IGNORED

How to relax before your swing

Note: This thread is 2817 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm one of those guys who never played when I was young so I don't have the same repeatable swing built in me. I have played enough that if I can get out of my own head I can play really well. My problem is and I feel like it is starting to happen more now is all of a sudden I take a relaxed backswing but something inside my head clicks and makes me want to kill the ball and you know how that goes. I feel like I need some 'tricks' or something to clear my head like a breathing drill or even maybe something to help with me to not move my head. I've tried staring at the backside of the ball, staring at the ground behind the ball and even closing my eyes just for the heck of it. 

Anyone have any swing thoughts they use or something that has worked to keep that relaxed tempo through the swing?

Edited by Iwanttobreak100

I do two things to relax a little bit before almost every swing.  The first is a mental trick that works for me, I always remind myself that "this" shot is just a regular swing, nothing special.  I want to avoid the ideas like "I really need to smash this one", or even "This is a really important shot".  I want every effort to be the same, same preparation, same importance, same normal swing.  

The second thing I do is to relax my grip just slightly.  You can find a thread here

that discusses what the proper grip pressure is.  I absolutely believe the data, and I'm not saying you should grip the club lightly.  For me, at least, I believe my grip gets firmer as the swing progresses.  My hands sense the strain required as I accelerate the club, and my hands grip firmer as a nearly involuntary reaction to that sensation.  However, I want to start the swing without excess tension in my hands and arms, and relaxing my grip for a just a second can eliminate some of that unwanted tension.  Other players may use a waggle to decrease muscular tension prior to a swing, there are almost certainly dozens of methods.  I like that slight relaxation of the hands, after the last waggle, and before I swing.

• Upvote 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In general - this gets better as your mechanics do - lots of practice will make you better.  Being better will make you more relaxed. 

That being said, during a round there are some things you can try - like trying not to think mechanical thoughts, of course.  But also - if you're really struggling to make contact a trick that I used to use is to line up with my club about a full clubhead outside the ball.  Being in this odd position and knowing I have to get the club back inline with the ball would sometimes help occupy the shanking regions of my brain. 

1 minute ago, Rainmaker said:

....... sometimes help occupy the shanking regions of my brain. 

Hey, no  need to talk about the effing s_____ing regions!!

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

I was in the exact same situation when I started last year, i.e., swinging too fast ,etc. For beginners like us the temptation is to swing with our arms - very bad. 

What fixed this for me was to focus on keeping my trunk connected to my upper arms and think "swing plane". One good drill is to swing with a headcover under your left armpit, you can look this up on YouTube. It forces you to turn your upper body as a unit and not rely on your arms.

There is no spoon!

There is no difference between your practice swing and real swing.
As previously noted, once you get the idea that "this shot counts" or you have to "crush" it. You are no longer relaxed!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

I would suggest listening to some music while you play. :-D Just kidding.

In all seriousness, there are certain songs that I play in my head when I feel tense, etc. Smooth from Carlos Santana Featuring Rob Thomas is one that seems to work. I played with a guy a few weeks ago kept repeating to himself, "Let the good times roll." In that case, it was a positive and uplifting phrase. Controlled breathing is another good tactic.

- Shane

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

The first is a mental trick that works for me, I always remind myself that "this" shot is just a regular swing, nothing special. 

I second this, as it's quickly becoming the only swing thought I try to play with.  Whether facing a demanding tee shot or a 2-foot putt, reminding yourself that you've been there before (and will be again) can do wonders for calming your nerves.

Found that many of my poor rounds were (in part) due to worrying about what my friends thought/looking stupid/inflating handicap, etc.  I've always been a firm believer that success breeds confidence, and have finally learned that success only needs to be defined/justified to oneself.  If you're able to draw on your own past successes, @DaveP043's advice becomes easier to implement.  With time and practice, the swings really do begin to just feel "regular."     

- Bill

I have two recurrent images.  In one; my hands are a skater in a half-pipe.  In the other;  I have to turn my hips forward at the same speed I turned my shoulders back.  The former requires that I keep my arms and wrists relaxed; the latter that I refrain from attacking the golf ball.  Swoop and stall - Coil and turn.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

So I've been watching some lessons on the golf channel...   I've noticed something pros do what they are just hitting a nice easy shot while warning up.  Sometimes after addressing the ball, they will pick the club up and go forward over the top of the ball before they begin their backwards motion.  Martin Hall (old guy teaching pro) is notorious for this.  

