IGNORED

Accidentally hitting into people...

Slice of Life
Note: This thread is 2290 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

10 minutes ago, Das_onionknight said:

I have to agree you did the right thing, if this had happened to me I would have given you a great shot more so if you came with an apology. 

But last Sunday I was playing a round and a person nailed me with a ball from 100 yards away and offered me a hey did you see my ball. I am assuming proper etiquette is not to punch him in the face but man I really wanted to. Even after I told him he hit hit me his answer was to accuse me of lying. 

So what should I have done?

If I get hit by a ball from only a 100yds out, rolling or not. There is going to be a confrontation and nothing good will come out of it for sure. I can be a gentleman at 250yds but a 100yds, not a chance.

3 minutes ago, Natural Patrick said:

If I get hit by a ball from only a 100yds out, rolling or not. There is going to be a confrontation and nothing good will come out of it for sure. I can be a gentleman at 250yds but a 100yds, not a chance.

No this was a straight shot to the top of my head. I did say some mean things but I felt pretty justified. 

3 hours ago, Slice of Life said:

Glad to see I'm not alone. I didn't think I was being an a-hole...

I've never come close to hitting into anyone on the fly. Like I said, both of these were rolling up to them when they got there...not zipping or even bouncing.

The longer lower trajectory clubs typically have larger carry errors and probably need a wider margin.

The thought being what if you really caught one with a low trajectory it might be in the other group on the first or second bounce.

3 hours ago, jamo said:

I don't know why or how anyone could have a problem with a golf ball rolling towards them. You were in the right, as far as I can tell.

It does depend how it got there. If it landed within 20 yards of your group and settled by the time it got to you that's more of a 'risky play' than if it rolled 40 yards. It's the notion of how much of a safety margin did the person allow for that may or may not get someone legitimately steamed.

A long roll-up followed by his effort to apologize exonerates the OP, IMO.

-----

I think an ~ 55 yard expected carry is a reasonable margin. To me it's kind of like shooting at a green when the group has moved on and is on the next tee. That's quite often within 50 yards of the intended target.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

I scoped the people on the green and I was 280 out so I thought it was safe to hit my 3 wood. I ended up hitting 287, about 22 more yards than expected. It rolled up onto the green and was stopped from rolling off the back by the flag stick laying on the ground. The guy I hit into was a not so nice guy but was cool in this case.

If I have done it any other time I didn't know it.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I always apologize when I do it.  Just happened last weekend... Group was hidden in some trees about 270 off the tee.  I couldn't see them and pushed my 3 wood into the trees.  Guy came out waving his arms and screaming.  So I drove up to the green and apologized and they were good.   There are times I would love to hit into some groups!  Late afternoon rounds... When I'm a single and I just watched the 4 some in front of me get on the green on their 6th shots... Then waiting 10 minutes for them to line up... Plumb bob... Line up... Plumb bob once more... For 3 putts a piece! 

4 hours ago, GolfLug said:

I don't get it. I don't care what your best expected distance is - Why risk an unusual bounce or a career shot show up at the wrong time? Some people also see it as a pointed message to 'hurry up'.

That's the thing, it's not even best expected distance. In both of the instances I mentioned, I hit the ball with the said club much further than I've ever hit it, or ever expected to hit it.

If I'm teeing off, and someone is 300 yards away...I'll wait. Am I going to hit it 300 yards? Not likely...but I've done it before so I won't risk it.

In the 1st case, my thought was they're 300+ yards away...I'm laying up anyway. It rolled at least 50 yards, because if I pure a 3 wood off the deck, it isn't carrying more than 250. (Furthest logged Game Golf shot with my 3 wood is 252 yards)

In the 2nd case, I duffed my tee shot on a shorter par 4, and was about 240 yards away. Decided to lay up with a soft 5 iron instead of going at it with a 3 wood. My normal "easy" 5 iron is about 185. If I smash it, it's 205. So this one rolled about 45-50 yards as well. (Longest logged non-tee Game Golf shot with my 5-iron is 198 yards)

So both of the shots aren't just "Great shots" but more like extreme outliers and likely got some sort of weird kick on dry ground and rolled way up. 

