IGNORED

Why do Hillary and Obama want more refugees?

StefanUrkel
Note: This thread is 2774 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a guess, but I think at this point, all the campaigning being done now is for electoral votes. How refugees figure into that,  might be a voting block that controls some electoral votes. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If there is a strong vetting process I don't oppose accepting refugees but I don't just want to let in 100,000 refugees that could contain 10,000 potential terrorists or radicals.  

As a country, we're very lucky, beyond the Civil War and Pearl Harbor we've never had war or military actions in our country.  Imagine if you lived in Syria or other countries where the refugees come from and you and your family were under constant threat to be shot, blown up, etc.  

The United States has always been a safe haven and I'd have no issue taking refugee families but it seems the majority of refugees are single 18-30 year old men and imo they should be fighting to save their country, not running.  

Joe Paradiso

13 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

If there is a strong vetting process I don't oppose accepting refugees but I don't just want to let in 100,000 refugees that could contain 10,000 potential terrorists or radicals.  

As a country, we're very lucky, beyond the Civil War and Pearl Harbor we've never had war or military actions in our country.  Imagine if you lived in Syria or other countries where the refugees come from and you and your family were under constant threat to be shot, blown up, etc.  

The United States has always been a safe haven and I'd have no issue taking refugee families but it seems the majority of refugees are single 18-30 year old men and imo they should be fighting to save their country, not running.  

9/11 as well.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

36 minutes ago, 14ledo81 said:

9/11 as well.

9/11 was tragic and a lot of people lost their life, but I don't consider terrorist activity the same as a war being fought in your country, but if you like it can be added to the list.  

Joe Paradiso

25 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

9/11 was tragic and a lot of people lost their life, but I don't consider terrorist activity the same as a war being fought in your country, but if you like it can be added to the list.  

It wasn't. It was murder. 

The New Colossus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,

With conquering limbs astride from land to land;

Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand

A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame

Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name

Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand

Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command

The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she

With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

-Emma Lazarus

Because it is who we are. E Pluribus Unum. One from many.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

21 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Excellent! Can't agree with this more.

On the flip side I will say that there is a fast growing part of the populous, and I am absolutely not judging, that is getting tired of our magnanimity, whether it is because they feel that it is not being reciprocated or that the beneficiaries are ungrateful and are 'hurting' us. IMHO, I am not sure it would be fair to simply judge them small minded. This is a tough one - a no win for anybody on either side of the issue.

Vishal S.

10 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

On the flip side I will say that there is a fast growing part of the populous, and I am absolutely not judging, that is getting tired of our magnanimity, whether it is because they feel that it is not being reciprocated or that the beneficiaries are ungrateful and are 'hurting' us. IMHO, I am not sure it would be fair to simply judge them small minded. This is a tough one - a no win for anybody on either side of the issue.

Allowing refugees to enter the country is a different issue from allowing them in to take advantage of our good nature and hospitality.  

We can help them settle in and provide them with some assistance, but after six months or a year at most, no more public assistance for five years.  If they can't support themselves, they get sent back home or to another country they choose.  

Joe Paradiso

12 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

For me, I don't trust our government to properly discern immigrants from terrorists. 

http://wdtn.com/2016/09/19/more-than-800-immigrants-mistakenly-granted-citizenship/?cid=twitter_WDTN

Oopsie. 

- Shane

3 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Allowing refugees to enter the country is a different issue from allowing them in to take advantage of our good nature and hospitality.  

We can help them settle in and provide them with some assistance, but after six months or a year at most, no more public assistance for five years.  If they can't support themselves, they get sent back home or to another country they choose.  

How so? Isn't 1st part a result of the 2nd? That is the tenant @boogielicious quoted I think.

9 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

For me, I don't trust our government to properly discern immigrants. 

http://wdtn.com/2016/09/19/more-than-800-immigrants-mistakenly-granted-citizenship/?cid=twitter_WDTN

Oopsie. 

Well, IMO mistakes should be addressed directly (incompetence) at first and until it becomes a routine 'oopsie' shouldn't dictate policy.

Vishal S.

Just now, GolfLug said:

How so? Isn't 1st part a result of the 2nd? That is the tenant @boogielicious quoted I think.

Well, IMO mistakes should be addressed directly (incompetence) at first and until it becomes a routine 'oopsie' shouldn't dictate policy.

Our government is so bloated, it doesn't know which end is up, and there is no accountability. JMHO.

- Shane

8 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Our government is so bloated, it doesn't know which end is up, and there is no accountability. JMHO.

Yes, but that is a broad stroke (one I agree with) for umpteen number of issues. Can't really be eliminated until we 'fire the government' (I wouldn't support it as it is more than a support structure - it is also the largest public employer) - which would be a separate thread of it's own..:-)

Vishal S.

16 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

@boogielicious

Given the fact that there are currently 1,000 separate terrorist investigations on-going in the US, I'd go out on a limb and say this oopsie has become pretty routine.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Responding to the original post, I would say that HRC and BO don't explicitly want to take in refugees for any other reason than there is a humanitarian crisis and people are fleeing Syria.  Dropping the politics I think we would accept them if we had a Republican president as well.   We should be taking in more.   I agree with all the posters who believe in both a strong vetting process and that helping others is a core American value.  We are ultimately all immigrants here.

—Adam

10 hours ago, StefanUrkel said:

Everything politicians do is for votes.

Not everything.  These people (many of them, perhaps not all of them) also actually have some values and beliefs.

2 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Accepting the worlds downtrodden is supposed to be an american tenant

Agree. ;)

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Perfect.

26 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

That is the tenant @boogielicious quoted I think.

:beer: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=tenet

Note: This thread is 2774 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!