IGNORED

Vice Golf Balls - Anyone Tried them?

On 1/15/2020 at 2:06 PM, Germain00 said:

I tried the Vice Pro during the last summer. I was very satisfied with this ball. My approach shots and putting was improved. Try them, you will like them.

I also played the Pros this past year, with decent success. I played the neon red ones, but I found that the paint or whatever they had on them was quick to wear and chip, which made me switch to the Snell MTB Black this year. I have only played 1 round with 1 Snell ball, but it seemed to be much more durable (for 3 dollars more per dozen when buying the 5 pack). Performance wise they were comparable to each other as well as comparable to ProV1s.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 7 months later...

56 minutes ago, Rick Stover said:

What is the opinion on Vice balls. They claim to be equal to the ProV1, but and curious if anyone plays them.

My opinion is that I'll never try them. There are too many options out there, and I'm not going to waste my time and money on the one that markets themselves as a "lifestyle" brand.  They might very well be just as good performing as any other ball, but I'm suspicious of any brand in any industry that promotes themselves for any other reason than their purpose.  I don't care if "the cool kids play them" (probably the most cringe-worthy ad I've ever seen), I just care if they perform.

Edited by bweiss711

37 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

@billchao, are you still gaming Vice balls?

No, I switched to Snell years ago.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Just now, RFKFREAK said:

What made you switch?

Don’t remember exactly. They were a partner with us for a few years, that probably had a lot to do with it.

I do miss playing flamingo pink golf balls sometimes.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

53 minutes ago, billchao said:

Don’t remember exactly. They were a partner with us for a few years, that probably had a lot to do with it.

I do miss playing flamingo pink golf balls sometimes.

Ok - I was thinking of potentially getting some and wanted to see if ppl still thought they were a good ball and comparable to the ProV's.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

47 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

Ok - I was thinking of potentially getting some and wanted to see if ppl still thought they were a good ball and comparable to the ProV's.

I like Snell. If you’re thinking of getting Vice, I’d go with Snell.

Bill

My Swing Thread

6 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

I played 5 dozen pros last year, and they were ok, but I got red, and even the lightest scuff peeled the paint off the cover. I've heard that they improved the cover this year, though, so might give it another go.

5 hours ago, billchao said:

I like Snell. If you’re thinking of getting Vice, I’d go with Snell.

This is what I switched to. For a couple of extra bucks, they have the premium cover and durability that I like. Now if I could just stop losing them, everything would be fine. Lucky I didn't blow through the dozen I brought to Whispering Woods last month, lol.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    

• 3 weeks later...

I use Vice on and off.  I originally got them because I thought they were a higher end ball with great colors.   At the time, no ball I would game made a pink, red or even decent lime.  I echo what other people think.   I think they are below ProVs and Snell, also the TP5s.  Vice feels harder off a putter than any of those, and the greens I play are fast.   I want a soft feel for fast greens.   But I’d say I play one a decent amount of the time.   Best red color I’ve found.   Generally a ball is 8-12 holes so if the paint gets knicked it’s not a big problem as long as it’s not cut.   They are fairly durable.   Fading paint is what it looks like to me. 

—Adam

On 9/21/2020 at 8:03 AM, imsys0042 said:

Vice feels harder off a putter than any of those, and the greens I play are fast.   I want a soft feel for fast greens.   But I’d say I play one a decent amount of the time.   Best red color I’ve found.   Generally a ball is 8-12 holes so if the paint gets knicked it’s not a big problem as long as it’s not cut.   They are fairly durable.   Fading paint is what it looks like to me. 

I never had the putter issues described here. The more I look back on last year with Vice, the less credit I think I gave them. The paint knicks really aren't a problem, considering how often I lose a ball, and they performed quite well. The red really was a draw for me when I bought them, and after I run out of my current Snell run, I may go back. Hopefully that isn't for a while 😉

I got some of the tours just as a cheap ball to try out and use for scramble events and some morning golf.  They fly really nice, but the greens better be soft because they are a rock.  I'll probably stock up on the Snell MTB(whatever they are) for next season.

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

9 hours ago, colin007 said:

I play the Pro Plus in lime green. It's every bit the ball that a Snell or Pro V is. $25 a dozen.

I wonder how those compare to the refurbished ProV's  I've been buying at Target for $23/dozen.

Christian

12 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

I wonder how those compare to the refurbished ProV's  I've been buying at Target for $23/dozen.

Hmm....I'm really not sure. I remember when I used to be able to get brand new ProV x-outs for $19.99 which was a steal, but with those you knew they were brand new and were identical to the $48 ones. don't have that much experience with refurbished balls, but I do know that the cover seem to come off pretty quickly on them. The VICE balls that I am using are very durable. 

Colin P.

On 9/27/2020 at 8:43 AM, colin007 said:

Hmm....I'm really not sure. I remember when I used to be able to get brand new ProV x-outs for $19.99 which was a steal, but with those you knew they were brand new and were identical to the $48 ones. don't have that much experience with refurbished balls, but I do know that the cover seem to come off pretty quickly on them. The VICE balls that I am using are very durable. 

Do you any extra that I can buy from you?

Christian