IGNORED

Difference between uphill/downhill chip

Note:Β This thread is 2868 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

If you had the same distance chip for example 60 feet but one was uphill and the other downhill. Slope is gentle and not steep Β  Β Ball is off the green good lie . Which is easier to chip in ?Β 

Probably about the same.Β If I had to chip one IN for prize money, I'd take the downhill one, since it'd have a little less break overall.

Saying "easier" is a strange word choice. It's a 60-foot chip. You are talking about maybe aΒ 1% chance of making it either way.

- John

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

Probably about the same.Β If I had to chip one IN for prize money, I'd take the downhill one, since it'd have a little less break overall.

Saying "easier" is a strange word choice. It's a 60-foot chip. You are talking about maybe aΒ 1% chance of making it either way.

I thought it was the other way around with the DH having more break in it than the UH?

I take the DH chip because I would just rather play it nice and soft and let it roll towards the hole, for some reason I always feel like I'm forcing it up the hill on UH ones at it never turns out well.Β 

:adams:Β / :tmade:Β / :edel:Β / :aimpoint:Β / :ecco:Β / :bushnell:Β /Β :gamegolf:Β /Β 

Eyad

Maybe I'm confused. Β Is the lie uphill or downhill, or is it a level chip where the resulting roll is uphill or downhill?

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

I'd prefer the up hill chip. I would also use a different club for the two. I would want less roll on the up hill, and more on the down hill.Β 

Chipping is one of those parts of the game that Β what ever works for the individual is whats best for that individual.Β 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

21 minutes ago, Abu3baid said:

I thought it was the other way around with the DH having more break in it than the UH?

Yes, you're right.Β  My original statement was badly worded and incorrect.

I was thinking more in terms of being able to miss your line by a hair moreΒ onΒ a straight downhill chip versus a straight uphill one (I took the topic to assume a straight uphill/downhill chip, since it didn't mention sideslope).

Β 

17 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Maybe I'm confused. Β Is the lie uphill or downhill, or is it a level chip where the resulting roll is uphill or downhill?

I took it to be a level lie, with a sloped green...

- John

Since it was confirmed that it is harder to control the distance the putt travels on a downhill putt versus an uphill putt. I suspect that is the same for chips.Β 

Though I suspect if you are given a 30 ft downhill chip versus a 30 ft uphill chip the expected strokes difference isn't that large.

If you are considering something like a short sided 10 ft chip versus a 50 ft chip uphill across the green, take the 10 ft chip.Β 

Β 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

10 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Since it was confirmed that it is harder to control the distance the putt travels on a downhill putt versus an uphill putt. I suspect that is the same for chips.Β 

Agreed...and maybe it would change if you took into account how far your putt would be AFTER the chip...but the OP asked specifically about chipping it in.Β  I still think it'd be (very slightly) easier to chip in the downhiller, but maybe that's just me.

- John

14 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Though I suspect if you are given a 30 ft downhill chip versus a 30 ft uphill chip the expected strokes difference isn't that large.

If you are considering something like a short sided 10 ft chip versus a 50 ft chip uphill across the green, take the 10 ft chip.Β 

Β 

Just wondering what does this scenarioΒ have to do with the question in the OP? Β ;)

Β 

:adams:Β / :tmade:Β / :edel:Β / :aimpoint:Β / :ecco:Β / :bushnell:Β /Β :gamegolf:Β /Β 

Eyad

4 minutes ago, Abu3baid said:

Just wondering what does this scenarioΒ have to do with the question in the OP? Β ;)

Β 

Short sided chips are typically those that are downhill.Β 

Β 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

Uphill chip presents more options, IMO.Β  Uphill means added loft to whatever club you choose to hit the shot.Β  And just had a very similar shot last Thursday during my league round.Β  Fatted a tee-ball on a par 3 that stopped on the approach apron.Β  Uphill lie, about 60 feet to hole.Β  I chose a PW hit it half way to hole and it rolled out the rest of the way and ended up 4' left of the hole and a bit short of pin-high.Β  Of course, I missed the putt!

