IGNORED

2016 U.S. Open at Oakmont Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2838 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 minutes ago, pumaAttack said:

Maybe it's the rain but oakmont doesn't look all that hard.  Hard, yes.  The hardest golf course in America?  Not even close. 

I think Winged Foot is the toughest. But Oakmont is playing exactly like it did in 1994 when it was soft. If you put it side by side, scores are almost identical to that year so far. I think any course is pretty scoreable if fairways are soft and greens are receptive.

I gaurantee if they didn't get the rain on Thursday that over par would be winning right now. We got a ton of rain here. They said this morning it's about 50% dried out so far.

Edited by ChrisP

They've moved up a lot of tees today. They did this last year at Chambers, too. If you're aggressive today and you're on with your driver, you can make some birdies.

Grillo just dropped a long putt on #1.  Part of what I love watching the U.S. Open (and any tournament with fast greens) is seeing a long putt not only go in, but take its sweet time to do so.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
1 hour ago, pumaAttack said:

Maybe it's the rain but oakmont doesn't look all that hard.  Hard, yes.  The hardest golf course in America?  Not even close. 

Second place is -3 and we've had almost no wind and got 3" rain. It's a tough track.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I feel like this is fox sports ( and the general sports press') reaction to the final pairing 

123681-850x565-mad2.jpg

I haven't been able to watch much. A lot of the coverage I've read make it seem like Lowry and Landry don't even exist. If one of them wins will fox just say Jason day won anyway? lol. 

5 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I feel like this is fox sports ( and the general sports press') reaction to the final pairing 

123681-850x565-mad2.jpg

I haven't been able to watch much. A lot of the coverage I've read make it seem like Lowry and Landry don't even exist. If one of them wins will fox just say Jason day won anyway? lol. 

Every network (and sport) is like that, though. I'm a Tampa Bay Lightning fan and knew the media wanted the Penguins. The TV execs only care about ratings and making money so it's their job to hype up the big names. For the regular golf fan like you and me, we don't care as much. It's nice to have the big boys up there because it makes it a little more exciting, but that's not the way it is all the time. It's still a pretty damn good tournament. Hopefully Lowry comes back a little bit so we have a thrilling finish. Nothing against Shane, but a lot of us want some drama.

Edited by ChrisP

Remember Phil, on Saturday of the 2008 U.S. Open, chipping to hole #13?

Bubba just did his best impression of it. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

8 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Every network (and sport) is like that, though. I'm a Tampa Bay Lightning fan and knew the media wanted the Penguins. The TV execs only care about ratings and making money so it's their job to hype up the big names. For the regular golf fan like you and me, we don't care as much. It's nice to have the big boys up there because it makes it a little more exciting, but that's not the way it is all the time. It's still a pretty damn good tournament. Hopefully Lowry comes back a little bit so we have a thrilling finish. Nothing against Shane, but a lot of us want some drama.

Yeah, I know. Youre right.  It's just frustrating sometimes. I haven't been able to watch much coverage and been trying to catch up via the news.  Instead of finding out how Lowry and the leaders got to where they are, I've been having to sift through 100 articles why mickleson and McIlroy didn't make the cut and how Day is making his "charge" even though he's 8 back. 

8 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Yeah, I know. Youre right.  It's just frustrating sometimes. I haven't been able to watch much coverage and been trying to catch up via the news.  Instead of finding out how Lowry and the leaders got to where they are, I've been having to sift through 100 articles why mickleson and McIlroy didn't make the cut and how Day is making his "charge" even though he's 8 back. 

Do you remember the tiger years? Tiger was the only player out there.Everyone else were just markers the way the commentators sounded.

Last 3 holes, no commercials. I'll believe it when I don't see the ads. No ads is no ads, no CEOs, no Fox tv promos, no selling nothing.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

The interviews with Holly still need work, maybe it's because she stands sideways to the camera in a very tight fitting dress while her guests face the camera head on.  It just seems staged to force you to look at her curves (which I don't mind) versus just having her sit at a desk and conduct an interview like they have Miller, Faldo and others do on other channels.  

Joe Paradiso

Great to see Lowry at the top of the leaderboard; he's got a fantastic short game and a great personality (he did a very fun vlog with Rick Shiels a while back). Would still be pulling for Westwood, Sergio or DJ ahead of him (just), but I'd be delighted were any of those four to win it.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

There's a Spieth tracker. At least this tracker's busy w/things to do. 

https://twitter.com/Spieth_Tracker

Workout them shoulders!

Final hole stands are full:

Landry <-> Leicester City

60%. Ouch. Probably more like 100%, they all get injured at one point or another.

Lowry sans the beard:

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I wonder if the positive reaction to Fox's broadcast is more because of the venue, because from my pov, announcing is about the same not counting the Zinger for Norman trade.

Concession stand prices

Butch Harmon on the greens:

For the Star Wars fans:

Steve

Good for Butch for calling it as he sees it.......too good of shot for that to happen

BTW......Did John Brown just screw up by saying you can take a drop from the ditch on the left side of the ninth fairway.....that is not a lateral hazard, is it?

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

3 minutes ago, BallStriker said:

BTW......Did John Brown just screw up by saying you can take a drop from the ditch on the left side of the ninth fairway.....that is not a lateral hazard, is it?

They are all hazards...the ones down the sides of fairways are lateral hazards.

- John

3 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

They are all hazards...the ones down the sides of fairways are lateral hazards.

Roger....thanks

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Wow, Kevin Na's approach hits the flagstick and settles right there.  Nice.

Jordan's four-putt on #6?  Not so nice. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

Note: This thread is 2838 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!