IGNORED

Golf club thief picked the wrong mark - gets held at gunpoint

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2770 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was wondering the other day, what set Mr. Acree off on this particular guy?  Did he specifically see and identify his stolen clubs?  Did this guy look kind of like the thief in the surveillance footage?  Did he simply assume that anyone selling used clubs from his trunk in the parking lot must have been the thief?  I think we all agree that the right guy got caught, but was this based on real knowledge, or was it just a lucky guess?

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I was wondering the other day, what set Mr. Acree off on this particular guy?  Did he specifically see and identify his stolen clubs?  Did this guy look kind of like the thief in the surveillance footage?  Did he simply assume that anyone selling used clubs from his trunk in the parking lot must have been the thief?  I think we all agree that the right guy got caught, but was this based on real knowledge, or was it just a lucky guess?

That's my problem with the situation.  He wasn't 100% sure that this guy was the culprit.  He could've had some random dude at gun point, threatening to kill him.  If that had been the situation, this guy would be screwed, peace officer or not.  I think he had some idea as to how the guy looked but he mainly recognized his bag and clubs.  But even with that recognition, it still wasn't a sure thing.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

13 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

It seems to me there had to be something that triggered him targeting this particular person.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

19 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Based on how the stories read, Acree got a description on the thief and the thief's vehicle from people at the course. On a chance he happened to go to a particular golf store to see if the store had bought the stolen clubs and he just happened to run into the criminal there.

Obviously it was a hell of a coincidence. Whatever you think of his actions after that, it put Acree in a very unusual situation.

23 minutes ago, phillyk said:

That's my problem with the situation.  He wasn't 100% sure that this guy was the culprit.  He could've had some random dude at gun point, threatening to kill him.  If that had been the situation, this guy would be screwed, peace officer or not.  I think he had some idea as to how the guy looked but he mainly recognized his bag and clubs.  But even with that recognition, it still wasn't a sure thing.

20 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Based on how the stories read, Acree got a description on the thief and the thief's vehicle from people at the course. On a chance he happened to go to a particular golf store to see if the store had bought the stolen clubs and he just happened to run into the criminal there.

Makes me wonder if the guy will actually get convicted.  Unless the guy had his trunk open and Acree could positively identify stolen property (did I hear that the bag was monogrammed?), a description of a person and car doesn't seem to me to be grounds to search that car, or to make a "citizen's arrest."   Even if he DID identify his property, he couldn't know if this guy was the thief, or some random innocent who'd bought the stuff from the thief.  I know, it turns out he was the scumbag, but at the instant the gun was drawn, nobody know that for sure.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

Makes me wonder if the guy will actually get convicted.  Unless the guy had his trunk open and Acree could positively identify stolen property (did I hear that the bag was monogrammed?), a description of a person and car doesn't seem to me to be grounds to search that car, or to make a "citizen's arrest."   Even if he DID identify his property, he couldn't know if this guy was the thief, or some random innocent who'd bought the stuff from the thief.  I know, it turns out he was the scumbag, but at the instant the gun was drawn, nobody know that for sure.

I believe he was trying to sell them at the Golf Galaxy parking lot where all this happened?

There are a couple of things that golfers take very seriously and the top item on that list is their clubs. As one man found out earlier this week, you better not try to steal clubs from a former officer and then attempt to sell them in a Golf Galaxy parking lot. 

http://golf.swingbyswing.com/article/man-holds-up-golf-club-thief-at-gunpoint/

So, I suppose, it's "reasonable" that this retired officer went "nuts".

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

4 minutes ago, Lihu said:

I believe he was trying to sell them at the Golf Galaxy parking lot where all this happened?

http://golf.swingbyswing.com/article/man-holds-up-golf-club-thief-at-gunpoint/

So, I suppose, it's "reasonable" that this retired officer went "nuts".

Again, its quite possible that Mr. Acree didn't actually KNOW that this was the guy who stole his clubs, or that the clubs for sale in the parking lot were even his clubs.  Based on everything I've read, it seems entirely possible that Mr. Acree jumped to a conclusion without any actual knowledge.  He may have simply pulled his gun on the first guy he found selling clubs, and was just lucky that he had the right guy.

Dave

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Again, its quite possible that Mr. Acree didn't actually KNOW that this was the guy who stole his clubs, or that the clubs for sale in the parking lot were even his clubs.  Based on everything I've read, it seems entirely possible that Mr. Acree jumped to a conclusion without any actual knowledge.  He may have simply pulled his gun on the first guy he found selling clubs, and was just lucky that he had the right guy.