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

11 hours ago, Slice of Life said:

Ever had it happen? I've had it happen twice...both on freak shots. First time was a couple years ago on a par 5...I was 300+ yards out and went to lay up with my 3 wood and ended up on the green. Immediately drove up and apologized to the guys...they were cool, we shook hands and all was well. 

2nd time was last night...went to lay up with a 5 iron and it got enough bounce and roll to hit the green. Again, immediately drove up to apologize and the guy was outraged walking towards me club in hand. I explained that I was laying up and the ball kicked and rolled all the way up there...dude was still wide eyed and pissy while his playing partner was calming him down. Both times I expected the ball to be a good 40 yards short...even if I hit a really good shot

I mean, I can understand being upset if it hits up by you on the fly...but are you really outraged if a ball rolls 40 yards and ends up 25 ft away from you? Are you in danger? Maybe I should just wait until people leave, but I don't want to be the guy who says "Nah I'll wait" when they're 300 yards away and then hits it 150 yards :whistle:

What's the etiquette here? Am I wrong? Should I just wait until it's clear if there's a 1 in 10,000 chance that the ball may get a miracle kick and roll up by them? 

You followed etiquette perfectly! Don't worry about it! The guy who was all "pissy" sounds like one of those people who can't be happy unless they have something to bitch about or somebody to bitch at!

There's an old saying in golf. "There's nothing that will screw up an approach more than thinking you can reach a par 5 in two, and waiting for the green to clear!"

I'm squarely in the "just wait" camp, but understand that accidents do happen, and your two shots, @Slice of Life, do sound like accidents. My buddy has a nice 220 3W that he's pretty consistent with and I often joke with him when the group ahead of us is on the green at 300+ and he asks, "I won't hit it that far, will I?," that if he were to actually hit into them, that I'd go apologize for him because it would be a miraculous, one-in-a-million shot.

To be honest, though, this is one of my pet-peeves. I don't even like lay-up shots landing close to the green I'm on (< 25 yards). They're easy to hear and with my game, an un-needed distraction. It just feels like poor etiquette.

As for really close, like I could walk 10 yards and pick it up, or hitting the green as I walk off or reach my cart, I'd be hard pressed to allow for "accidental" as I see little reason beyond the miraculous for a ball from the group behind me to ever get this close, other than carelessness or they're just jerks.

If you're in the group behind me, then my back is to you for most of the round. I believe it is my responsibility to keep up with the pace of play and to stay in view and not "hide" in the woods or behind obstacles, but it's your responsibility to ensure you don't hit into me, period. As everyone says, know your damn distances. If there's even the glimmer of a chance because of the wind, or hard ground, or whatever, please wait.

If (you think) I'm playing slow, call a ranger or ask me if you can play through (in the unlikely event I haven't offered if you're on my heels). I'd have absolutely no problem with either.

Edited by roamin

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

I've mentioned that I hate it when people hit into me, but neither of your examples qualify. If somebody smokes a 3 wood and the ball rolls onto the green while I'm putting, I'm not going to be upset. Nobody ever got hurt from a ball rolling into their foot. 

I've driven a green unexpectedly a couple times, and still apologized, but nobody cared. That guy that was mad can eat shit.

"Witty golf quote."

18 hours ago, Slice of Life said:

Ever had it happen? I've had it happen twice...both on freak shots. First time was a couple years ago on a par 5...I was 300+ yards out and went to lay up with my 3 wood and ended up on the green. Immediately drove up and apologized to the guys...they were cool, we shook hands and all was well. 

2nd time was last night...went to lay up with a 5 iron and it got enough bounce and roll to hit the green. Again, immediately drove up to apologize and the guy was outraged walking towards me club in hand. I explained that I was laying up and the ball kicked and rolled all the way up there...dude was still wide eyed and pissy while his playing partner was calming him down. Both times I expected the ball to be a good 40 yards short...even if I hit a really good shot

I mean, I can understand being upset if it hits up by you on the fly...but are you really outraged if a ball rolls 40 yards and ends up 25 ft away from you? Are you in danger? Maybe I should just wait until people leave, but I don't want to be the guy who says "Nah I'll wait" when they're 300 yards away and then hits it 150 yards :whistle:

What's the etiquette here? Am I wrong? Should I just wait until it's clear if there's a 1 in 10,000 chance that the ball may get a miracle kick and roll up by them? 