At first I though this was very strange is and the extra movement would mess every thing up.   But, after trying it on the range, I have found that this is a good way to trigger all of your moving parts to move together, and also reminds your wrists to stay loose through the swing.   

I am not suggesting to do this while you are on the course, but if you do this a bit on the range, it trains you to keep loose wrists.   And, loose wrists tend to trigger a nice, loose, easy swing, and nice and loose keeps your from getting tense during your shot..   

just a thought.   Next time you see him on Golf channel, keep an eye on this.   then, try it out...  

Edited by lastings
  • Upvote 1

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

16 hours ago, Piz said:

I have two recurrent images.  In one; my hands are a skater in a half-pipe.  In the other;  I have to turn my hips forward at the same speed I turned my shoulders back.  The former requires that I keep my arms and wrists relaxed; the latter that I refrain from attacking the golf ball.  Swoop and stall - Coil and turn.

I've seen Adam Scott talk about this as well, make sure you turn back at the same pace as when you were turning your shoulders on the back swing. 

Thanks everyone for the input, hopefully something clicks for me out there!

I don't tend to think much about my golf swing when in between shots. I'm looking around, taking in the scenery, and maybe having conversation with whom ever I am golfing with. This relaxes me before I go into swinging the club mode. 

I have preshot routine I use which is the start of my swing. It's the same 99% of the time. 

Once I actually start my golf swing, I have a little 2 word saying that I took from the movie "Tin Cup". It's "dollar" on my back swing, and "bills" on my down swing.  "Dollar Bills" By saying those two words, in an easy, no hurry fashion, helps to keep my swing tempo/timing where I need it. 

Of course there are sometimes other words I might use after my swing is over, when a poor ball flight shows up, but that's another story......:-P

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

15 hours ago, lastings said:

At first I though this was very strange is and the extra movement would mess every thing up.   But, after trying it on the range, I have found that this is a good way to trigger all of your moving parts to move together, and also reminds your wrists to stay loose through the swing.   

I am not suggesting to do this while you are on the course, but if you do this a bit on the range, it trains you to keep loose wrists.   And, loose wrists tend to trigger a nice, loose, easy swing, and nice and loose keeps your from getting tense during your shot..   

This "loose wrists" sensation sounds like another way to describe the elimination of excess muscular tension in my hands and arms, which I try to do with that momentary relaxation of my grip just before I swing.  It takes muscular effort and a reasonably firm grip to hit a ball properly, but excess tension, or tension in the wrong muscles at the wrong times, can be a problem.

Dave

A suggestion that was given to me recently was to line up to the ball, and give it a two count before I swing. That extra 2 seconds before I pull the trigger relaxes me a bit, and gets me focused on what I need to do to hit the shot. It especially helped calm my nerves a bit. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

4 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

A suggestion that was given to me recently was to line up to the ball, and give it a two count before I swing. That extra 2 seconds before I pull the trigger relaxes me a bit, and gets me focused on what I need to do to hit the shot. It especially helped calm my nerves a bit. 

That makes sense for a quick player like you, and a two count seems like just long enough.  I've seen lots of players stay dead still over the ball for what seems like 30 seconds (even though its probably on 10 or 12) before they swing.  I can't imagine that long a delay doing anything except introducing tension, rather than minimizing it.  

Dave

5 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

That makes sense for a quick player like you, and a two count seems like just long enough.  I've seen lots of players stay dead still over the ball for what seems like 30 seconds (even though its probably on 10 or 12) before they swing.  I can't imagine that long a delay doing anything except introducing tension, rather than minimizing it.  

Yes, a lot of my mistakes come from going too fast. Not taking a practice swing and whatnot. Like you said, I've played with some guys and it feels like time has stopped before they hit their shot. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

I've been watching this video from Greg Grexa and a few other of these tempo videos. The whole be smooth at the top and go fast at the end sure does seem easier to say than to actually do but I'm hoping maybe this will help. What do you all think about it?

23 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

I would suggest listening to some music while you play. :-D Just kidding.

I've done this on occasion.  When I have been the only person on the course and golfing solo, I've worn headphones.   Also, I occasionally do at the range.  

It's kinda nice. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Note: This thread is 2817 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!