Not too sure either, but it's not that common for someone to purchase the clubs from someone else then sell it again in some parking lot within a day or so. Most honest people sell it on eBay or Craigs list or something like that.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Just now, Lihu said:

Not too sure either, but it's not that common for someone to purchase the clubs from someone else then sell it again in some parking lot within a day or so. Most honest people sell it on eBay or Craigs list or something like that.

If you're going to arrest someone at gunpoint, even a "citizen's arrest", its probably a good idea to have more than "not that common" as evidence.

Dave

6 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

If you're going to arrest someone at gunpoint, even a "citizen's arrest", its probably a good idea to have more than "not that common" as evidence.

I've met someone at a Golfsmith lot to buy golf balls from Craigslist. Not that uncommon to meet at a place that golfers know. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

None of us knows what happened. He might have walked right up to the car and recognized his clubs before reacting the way he did.

If I have any issues with concealed carry, it's that mistakes will be made. If Acree did anything against the law, he should have his licensed revoked. While I feel bad he was a victim and can't blame him for doing something about it (as long as he was 100% sure), the laws have to be enforced when a gun is pulled, IMO.

Jon

3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

The "I'll kill you threats", were a bit out of place as well. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

4 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

You have no idea what his evidence was Dave.  All these hypotheticals are ridiculous.

What if it were the wrong guy?

What if the trigger slipped?

What if the perp had his own gun?

What if a cop was walking by and shot both of them (wtf?)

What if Seal Team Six were training in the area?

None of that happened, if it did, it would be an entirely different story.  The good guy won, the bad guy lost.  Notwithstanding a little adrenaline rush from the good guy, all went according to plan as it overwhelmingly does when a CCW-licensed individual is confronted with a situation like that, that's why you don't hear about them.

The only hypothetical I haven't heard posed that I'm interested in is what if the dirtbag thief hadn't decided to steal someone's golf clubs that day?

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

1 hour ago, Gunther said:

You have no idea what his evidence was Dave.  All these hypotheticals are ridiculous.

None of that happened, if it did, it would be an entirely different story.  The good guy won, the bad guy lost.  Notwithstanding a little adrenaline rush from the good guy, all went according to plan as it overwhelmingly does when a CCW-licensed individual is confronted with a situation like that, that's why you don't hear about them.

The only hypothetical I haven't heard posed that I'm interested in is what if the dirtbag thief hadn't decided to steal someone's golf clubs that day?

It's hard to say what happened, but OTOH it's pretty obvious when a person is trying to sell your clubs in a Golf Galaxy parking lot. He apparently looked at then and recognized them. Then he went back to get his gun and confront the seller (who was a criminal anyway for selling stolen goods). I remember reading in one of those articles that Mr. Acree's cell phone was still in the bag as well. Can't seem to find that link, now.

Mr. Acree will likely be free of any kind of action from the perpetrator. He might get his wrist slapped for saying "I'll kill you" and kicking the perpetrator in the head. Unfortunately, Montgomery will likely go free as well. Hopefully, he learned not to steal clubs or anything else any more. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I'm not sure if he saw him or his clubs first, because at 2:13 he starts to describe in detail W(no longer)ITB.  At one point he takes one hand off the gun, and as a true golfer, rattles off lofts and putter shaft length while pointing at them.  That might have been the most dangerous time since he was obviously distracted from holding the suspect at gunpoint.

John

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Gunther said:

The good guy isn't a very good guy.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

11 hours ago, Gunther said:

None of that happened, if it did, it would be an entirely different story.  The good guy won, the bad guy lost.

I agree, I have no idea what Acree knew or saw, I don't know whether he actually had seen his clubs, or whether he was just guessing.  I haven't read anyone who knows any of this, but I've read a few guesses and assumptions, including:

9 hours ago, Lihu said:

It's hard to say what happened, but OTOH it's pretty obvious when a person is trying to sell your clubs in a Golf Galaxy parking lot. He apparently looked at then and recognized them. Then he went back to get his gun and confront the seller (who was a criminal anyway for selling stolen goods).

Is that particular hypothetical just as ridiculous?  I have yet to read anything that supports that particular guess.

A view that I disagree with is that since nobody actually got hurt, and the actual thief was caught, that its all good now.   No matter how reckless Acree was, no matter how many people were endangered, its a happy ending for everyone except the thief.  Well, I had 8 beers last night, and drove 20 miles home from the golf course, but I got home safe so its all good now.  :beer:

• Upvote 2

Dave

41 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I agree, I have no idea what Acree knew or saw, I don't know whether he actually had seen his clubs, or whether he was just guessing.  I haven't read anyone who knows any of this, but I've read a few guesses and assumptions, including:

Is that particular hypothetical just as ridiculous?  I have yet to read anything that supports that particular guess. :beer:

Of course it isn't because that assumption is supported by the outcome.  Yours and the others I cited were most definitely not.  

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Note: This thread is 2770 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!