland. Β Its a completely different type of game at times.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist:Β 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 ballsΒ 
:ping:Β G5i putter, B60 version
Β :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy:,Β :true_linkswear:, and AshworthΒ shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I like any surface that has fairways that are divot friendley. Not that I take deep divots, but on some occasions they would come in handy. I play on some pretty firm fairways out here, that have a sandy/gravel base. It's can be tough squeezing a ball off those conditions. Especially if they are dry. When they re-seed out here some of these courses are like playing off hard pan. Makes for lenthy drives however,Β Β which is a good thing.Β 

Greens, I just like them to be well maintained, with no bare spots.Β 

I am not any kind of grass expert as to what kind I might be playing on at any given time. I do know some play easier than others. There is a course near Ft Worth that kicks my back side everytime I play there. I have noΒ idea what type of grass that is.Β 

I am fortunate that right now I have what some might consider a low end, home course, because the green fees are more than fair. The grass conditionsΒ of the course matches up quite well with any of the more expensive, high end courses in the area.Β 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Bent grass fairways are the best, especially when they are firm. Β Other grasses (Bermuda, Kentucky bluegrass, fescue, etc...) are fine, too. Β Certainly sand and/or sandy loam soil aidsΒ drainage and thus the firmness of the ground. Β It is fun to hit a well struck drive and watch it bounding down the fairway. Β Not so much fun as a shorter hitter to see your drive hit and hop a foot or two.Β 

The absolute toughest rough for me is long Bermuda rough. Β Not only is it hard to find your ball, but then hitting anything more than a sand wedge is a real challenge.

I am not a big fan of older versions of Bermuda on greens, very grainy, often slow. Β I have played on some recent variations of Bermuda that better eliminate grain and are quite speedy.

Β 

Brian Kuehn

22 hours ago, colin007 said:

Anything but that Bermuda grass. I just played two rounds in Florida on that garbage and I can't figure it out. No idea what to do on a pitch with that stuff.

I feel the same way.Β I don't play bermuda except on vacation so I agree they can wreak havocΒ with my short game!

20 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

Bent grass greens. Fescue and bent grass fairways. Fescue rough. Putts roll true, and nice lies in the fairway.Β 

Poa annua greens at most courses in the area are like mystery meat. Difficult to read and you never know what's going to happen.

Β 

It was fun watching the pros play out west here on poa annua! I grew up on the stuff and I am used to changing at the end of the day as the bloom happens. Poa free greens are just too easy ;-) Although I do love a good FAST green with no mystery to it!!

I grew up in western NY so I believe it is bent grass.Β  I like those fairways.Β  Greens seem to putt more true than here in Florida.

I've lived the past 35 years in Florida so I'm familiar with Bermuda.Β  Thick / lushΒ Bermuda rough is like hell.Β  Thinner Bermuda rough is not nearly as much of a problem.Β  I like well maintained Florida greens.

I prefer the playing conditions in the north.Β  Ball sits up nicely on the fairways.Β  Greens are receptive.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

9 hours ago, ev780 said:

I feel the same way.Β I don't play bermuda except on vacation so I agree they can wreak havocΒ with my short game!

It was fun watching the pros play out west here on poa annua! I grew up on the stuff and I am used to changing at the end of the day as the bloom happens. Poa free greens are just too easy ;-) Although I do love a good FAST green with no mystery to it!!

Putting on broccoli. From Aimpoint.

Julia

:callaway:Β Β :cobra:Β Β Β Β :seemore:Β Β :bushnell:Β  :clicgear:Β Β :adidas:Β Β :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree;Β 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5Β degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I grew up on Bermuda in south Texas and played a ton of my adult years on NE and mid-Atlantic grass.Β  Both have their pros and cons; both can give you fits if you're used to the other kind.

The only kind of grass/soil I don't like is the crap they have in Hawaii.Β  Hard, volcanic soil with incredibly dense grass.Β  The first time I took a divot at Turtle Bay I thought I was going to need to x-ray my wrist.Β  The greens are the worst of both worlds:Β  very firm without being fast and smooth.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

I played what I was told was Bermuda when I played in North Carolina on vacation. It was very fast but the course was generally beautiful. I'm not good enough to stress about grass type outside of worrying about tall fescue that can hide golf balls.Β 

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5Β° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15Β° wood, Callaway XR 19Β° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24Β° hybrid, Callaway X-24Β 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47Β°/12Β°, Cleveland REG 588 52Β°/08Β°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56Β°/13Β°, 60Β°/10Β°,Β Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Good enough to support healthy turf would be my answer. I have held the job title of soil scientist. With irrigation, fertilization and management many different types of soils can be used for golf courses. Β I prefer bent grass, but that is just what I am used to. Rye grass over seeding in the winter looks nice, but can be hard to putt on and lightning fast.

Note:Β This thread is 2974 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!