IGNORED

Limited flight ball, would you play it?

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 2939 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Say the PGA changes to a limited flight ball for the tour?   

35 members have voted

1. 1. Do you play the new ball?

• yes
    • No
    • Depends

Jack Nicklaus has been a proponent of changing the golf ball to limit the distance so the course don't have to change to accommodate. If the PGA implements a restricted flight ball for the tour pros, would you want hang with the pros and play the ball or stick to your current ball and play the game the same way you do now? I don't think I would want to give up the distance but I don't hit it as far as the pros do either. I think I would stick with my current ball but I think I might have a bit of a cheating the system feeling.

Edited by Valleygolfer
fix poll

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I don't see bifurcation happening. Because of that, I never give this kind of thing much thought.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

If the USGA changed the equipment rules on the golf ball then I would play the legal golf ball. 

• Upvote 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

No way, I'm just getting to the point where my driving distance is getting acceptable.  When I can hit my drives 320+ yards then I might consider it but I don't see that ever happening.  

Joe Paradiso

I'm torn here. Though I would certainly want to play the same ball as the Tour players I rarely ever purchase balls and don't see myself spending the extra money to conform.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

My ball already has limited flight, I don't need any help. :cry:

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I don't see bifurcation happening. Because of that, I never give this kind of thing much thought.

I don't necessarily either but Jack commented again on it today on XM radio. In the spirit of speculation I thought I would get the forum's opinion because I don't know how I would react to this. The game would still be the game but obviously shorter. Question is whether I would want to change or quit playing. For example, I used to fish when I lived in the midwest until I moved to the northeast. I lost interest in fishing after realizing the grow season was shorter in the northeast and the possibility of catching a fish as large as I caught in a warmer climate was unlikely. This would be a step back in game play imho and I think it would be hard to change. Idk though since it has not happened and I hope it doesn't really.

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

If the USGA changed the equipment rules on the golf ball then I would play the legal golf ball. 

I was trying to imply that only the tour players would require this ball.

10 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

I was trying to imply that only the tour players would require this ball.

Will not happen, so I don't imply it. 

I would play whatever ball the USGA deems legal. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

4 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Will not happen, so I don't imply it. 

I would play whatever ball the USGA deems legal. 

Let's say it's optional then. Both are legal for amateur play. If you can't handle that then go back to twitter. :-D

1 minute ago, Valleygolfer said:

Let's say it's optional then. Both are legal for amateur play.

Depends. I am sure if both options were available for amateurs then there would be tournaments where maybe it was limited flight only. Maybe a scramble with limited flight only. Maybe the foursome wants to just use the limited flight balls in a money game. 

Maybe I would just want to try it out or switch between the two from time to time. 

So again, I would play whichever ball the USGA deemed legal. :-P

For me it's not a this or that answer. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Sure, why not. It might go farther than the limited flight ball I am using now. No big deal. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I can't see it ever happening . . . maybe if they reduced the ball flight for *everyone* .. but I don't see that happening, either.  Probably the best they could do is hold it right here and not allow new, further-flying balls. 

Oh, right. . but you asked if I'd play it.  If it was for everyone then, yes, I would.  If it was for pros only, then no . .I'd play the ball that amateurs are allowed to play.

Edited by Rainmaker
forgot to answer the question

If I wanted even longer shots into greens, I'd just move back a set of tees.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I voted no but......roll back course lengths to 1970-80's lengths and I would consider it or I would play shorter tees. Regardless, if I want to maintain my handicap, and I do, I gotta do it by the rules

Nicklaus has signed onto other efforts like this before. One of them might be called "mini-golf"! Some golf ball manufacturers developed balls that Nicklaus could smash with a driver, and would fall out of the sky like a dead duck about 170-180 out! Nicklaus's contention was that courses could be built that wouldn't need so much acreage, wouldn't have so much grass to mow, thus would be much cheaper to maintain, and provide a less expensive golf alternative to all.

What a load of hooey! That would sure get us to line up to buy tickets to PGA events to go out and watch Bubba, and Dustin, and Jason smash drives that might go 200 yards!

Yes, with the combination of equipment advances and player fitness, distances may have gotten out of hand, but so what?! In his prime Nicklaus was longer than everybody else, but I don't recall him bitching about it! And I'm a Nicklaus fan. Or was! Let's face it, in golf the long hitters have an advantage! So, what's new? That's like saying tall players have an advantage in basketball, or fast guys have an advantage in the 100 meter dash!

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2939 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!