IGNORED

What do you HATE the most about golf?

stolpioni
Note: This thread is 2877 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 5/27/2016 at 4:50 PM, Dresilved said:

When you've been on your best run of form ever, when you're constantly hitting around your lowest score on a consistent basis for 6-7 games, then one day out of the blue she gives you a nightmare card - A score above what you'd expect your worst score to be. And you haven't a clue whats going on, thats just happened to me this morning - Good thread topic, I didn't have to think about my answer lol 

Yes. When your playing really bad, and even after the game you can't figure out why. Fortunately, it normally comes back

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

17 minutes ago, PhraseUniverse said:

When I have to wait ten minutes before every single swing. Hard to find a rhythm when it's that slow. .

It had been a while since I had been reminded of this. Yesterday, I was in a slow foursome behind an even-slower foursome. My guys took forever, but we still were waiting on the group in front of us. Five-flipping hour round. Shot a 45 on the front and then 52 on the back after the driver went sideways. Just too much time in the hot sun. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Expenses

Arrogant players

Lack of popularity in public courses

In the bag:
Driver: R9 Supertri
3W: R9
3i-PW: Mizuno Mp-68
Wedges: Taylormade Racs
Putter: PING Redwood blade

You go running, cycling, play tennis, pickup basketball, etc..., you put on your shoes, grab your equipment, 1-10 minutes, boom, you're doing it/playing. Great thing about running/cycling is from bed to pavement, bam, you're out there - although that can be a shock on cold days.

With golf, you gotta back your bag, get there, pay, starter, hit some putts, OMG, are we there yet? Every... single... time... It's a production to get to the first tee. FWP. I'd like bamf like Nightcrawler from my sofa to the first tee. That would be nice.

Also, the mythical platitudes, the bad info, the degree of authority with which people speak inversely proportional to their actual knowledge.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

20 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

You go running, cycling, play tennis, pickup basketball, etc..., you put on your shoes, grab your equipment, 1-10 minutes, boom, you're doing it/playing. Great thing about running/cycling is from bed to pavement, bam, you're out there - although that can be a shock on cold days.

With golf, you gotta back your bag, get there, pay, starter, hit some putts, OMG, are we there yet? Every... single... time... It's a production to get to the first tee. FWP. I'd like bamf like Nightcrawler from my sofa to the first tee. That would be nice.

Also, the mythical platitudes, the bad info, the degree of authority with which people speak inversely proportional to their actual knowledge.

My bag rarely ever leaves the trunk of my car (aside from cleaning day).  Outside of having to travel to the golf course I can simply walk out the door and go.  A warm up isn't necessary in any sport, but it helps.  That applies to tennis, cycling, basketball, golf etc.  There isn't a thing stopping you from skipping the practice green.  You may play a few rusty holes, but you can get going pretty quickly if you really want to.

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

13 minutes ago, baller7345 said:

My bag rarely ever leaves the trunk of my car (aside from cleaning day).  Outside of having to travel to the golf course I can simply walk out the door and go.  A warm up isn't necessary in any sport, but it helps.  That applies to tennis, cycling, basketball, golf etc.  There isn't a thing stopping you from skipping the practice green.  You may play a few rusty holes, but you can get going pretty quickly if you really want to.

The course I play most often, if you reserve, you have to show up an hour before your reservation or it's gone. I hate it. What tennis court, basketball court, swimming pool, etc... requires you to do this? Stupid course.

Golf is a major time suck in many aspects compared to other sports.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Not that I "hate" this but I'm on the course right now sitting down on the tee box because the people in front of me think they are going to hit the green from over 200 out when their drives weren't even 200...

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

4 hours ago, nevets88 said:

The course I play most often, if you reserve, you have to show up an hour before your reservation or it's gone. I hate it. What tennis court, basketball court, swimming pool, etc... requires you to do this? Stupid course.

Weird, I can pretty much show up whenever I want at my local course, even when busy.  The longest I've had to wait for a tee box to open up was probably 20 minutes and that was before I became a member.

• Upvote 1

Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD

2 hours ago, baller7345 said:

Weird, I can pretty much show up whenever I want at my local course, even when busy.  The longest I've had to wait for a tee box to open up was probably 20 minutes and that was before I became a member.

Not if you're in a big city, totally different scenario.

Steve

16 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Not if you're in a big city, totally different scenario.

In that case you've shown me the only upside to living in the middle of nowhere.  I may not have a great internet connection, there may be very little in entertainment options, but I can golf whenever I want with little to no wait.

Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD

On 5/27/2016 at 6:56 PM, Fourputt said:

I had a one hour fitting for free for spending $200 at Golfsmith.  I spent more like 75 minutes with the fitter, and ordered my new irons made 1" long and 1 degree upright.  Id never had anything but stock clubs before in my life, and the difference is quite noticeable.

My irons are also fitted 1" long. How tall are you Fourputt? I'm 6'2".

55 minutes ago, CCC said:

My irons are also fitted 1" long. How tall are you Fourputt? I'm 6'2".

6'1½"

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

On 5/31/2016 at 4:38 PM, nevets88 said:

That's kind of crazy. This course must get a lot of play.

Since I've been playing for close to 50 years, I know how much time a round of golf takes, and just mentally prepare myself for it.

However, I do hate slow play. Just yesterday a friend and I had played 18, stopped to have a libation, and decided to play 9 more. They had to send us out the back, since the front had a league coming that featured a shotgun start. OK, fine.

When we arrived at the 10th tee and were preparing to tee off, the foursome in front were hitting their second shots on the par 5. We thought, fine. When we hit the 11th tee everything changed. The group in front of us seemed to have dropped anchor in the middle of the fairway. 11 goes out, and 12 comes back with it's green just down the hill from 11 tee.

After waiting a while, we jumped to 13 tee, played 13,14,15,16, and 17, cut back across and played 11 & 12, then cut back across again, played 18 and we were done! Then we went and had a fantastic dinner at a local restaurant.

This can work when you know the course layout well enough, but not when there's a group on every hole. If the courses in your area are crowded, thank God! That probably means they will remain open. We've had far too many courses close the past few years!

What annoys me the most is playing with people who are always hunting for balls in the brush and are not ready to hit when it is their turn.  One day, I was waiting for a playing companion to hit his ball.  He had addressed his ball and then turned his head to the woods.  I knew exactly what he was going through his mind.  He wanted to go and search for golf balls, and he did.

Note: This thread is 2877 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!