IGNORED

David Ledbetter rant-ish on Michelle Wie criticisms

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2915 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It's tough when you're famous and check the internet and see all the pile on, whether it's warranted or not. Sometimes, I think it's smarter to just not check at all, but it's tough to do that if you're active on social media and filtering the negative stuff out, some of it still makes it past the filters.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I don't think Leadbetter's instruction is blameless. I don't like the things he did with Michelle, and I'm in a position to know.

There's a reason Leadbetter is called "Lead Poison."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

18 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't think Leadbetter's instruction is blameless. I don't like the things he did with Michelle, and I'm in a position to know.

The thing about that rant is he doesn't go into any specifics. It's not like he said - I'm having her do this, this and that and this, this and that is why I'm doing it so she can get to there and there. He didn't address her injuries as well. If his reasons make sense, he'd face less criticism.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

The thing about that rant is he doesn't go into any specifics. It's not like he said - I'm having her do this, this and that and this, this and that is why I'm doing it so she can get to there and there. He didn't address her injuries as well. If his reasons make sense, he'd face less criticism.

Agreed.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

20 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

He also seemed to blame her for her shortcomings. Criticizing one of your most famous students doesn't seem like a great business idea. He really shouldn't be addressing this at all, beyond maybe saying that they're both working hard and hope that results will get better.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I don't think it's fair to kill David for Michelle, Annika said it best years ago- the girl is just not talented enough, and to be a top player in golf you need heaps of talent, there are tons of aspiring pros that work their butts off, talent is the X factor the elevates the real deal.

Also he all but said the girl doesn't know how to take instruction, her terrible putting technique alone is evidence of that.

Lydia Ko is doing all right under Leadbetter, why? because she's got tons of talent.

Another thing is why even talk about the internet trolls and their stupidity? it does nothing, it serves no one, it's just giving them attention, don't even give them the time of day I say.

Edited by MrDC

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Totally agree. He has ruined her and now it seems he wants to blame her with things like it is mental, blah blah. Kinda reeks of the Haney book trying to say "it wasn't me".

Michael

• Administrator
1 hour ago, MrDC said:

I don't think it's fair to kill David for Michelle, Annika said it best years ago- the girl is just not talented enough, and to be a top player in golf you need heaps of talent, there are tons of aspiring pros that work their butts off, talent is the X factor the elevates the real deal.

Michelle Wie is not talented? IMO she's more talented than all but a handful of other LPGA Tour players.

1 hour ago, MrDC said:

Also he all but said the girl doesn't know how to take instruction, her terrible putting technique alone is evidence of that.

She's putted pretty well the past few years with that putting setup.

1 hour ago, MrDC said:

Lydia Ko is doing all right under Leadbetter, why? because she's got tons of talent.

She has actually only recently started working with him, and took a downturn for awhile.

I didn't think he was criticizing Michelle - he was just saying that she's her own person and does what she wants - not only the things he says.  I guess that's reasonable. 

It was sort of a non-rant for a rant, really.  All he was saying is that it kind of sucks when people get all nasty on twitter, etc and that he feels he's getting a disproportionately large share of the blame.

Yeah - I'm not surprised he feels that way.  I have no idea, myself, if he's responsible or not or what goes on in Michelle Wie's training.  I notice that he catches a lot of criticism but still gets new high profile students.  I would say if my daughter were headed for LPGA superstardom and being courted by top-tier coaches, I'd lean towards other coaches.  I have no idea who .. but it's not really something I have to figure out exactly right now, lol. 

Standard CYA from David.  If she did great he'd be in line to take credit for it but since she's not, he's blaming her for being stubborn and making it seem like she's not following his instruction.  The best laugh was him comparing himself to Butch Harmon, he couldn't shine Harmons shoes.  

Leadbetter has a bigger ego than Haney and the only reason he's even on PGA Tour Radio is because he's associated with Ko and Wie

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Wie is such a unique case since by many standards, her career has already been a success.  Four LPGA wins, one of them a US Open, and she's still only 26.  Wie is still top 60 in the world, it's not like she's fallen off the map entirely.

But Why is he with Lydia Ko?  Is he the world's ultimate salesman?  Because I'm sure Lydia has multiple smart people looking out for her interests.   I don't know the answer . .  .but what he teaches must click with some people, at least. I'm actually not totally familiar with what he teaches . .so I'll just shut up now, lol.

7 hours ago, newtogolf said:

Leadbetter has a bigger ego than Haney and the only reason he's even on PGA Tour Radio is because he's associated with Ko and Wie

I'm no Leadbetter fan (looks too much like an Eric Idle character), but to be fair, the only reason any of these coaches are on PGA Tour Radio is because they are associated with *insert Tour Pro name here*. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

30 minutes ago, Ernest Jones said:

I'm no Leadbetter fan (looks too much like an Eric Idle character), but to be fair, the only reason any of these coaches are on PGA Tour Radio is because they are associated with *insert Tour Pro name here*. 

"Is Michelle a good putter? Nudge Nudge. Wink Wink. Say no more! Say no more!"

nudge nudge.jpg

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

4 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

"Is Michelle a good putter? Nudge Nudge. Wink Wink. Say no more! Say no more!"

nudge nudge.jpg

Yeah, looking at it from that perspective, Wie is a fabulous putter. ;-)

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

7 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

But Why is he with Lydia Ko?

Well she maybe hasn't been with him that long, but since signing up with Leadbetter, Lydia has completely overhauled her swing, and then gone on to win a rookie of the year, to become the Women's #1 ranked player, and to win two majors and two CME Globes.

So I doubt Lydia has any complaints.

And thing is, Lydia has obviously been using what looks like a "Leadbetter swing". She's pretty much doing the "A swing", but I also see at least some similarities with other well known Leadbetter students, like Nick Faldo, Nick Price, Ernie Els, Ian Poulter, Byeong-Hun An, Suzann Petterson, Se Ri Pak, and Na Yeon Choi.

David mentions in the clip above about not liking Michelle's "restricted hip turn" and "tight look". And that's not something I've seen from other Leadbetter golfers.   

Edited by acerimusdux
added links

Ledbetter has been around a long time to not to be any good at his craft, and his critique of players. I don't know much about the guy, but longevity in any job shows something positive.  

I have followed Wie a little, and always came away with the opinion she was a bit on the lazy, complacent side with regards to her golf game. 

I do like that "Lead Poison" moniker. Kind of catchy. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

22 hours ago, MrDC said:

Another thing is why even talk about the internet trolls and their stupidity? it does nothing, it serves no one, it's just giving them attention, don't even give them the time of day I say.

Great post.....

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Note: This thread is 2915 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!