IGNORED

Single-Plane Swing

Note: This thread is 2240 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So about a month ago I stumbled across this thing called a single-plane swing, and thought it was pretty interesting. I looked into it, but only a little. I found that pga pro Bryson Dechambeau uses that swing, and learned the basics from a few videos where he explains it.

I found it very interesting and still do. I have also given consideration on changing my swing to that, but figured that I would need to find a golf coach to teach that to me (I dont have one nowner because I am a casual player). Does anybody have input on the idea? Or have anything else I should know about the subject? 

A good guy to look up, if you haven't already, is Jim Hardy.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The originator of Bryson's so called one or single plane swing is Moe Norman. He has TONS of videos you can watch online of how he swung. His name is now being used by Todd Graves and maybe a few others but they run under the name of Natural Golf. There is other stuff like Square to Square all variants to the same idea.

• Upvote 2

Michael

Anyone who uses Moe Norman's swing, and palm grip needs to pay attention to the lie angle of their clubs. They need to be more upright than what might be considered normal. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

On Moe Norman, just food for thought, but consider that perhaps he was so good because he probably hit more golf balls than any other human on earth, and was painstakingly diligent with how he practiced, and not necessarily because he had a unique swing.

Andrew M.

I watched a few videos on moe, and found the same things that @amolinedid. He hit a lot of balls, and found that his ways are the best, which applies to every golfer. The single-plane swing is an interesting subject in my opinion and wanted to learn more about it. 

• Administrator
21 hours ago, Piz said:

A good guy to look up, if you haven't already, is Jim Hardy.  

That's not the same thing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I love Moe Norman . .I've probably watched every video there is of him rambling and hitting balls . . but this is revealing . .

Personally - I think the famous "Moe Norman" swing is something he moved to in older age and worked for him because he hit so many balls and was so narrow of focus . . but it's not something to emulate.  imo. 

Single plane swing with a single length club has both pro's and con's.  Of course you find it easier to hit any club (3 or 9 iron are the same except for club loft) because every shot is the same but the problem is there is a compromise with every club.  The longer irons don't go as far because you have a shorter shaft meaning it is harder to generate club head speed.  The shorter irons are not as accurate because the shaft is too long.  Overall, it depends on what you want out of your swing and game though.  The advantage is grooving a swing is very easy and no iron is difficult to hit on any given day because all clubs are the same, except for loft.  Either you are hitting all clubs well or all clubs badly.

It is a swing worth emulating if you are struggling some clubs regularly.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

There is more than one definition of "single plane swing."  Jim Hardy includes Ben Hogan in his.  It is certainly worth knowing that different people mean different things when using the same terminology.

• Thumbs Up 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Piz said:

There is more than one definition of "single plane swing."  Jim Hardy includes Ben Hogan in his.  It is certainly worth knowing that different people mean different things when using the same terminology.

That is true, but clearly…

On August 17, 2016 at 1:01 AM, 17hoffmanc said:

So about a month ago I stumbled across this thing called a single-plane swing, and thought it was pretty interesting. I looked into it, but only a little. I found that pga pro Bryson Dechambeau uses that swing, and learned the basics from a few videos where he explains it.

The OP is clearly talking about this definition of the one-plane swing. The Bryson Dechambeau version. Not the Hardy version.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 year later...

Bryson Decambeau is PGA player that have single plane swing today.

my single plane swing:

Edited by efdeel74

Journey of My Moe Norman's Inspired Golf Swing. Yes I know, it is going to be ROUGH journey.

Driver : MacGregor Mactec NVG.............(2005 model, cheapest forgiving driver that I can bought)

3 Wood : Ena Golf...................................(?year? cheap one but I like the impact)

7 Wood : XXIO.........................................(2005 model, from my dad)

5 Rescue : Tourstage ViQ........................(2008 model)

Irons : XXIO MP200.................................(2003 model, from my dad)

Wedge : Cleveland Becu 56 deg.............(cheapest old wedge that I can bought)

My self taught Swing Theard : My Swing (efdeel74)

• Administrator
2 hours ago, virtuoso said:

Over-simplification of a motion actually makes it more complicated.

Additionally, Moe Norman's swing when he tried to play on the PGA Tour was pretty normal. Normal grip, stance, takeaway… etc. Still had a little of that lower body motion, but it looked more "traditional."

Have anyone really tried both? single plane and dual plane.

Journey of My Moe Norman's Inspired Golf Swing. Yes I know, it is going to be ROUGH journey.

Driver : MacGregor Mactec NVG.............(2005 model, cheapest forgiving driver that I can bought)

3 Wood : Ena Golf...................................(?year? cheap one but I like the impact)

Wedge : Cleveland Becu 56 deg.............(cheapest old wedge that I can bought)

1 hour ago, efdeel74 said:

Have anyone really tried both? single plane and dual plane.

I tried it years ago, before I knew anything about different planes of the swing. Swing planes were not a big deal back then.

Actually what I was doing was trying Norman's swing. I also copied his palm grip, and wider stance. . 

The first thing I found was that the lie angle of the club face was too upright for my clubs. I was fitted for them with traditional numbers. That mismatch right there caused me to give up trying Norman's swing. I suspect that a lot of failures by folks trying Norman's single plane swing, are because of lie angle, and grip issues. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

3 hours ago, Patch said:

I tried it years ago, before I knew anything about different planes of the swing. Swing planes were not a big deal back then.

Actually what I was doing was trying Norman's swing. I also copied his palm grip, and wider stance. . 

The first thing I found was that the lie angle of the club face was too upright for my clubs. I was fitted for them with traditional numbers. That mismatch right there caused me to give up trying Norman's swing. I suspect that a lot of failures by folks trying Norman's single plane swing, are because of lie angle, and grip issues. 

nice to hear from someone that tried it.

ihmo, why a lot of failures on single plane swing is because we must learn all by ourself (like myself :) )

Did you get pro/trainer for dual plane swing?

anyone here have single plane swing....AND have good score/ low handicap?

he/she must have a great experience on their golf journey.

Note: This thread is 2240 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!