IGNORED

Jim Furyk Shoots 58 (Par 70)

Gunther
Note: This thread is 2798 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not my favorite but damn.  Par on 18 for 58, amazing.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He's got a very consistent swing. He's practically guaranteed two 59's in competition, which puts him in the history books.

And he's in 2-putt range for his 58. Birdie for 57 looks unlikely at 27 feet. And it slides by about 2ft.

And he drops it for 58!

He's practically skipping his way to the scoring office.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

Hell of a round. But how is shooting 12 under on a par 70 a greater feat than shooting 59 on a par 72? Best of all time? I wouldn't go that far. 

• Upvote 1

Steve

Congrats to Furyk. That's incredible.

So in the last year now we've seen two guys break -20 in a major for the first time ever and now the first ever 58. Technology is definitely boosting scoring. Not sure that's a concern or not, but that's a debate for another day. Unbelievable record today.

2 minutes ago, MrFlipper said:

Hell of a round. But how is shooting 12 under on a par 70 a greater feat than shooting 59 on a par 72? Best of all time? I wouldn't go that far. 

Only 2 par-5's on this course make it a bit harder to go under par for pros.

Kevin

58, going -1 on the last 6 holes - WOW

Edited by Wally Fairway
inadvertently hit enter before I finished my post

Players play, tough players win!

Gotta luv the old guys with screwy swings.  There's hope for me yet!

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

6 minutes ago, natureboy said:

Only 2 par-5's on this course make it a bit harder to go under par for pros.

Yes, but we're comparing gross scores not scores relative to par.  58 may be easier to shoot on a par 70 than 59 on a par 72.  Could be around the same though if the two missing par fives would have had a 4.5 scoring average and the par 4s they were replaced with have 4.0 scoring averages.

Sometimes U.S. Opens with par 70s are actually par 72 courses and they just take two short par fives and call them par fours.  I don't think that's the case at River Highlands though.  It's a legitimate par 70.  What kind of courses were other 59s shot at?  Mostly par 70s I assume.

24 minutes ago, MrFlipper said:

Certainly a matter of debate, but par can be largely irrelevant.  Trying to look up a little history and it seems the last 59 to occur on a par 72 course was David Duval at PGA West Palmer back in 1999.  That course is 6950 yards long today, compared to TPCRH, which is listed at 6841.  Not a very big difference.

• Upvote 1

That may be best round ever because looking at the highlights he couldve shot 56,57 if couple of them putts fall.Not a furyk fan but he plays the game the way its supposed to be played.Fairways and greens and make putts.

15 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Certainly a matter of debate, but par can be largely irrelevant.  Trying to look up a little history and it seems the last 59 to occur on a par 72 course was David Duval at PGA West Palmer back in 1999.  That course is 6950 yards long today, compared to TPCRH, which is listed at 6841.  Not a very big difference.

Other than the technological gains for clubs and balls since then, and that Duval eagled the last hole to win the tournament while Furyk has no chance to win, not much difference :-)

Even though it was lift, clean and cheat, that Geiberger did it with the equipment of the time is pretty amazing too.

Steve

Stephan Jaeger must be thinking, hey, what about me, don't forget about me! :-)

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

7 minutes ago, Natural Patrick said:

Any chance that scorecard get's framed ? Lol

I think the better question is: any chance it doesn't?

Not many players can say "I shot a 59 once, but it wasn't my lowest score". Now all he has to do is win the the tournament. 

As for par, it's just a number. The guy shot a 58 for 18 holes. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 2798 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!