IGNORED

2016 U.S. Open at Oakmont Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2843 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

9 minutes ago, Chilli Dipper said:

Henrik Stenson made a steeper fall a few years ago, only to come back stronger than he had ever been.

Perhaps Hunter has been under the impression he could fix his game with tools provided by Ace Hardware...

haha very true. Henrik worked his tail off, though, to get back to where he is. We'll see if Hunter has the work ethic to get his game back.

Early yet, but it sure looks like the 2nd wave of guys are definitely getting the better end of the draw. Reminds me a lot of Bethpage in '09 when the first wave of guys kept getting disruptions and had to deal with the weather more and the 2nd wave got to play 36 on Friday in soft conditions and took advantage of it big time. What's happening is these guys aren't fooled anymore like the first wave was. They are now seeing the green light and playing this course more like a regular Tour Event.

1 hour ago, Gunther said:

Awesome, thanks.  Looks like my assumptions were correct.  Dunno why that info wasn't in the app, I just figured it hadn't been determined.  Google is my friend, even though they are in Obama's pocket.  Wait, did I type that or just think it?

The app is a bit disappointing IMO. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Anyone else like Shane McDonohough a lot more than Joe Buck? Seems like Shane just calls the game and doesn't get too cute with it. Joe tries too hard, IMO. Tries to be too cute, too funny and almost calls golf like he does a football game. I like Joe when he does football and baseball, but so far haven't liked him doing golf.

I'm getting tired of the audio quality of the commentary--sounds like they're speaking into a tin can.  It's not something I normally would pay attention to (usually more interested in what they're saying, for better or worse), so for me to notice it's got to be bad.  Does nobody at FOX know anything about audio equipment/settings/etc.?

I'd turn the audio off, but I do like hearing the background of the the shots being played and spectator reaction.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

10 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Anyone else like Shane McDonohough a lot more than Joe Buck? Seems like Shane just calls the game and doesn't get too cute with it. Joe tries too hard, IMO. Tries to be too cute, too funny and almost calls golf like he does a football game. I like Joe when he does football and baseball, but so far haven't liked him doing golf.

Completely agree.

I will say though Fox is horrendous overall. Holly is awful, Buck tries too hard, Brooks and Azinger are annoying and Strange acts like he hates everything. Gimme NBC please.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

13 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Not a fan!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

i will put up with any announcers if the network includes more ProTracer and coverage of full shots and less (non-pivotal) putts.

Colin P.

Watching with the sound off

It would stand to reason that between CBS and NBC they figured out over the past couple of decades who the best folks for doing golf are (hey- they even fired Vin Scully and Dick Enberg along the way!) - so Fox is making do with some of their "staff" announcers and a collection of "other" golf commentators that have been waiting in the wings or simply had not made the cut previously.  Azinger is the one guy I like because he provides that competitive (and successful) players point of view - Juli Inkster also seems to bring something to the coverage but I will be willing to bet that Holly Sanders in her tight-fitting cocktail/night-out-on-the-town outfits will get more air time than an LPGA Hall-of-Famer observing play on the course.

Course looks "gettable" at this point in time with the softening up due to the rain - will be interesting to see how quickly it dries out or if the humidity allows the moisture to stay around and keep the course a bit more playable than it would have been otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Coronagolfman said:

Watching with the sound off

It would stand to reason that between CBS and NBC they figured out over the past couple of decades who the best folks for doing golf are (hey- they even fired Vin Scully and Dick Enberg along the way!) - so Fox is making do with some of their "staff" announcers and a collection of "other" golf commentators that have been waiting in the wings or simply had not made the cut previously.  Azinger is the one guy I like because he provides that competitive (and successful) players point of view - Juli Inkster also seems to bring something to the coverage but I will be willing to bet that Holly Sanders in her tight-fitting cocktail/night-out-on-the-town outfits will get more air time than an LPGA Hall-of-Famer observing play on the course.