On the previous hole, the guy I was playing air-mailed a green, short-sided himself and had a downhill chip from the rough.Β  In general, most folks don't find themselves in that position very often and don't know how to setup to a downhill lie and execute a reasonable pitch or chip shot from the lie.Β  Sadly, he bladed it across the green and had to chip on again then two-putted for a double.

Uphill chip easier than downhill.Β  Every day for MOST players, I'd say.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

• Administrator
3 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Short sided chips are typically those that are downhill.Β 

Really? Sidehill is probably more likely. If you're short of a front pin, long of a deep pin, left of a left pin, or right of a right pin… two of the four are sidehill. But anyway…

I think the downhill one is easier to chip in. It's less likely to roll away from the hole and you can make a shorter, less aggressive chip to still get the ball to the hole.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

21 minutes ago, iacas said:

Really? Sidehill is probably more likely. If you're short of a front pin, long of a deep pin, left of a left pin, or right of a right pin… two of the four are sidehill. But anyway…

I think the downhill one is easier to chip in. It's less likely to roll away from the hole and you can make a shorter, less aggressive chip to still get the ball to the hole.

Mmm, never really thought about it but yes, I think the majority of times I've been short-sided it been because I was right or left of a tight pin. Β As greens typically slant back to front, although not always, I would have to agree.

I also agree that the downhill chip is easier to get in the hole because most of the time you'll get the ball to the hole. Β Given that I use a 60Β° almost exclusively, an uphill chip might (and often does) check up before the hole. Β The uphill chip I think is easier to get close but downhill to go in.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

It's tougher to leave a downhill chip short too, so that's another advantage.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3Β |Β 15ΒΊ 3-Wood: Ping G410 |Β 17ΒΊ 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 |Β 19ΒΊ 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo |Β 54ΒΊ SW, 60ΒΊ LW: Titleist Vokey SM8Β |Β Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

(edited)

I been finding chipping is much like putting. Downhill chips can be easy if one reads the green well Β The green can help the ball to the hole . Downhill slope canΒ Β workΒ with the ballΒ 

Uphill can be easy as well but the green works against the ball Β Taking that into account and not Β giving the hole away by taking away the break Β I Β preferΒ to bump and run uphill ones and chipping downhill onesΒ 

Edited by dchoye

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)
On May 22, 2016 at 4:34 PM, dave s said:

Uphill chip presents more options, IMO.Β  Uphill means added loft to whatever club you choose to hit the shot.Β  And just had a very similar shot last Thursday during my league round.Β  Fatted a tee-ball on a par 3 that stopped on the approach apron.Β  Uphill lie, about 60 feet to hole.Β  I chose a PW hit it half way to hole and it rolled out the rest of the way and ended up 4' left of the hole and a bit short of pin-high.Β  Of course, I missed the putt!

On the previous hole, the guy I was playing air-mailed a green, short-sided himself and had a downhill chip from the rough.Β  In general, most folks don't find themselves in that position very often and don't know how to setup to a downhill lie and execute a reasonable pitch or chip shot from the lie.Β  Sadly, he bladed it across the green and had to chip on again then two-putted for a double.

Uphill chip easier than downhill.Β  Every day for MOST players, I'd say.

dave

I find the downhill chips give me more options.Β 

Once I got the line just start the ball along that line. More options I mean can use hybrid 4 iron putter and even used a belly wedge recentlyΒ 

or even ground the leading edge of the wedge and chip and roll itΒ 

With uphill ones I find I have to use the wedge exclusively and either bump and run using topline as a guide or flop to the holeΒ 

Edited by dchoye

I had a couple of down hill chips earlier today, that I used my putter instead. Just enough to get the ball rolling towards the hole.Β 

I missed them both, but they were tap ins. One for a par.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I recall a chip in during the Newport Cup being slightly downhill with a huge break to the hole.

It probably would not be very likely it would have been made from the other side of the green going up the slope.

Uphill or downhill, both require skill and luck to make.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Note:Β This thread is 2868 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!