IGNORED

Golf labelled as microaggression at UNC

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2824 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The guidelines have since been removed, sounds like in an attempt to make things better, things got too PC.

Sounds like a noble venture, right? Until discovering "golf" is labeled as a microaggression because it presumes "employees have the financial resources/exposure to a fairly expensive and inaccessible sport."

At the risk of offending someone -- meaning someone will likely get offended -- let me state golf's part in this equation is utterly ridiculous. Asking a co-worker to hit the links is a sign of endearment and respect, that you want to spend time with them or enjoy their presence. And golf isn't just a game for the privileged, as we showed in our "How to Play Golf Cheap" examination.

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/university-of-north-carolina-faculty-warned-againstplaying-golf-with-coworkers?mbid=social_twitter

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Rofl.... Micro-aggression? Sweet jebus man.. That's got to be one of the most silly things I've ever heard.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Micro-aggression? There's plenty of passive-aggression that goes on in the University offices. Trust me. I worked in one. 

I seriously doubt that Faculty would invite a staff member to play golf anyway. There's too much of a division between the two groups. Faculty playing golf with other faculty? Happens all the time. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Un-frickn-believable.  This is what liberalism has wrought.  It was once comical, just a bunch of nutjobs.  Not so much any longer.  Wake up people.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

1 hour ago, Gunther said:

Un-frickn-believable.  This is what liberalism has wrought.  It was once comical, just a bunch of nutjobs.  Not so much any longer.  Wake up people.

:doh::doh::doh::doh:

• Upvote 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

2 hours ago, Gunther said:

No. Not liberalism, It's what stupidity has wrought. 

• Upvote 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

The whole idea of microaggression is a classic first-world problem.

Suffering microaggression is right up there with burning your lip on your double decaf latte!

One benefit of college supposedly is learning to communicate who you are to others. Among mainstream groups, seeing if a newcomer fits a stereotype is a quick path to socialization. Our University marketing director grew up in Wyoming, so I asked her if she grew up barrel-racing in rodeos. She smiled and said no, but her family did do horseback riding when growing up. 

Sounds like the UNC aggrieved posters don't know anything about modern golf. The old left-wing assumption that golf is expensive and inaccessible simply doesn't hold in the 21st century.

I teach at a University, and we probably have more mid-level staffers than faculty that play golf. When I play in our annual athletic department benefit scramble, I get paired with staffers about half the time.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

The world has become so politically correct and overly sensitive that we're going to just all stop talking to each other out of fear of offending someone.  If golf is a micro-aggression I'd guess inviting someone over for a bbq would be too because they might not have as nice a house or yard as you do and that would make them feel bad.  

Golf is a fun recreational sport that demonstrates someone wants to spend time to get to know another person better, it's a guys form of let's go shopping.  If someone reads more into it than that they really need to see a shrink.  

I just don't have the time or energy to make sure every word that comes out of my mouth is 100% politically correct.

Joe Paradiso

Not sure which faculty members UNC is worried about in this context, but I'm guessing it isn't the junior faculty...

When I was a grad student at UNC the only course we could afford to play was Occoneechee, which is about halfway between Hillsborough and Durham (nice course though). Anyone from UNC who can afford to play golf in Chapel Hill is more likely to be a UNC administrator than teaching faculty.

42 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

40 year olds that go out in public dressed like rickie fowler complete with white pants and belts should be considered micro aggressions. 

Only to other 40 year old fat guys who can't pull off the look.  I don't have the body for the Fowler look but don't really care what others wear on the course as long as it's appropriate golf attire.  

Joe Paradiso

1 hour ago, Groucho Valentine said:

40 year olds that go out in public dressed like rickie fowler complete with white pants and belts should be considered micro aggressions. 

1 hour ago, newtogolf said:

Only to other 40 year old fat guys who can't pull off the look.  I don't have the body for the Fowler look but don't really care what others wear on the course as long as it's appropriate golf attire.  

not rickie.jpeg

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

3 hours ago, ScouseJohnny said:

Not sure which faculty members UNC is worried about in this context, but I'm guessing it isn't the junior faculty...

When I was a grad student at UNC the only course we could afford to play was Occoneechee, which is about halfway between Hillsborough and Durham (nice course though). Anyone from UNC who can afford to play golf in Chapel Hill is more likely to be a UNC administrator than teaching faculty.

Don't students get a good rate at Finley?

Note: This thread is 2824 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!