Course looks "gettable" at this point in time with the softening up due to the rain - will be interesting to see how quickly it dries out or if the humidity allows the moisture to stay around and keep the course a bit more playable than it would have been otherwise.

And this is what happens when you hand the US Open to a network who really only covers one PGA event. You're not going to get the best talent. They wanted Feherty.....well Feherty is going to go to a network that actually covers a lot of events, not one that covers just one. I think that's the biggest problem Fox has is they're stuck with average to below average talent because the big talent is going to networks who cover golf regularly. That's why I didn't like when Fox won the US Open package away from NBC. Now if they can negotiate with the PGA Tour and maybe get 5+ events a year, they may be able to buy some of the better talent from the other networks.

Edited by ChrisP

32 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

The app is a bit disappointing IMO. 

I'm enjoying it for how I'm using it which is the favorites leaderboard and to watch occasionally.  But I agree, it could be a bit more comprehensive.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

5 minutes ago, atb5079 said:

Just some of my take:

I was there Wednesday and yesterday, stood right next to Colin Montgomery for a little while by 9 green and he is A LOT less heavy in person than he appears on tv. It was odd. He also seemed like a real nice guy. Had some lengthy conversations with a few spectators.

Michael Breed walked by me as well, seemed pretty cool. Todd Lewis and Rex Hoggard were all over the place, as was that Golf Digest reporter I can't remember his name.

James Hahn signed some stuff for me, super nice and personable with everyone. Charley Hoffman signed some stuff as well but was on his cell phone the whole time and didn't look anyone in the eye; seemed deep in convo with I would assume his wife. Kevin Foley walked by and signed some stuff, very down to earth and acted like he didn't forget where he came from and was in our shoes not too long ago. Really down to earth and nice. 

Jamie Donaldson is absolutely hilarious messing around with Westwood on the putting green and ZJ was pretty cool to the fans. Being there in person, I really get the feeling Jordan is putting on somewhat of an act. Also Matthew Fitzpatrick is with Under Armour now and was signing stuff for some fans, smiling and very cool to people, but 2 guys were right by him and barking "good luck Jordan, kick ass this week". He laughed and was like "I am Matthew..."

Andrew "Beef" Johnston seemed pretty laid back and you could tell he was just in awe to be there. Emiliano Grillo refused to sign autographs and ignored all fans on the holes I saw him on. On Wednesday he was with Matteo Manassero and Matteo signed so many autographs and Grillo just ignored everyone.

Danny Lee giggles all day it seems. Even yesterday morning was he was all over the place off the tee, he just chuckled and scrambled so well early. Lots of people were laughing with him.

Oakmont is beautiful and they really have done an incredible job despite the terrible weather yesterday, but the one thing I will say is without all the trees, there are so many distractions visibly and audibly for the players. Holes 1 and 2 are so noisy with the road along the right side and turnpike down in below and in between. Can't believe they don't have a sound barrier along the right; the trees that remain on the right are not enough. Really can't blame the players when they bitch about fan noise or even back off a shot sometimes.

Standing right behind Rory and DJ on some of their drives was incredible. The sound and flight in person of their drives is insane and noticeably different than any other player. Dufner's iron shot off the tee on 13 was a thing of beauty; such a pretty and smooth swing.

Gmac was also really cool with the fans. He pull hooked a drive on 17 (on Wed) completely in the terrible trampled mess where we were standing and he was just cackling with fans laughing at how tough this course can be.

Anyway, tons of takeaways, weather sucked yesterday, but all in all pretty cool experience.

Good post!

Riley

DJ is locked in right now. Probably should be -4 or -5, but damn he his playing well.

Edited by atb5079

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

2 minutes ago, atb5079 said:

DJ is locked in right now. Probably should be -4 or -5, but damn he his playing well.

He'll **** it all up soon enough. I'll bet my cat.

Day and McIlroy not having a good tournament thus far.

Edited by RJH999

Riley

Note: This thread is 2843 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!