You should have hit him in the face with your putter :-D

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

I'll always rather wait a little bit longer, especially in tournaments. Not only to avoid hitting people, but I think that it is a big distraction if you hear the ball plop 30 yards behind yourself. Imagine you are concentrating, just starting your backswing and suddenly *plong*.

Surely you just wait? Hitting into the vicinity of people isn't cool. When you're chipping from around the green or putting and you hear a shot from the fairway coming your way everyone angrily stops until either all that group has finished hitting or you know that they've seen you and no-one else is hitting in.  

I've never hit into another group. My rule of thumb is if they can hear my ball thump I might mess up their putt. I guess that's because I've been in groups that have been hit into or nearly hit into and it always slows down the play by the group on or around the green.

Unofficial Rule-----1) On a par 4, never hit your second when their on the green. 2) Par 5's - if you think you can reach or on the off chance that you hit "THE" shot, wait. - You will most likely screw it up because, in the back of your mind, there will be that hint of doubt/speculation as to should I hit. Besides, nothing is gained by unintentionally pushing the group in front.

Many moons ago, played with a friend that was an overly well built specimen (6'5"-260 solid muscle). Third hole, group behind launched one over our heads, late "four call" and we waved OK. 5th hole, again one came whistling by, this time no "fore call". We just turned and looked back. 8th hole, as they say third time is a charm, another came bouncing at us and hit the cart. This time the big guy grabbed his 5 iron and proceeded to send that ball into the water hazard. Well apparently this pissed the guys behind and they came racing down the fairway, but when they got close enough to see the size of this guy, they made an abrupt 180 and that was the last we ever saw of them. Granted, these guys had no golf etiquette what so ever and apparently, thought it was great fun to play chicken with a golf ball, We just had to remember the old saying,......."you can't fix stupid"   

• Upvote 1

Hate crowned cups.

I don't buy the "accidentally" thing at all.  I think people routinely hit into the group ahead to show off or because they simply don't mind being a dick.  If someone hits into people they didn't see then they're being careless and that's not an acceptable excuse either.

Anyway, I think people know exactly what they're doing every time they claim to "accidentally" hit into a group.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Strandly said:

I don't buy the "accidentally" thing at all.  I think people routinely hit into the group ahead to show off or because they simply don't mind being a dick.  If someone hits into people they didn't see then they're being careless and that's not an acceptable excuse either.

Anyway, I think people know exactly what they're doing every time they claim to "accidentally" hit into a group.

You know, I kind of agree with this. These are the kind of people that have that fake ass stupid look on their face like they are surprised that the ball went that far because the "never hit that far normally." I have even had one person try to get me to agree with them that even though they almost hit our group it was okay because I had to agree it was a good shot.

(edited)
3 hours ago, Strandly said:

You can "buy" or "not buy" whatever you want. I would never and have never hit when I thought I would be hitting into or even near someone. So you can reserve the dick comment for yourself, as your incorrect assumptions aren't necessary here. 

Thousands of rounds of golf...has happened twice. I'm sure it's because I routinely hit into people to show off or be a dick...c'mon now.

Edited by Slice of Life
  • Upvote 2
Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

4 hours ago, Strandly said:

3 hours ago, Das_onionknight said:

You know, I kind of agree with this. These are the kind of people that have that fake ass stupid look on their face like they are surprised that the ball went that far because the "never hit that far normally." I have even had one person try to get me to agree with them that even though they almost hit our group it was okay because I had to agree it was a good shot.

These have to be two of the most ridiculous comments I've ever seen. You two seriously think everyone who ever hit into another group did it on purpose? You think Ryan actually had any inkling that he would hit a 3 wood off the deck 300 yards or a 5 iron 250? Distances that even most pros don't attain? You both need to get a grip, perhaps you've had a lot of bad experiences with being hit into, but it is not even close to being true that every time it happens it's on purpose.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Note: This thread is 2290 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!