IGNORED

2016 Players Championship Discussion Thread

boogielicious
Note: This thread is 2900 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Some of the favorites have had up and down tournaments lately like Rory, Rickie, etc. Could we see a newcomer win this year at TPC Sawgrass?

Here's the field.

http://www.pgatour.com/competition/2016/the-players-championship/field.html

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, Dave2512 said:

Love this tournament but I will be golfing Sat and Sun so will miss most of it.

I'm going out of town this weekend; I'll only catch bits and spurts.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Never been a fan of Sawgrass but the strength of the field usually gets me to tune in for some of it at least.

It's a quirky (and IMO gimmicky) course that doesn't suit that many players well so it's usually a pretty wide open field. Wouldn't be surprised to see a relative no-namer win this week.

GC doing "Live from The Players"...except they are in studio. Budget cuts GC?

Anyway, great field this week. Gimme Justin Rose.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

My magic Yoda 8-ball says Dufner is going to win it all.

swmagic8ballyodafs.jpg

(This is also how I pick stocks.)

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

24 minutes ago, krupa said:

My magic Yoda 8-ball says Dufner is going to win it all.

swmagic8ballyodafs.jpg

(This is also how I pick stocks.)

"Rely on it, you may."

Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

19 hours ago, skydog said:

Never been a fan of Sawgrass but the strength of the field usually gets me to tune in for some of it at least.

It's a quirky (and IMO gimmicky) course that doesn't suit that many players well so it's usually a pretty wide open field. Wouldn't be surprised to see a relative no-namer win this week.

I too think it's a gimmicky at least some of the holes. But it is very entertaining to say the least. 

I enjoy watching the Players and will be watching this weekend. 

This tournament can produce an unlikely winner. 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

It's a good tournament but it registers with me similar to a WGC event because the best players are there, not lIke a major.  In fact, I like the WGCs better because there is no cut so you get to see a bit more of the top players.

Last year's was awesome, Rickie was motivated by that anonymous survey which labeled him overrated and he proved himself in a big way on Sun.  Hope for that kind of drama from our current big 4 this week.  (I don't include Bubba in that list even tho he's ranked higher than Rickie).

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

http://www.pgatour.com/power-rankings/2016/05/09/the-players.html/?cid=HP_T1

Any idea why they leave Day out of the top 5 in the power rankings?  He's #1 in the world and arguably the best short game player right now.  I do remember reading that some were concerned about his driving accuracy.  Is Sawgrass a particularly narrow course?

1 hour ago, sarena1594 said:

http://www.pgatour.com/power-rankings/2016/05/09/the-players.html/?cid=HP_T1

Any idea why they leave Day out of the top 5 in the power rankings?  He's #1 in the world and arguably the best short game player right now.  I do remember reading that some were concerned about his driving accuracy.  Is Sawgrass a particularly narrow course?

The fairways at Sawgrass aren't particularly narrow, but any drive that misses is going to find sand, water, or a very uneven lie. Hard to make birdies that way.

• Upvote 1

I think it's about time for Rory to put 4 rounds together. He's been in the hunt a lot lately. 

I'll be rooting for Day. 

To get things started off,

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

#6 was awesome.  I knew he had made a "hole-in-three" there, but I didn't realize it was a swish.  That has to be my favorite shot in golf...there's no suspense, no drama, no anticipation...just...CLUNK.

- John

8 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

#6 was awesome.  I knew he had made a "hole-in-three" there, but I didn't realize it was a swish.  That has to be my favorite shot in golf...there's no suspense, no drama, no anticipation...just...CLUNK.

I don't know how to find all-time statistics for the 17th hole, but Fred Couples has to be near the top of the list of scoring leaders.

10 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I'll be rooting for Day. 

To get things started off,

I don't get why putts are rated higher than holes-in-one? I could make those putts.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 2900 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!