IGNORED

Presidential Candidates Debate

Hacker James
Note: This thread is 2721 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 hours ago, iacas said:

That's a good example of the kind of hyperbole that does nothing but show existing biases.

I didn't watch the debate, but I'm certain I could many, many sentences he said that "make sense." You might not agree with them, but you'd be able to parse them, and they'd "make sense" even if you thought what they were saying was impractical, or wrong, or whatever…

Ditto the other "never" things you said.

Don't use the words "never" or "always." It usually makes you look dumb.

It's a bad argument.

There wasn't much Trump said that made sense last night. At all..

Just a bunch of unfocused, incoherent arguments and ad hominems. 

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Those that are claiming a victory for Trump are doing so based on the fact this was his first real Presidential debate and Hillary's 8th and the fact that he held his own (but didn't win) was in itself a victory.  It's like telling a minor league baseball team that lost 9-1 to a major league team that they won because they didn't get shut out. 

Obama lost his first debate to Kerry much worse than Trump lost last night.

Just a correction. This is Clinton's first Presidential debate too. All her other debates were primary debates the same as Trump.

Second, President Obama debated McCain and Romney, not Kerry.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Just a correction. This is Clinton's first Presidential debate too. All her other debates were primary debates the same as Trump.

Second, President Obama debated McCain and Romney, not Kerry.

You're right, had Kerry on my mind from a previous conversation.  Thanks.  

Joe Paradiso

President Obama tanked that first debate with Romney because he didn't want to go on the offensive and attack with sound bite jabs that people remember and went w/paragraphs of policy. In the next debate, he learned quickly. DT attacked from the get go. I don't see what more he can do, like digging deeper into HRC's email servers.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

30 minutes ago, jkelley9 said:

I watched an hour and 10 mins of the debate. Not sure how much longer it lasted past that.

All I can say is, as a 28-year old chemical engineer, married (wife works full time as a teacher), wanting to have kids soon... I'm scared to death. 4 years ago I was 24 and getting into my first big boy job, 4 years before that I literally went 9 months of my life without having 3 digits in my bank account longer than a WEEK while paying my way through Georgia Tech and living in the slums of Atlanta @ $276 per month. We've worked our butts off and are trying to move forward.

My wife and I are making very good money. But we're also working our butts off. We paid an EFFECTIVE TAX RATE of nearly 26% last year. I'm tired of the rich loopholes not paying federal tax. I don't even know how they do that, but it's mind boggling. I drive a 15-year old dodge truck. My wife drives a 14-year old honda. Both together don't add up to $10,000. We're frugal in a lot of respects. We don't over-reach. We don't want to rely on anyone in retirement (which yes, at 28 years old we think about at least in terms of preparation). But all that... and we are still financially SCARED.

I would not be complaining about even 30% tax rate if I knew everyone at an income level above me was paying that. Bring on a progressive tax, I don't care so long as 1. it's managed well, gets in the right hands and 2. it's truly progressive (not like what Trump has been able to do).

But again, I'm scared to death. I'm sure Trump is a great business man. Trump makes a great point when he says it costs 4x as much to build a road than it should. That's one thing in the back of mind that I do agree I think we need, but NOT at his level and motivation/history. But good Lord Almighty if he isn't going to do everything in his power and all of his energy into accomplishing his "trickle down economics" as he possibly can to pad the top 1% FIRST and FOREMOST. 

But my point is, I'm scared to death. This election I already feel has failed. We allowed a misogynistic, arrogant, unfiltered, politically inexperienced, cut-throat business man make it to the front runner for a major party. This blows my mind. He rode the 15-20% of the radicals' choice through each debate and made it all the way to the end. Such a broken system. Now my wife and I are sitting at home watching these ridiculous debates worried to death about our future and what we've worked for. 

For the first time this November when they announce who has won... I'll be disappointed either way.

Relax..!

I am in a similar boat (+13-14 years :-)). I feel your fears somewhat.  No matter who turns out to be president, how good or bad they might be, things will fundamentally remain the same. Overall it is too mature, too inertially heavy a system to get completely knocked off the rails. IMHO it is 90% immune from knob-dickin' by ANY POTUS. Not necessarily good or bad, just what I think of it.

Keep saving and keep preparing no matter what.    

Vishal S.

7 minutes ago, Elmer said:

I agree Trump won the first few minutes but spent the rest of the match in the corner blocking jabs.
 In my opinion I dont think DT want to question HRC on anything to do with the foundation. This would put DT right back on the defense as it opens questions about his charitable donations, which brings it back to taxes.

It was a boxing match where the both fighters landed good punches for the first few rounds, before the more skilled fighter measured up his opponent and sent him to the ropes. Trump was even handling the taxes issue fairly well before Clinton started twisting the knife on him; once she started goading him on it, he couldn't resist his penchant toward puffery that gets him in the most trouble.

15 minutes ago, Elmer said:

I also dont think he will release his tax returns by the next debate. I think this is for a few reasons:
 it may show that he is not as "successful" as he has indicated!
It opens questions about business practices (i.e bankruptcy)
Questions about charitable donations
and puts DT under the scrutiny of others (something he despises)

I don't think he will, either, but that's probably a mistake. Enough people already assume those things to be true; unless it would really reveal all of those things and more, his people can spin it as not being as bad as people think. I just don't think that Trump is capable of willingly inviting the criticism that comes with the gesture.

30 minutes ago, Elmer said:

I would not be surprised if he bails on the next 2 debates. Because his strength is speaking to a crowd and inciting them. Not debating points where he can get flustered and not stay on point.
I think DT has more to loose in the debate format.

I'm not expecting him to show up for the town hall debate in a couple of weeks. The easy excuse will be objecting to Anderson Cooper as moderator, given his avid hobby of bashing CNN despite his former campaign manager shilling for him on a daily basis there, but he absolutely cannot go into that type of debate setting and interrupt Hillary the way he did last night.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

• Administrator
52 minutes ago, jkelley9 said:

I'm tired of the rich loopholes not paying federal tax. I don't even know how they do that, but it's mind boggling.

That doesn't happen. Not like you're heavily implying. The wealthy pay a lot of taxes.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't get the notion of someone winning a political debate. Trump folks are naturally going to think he won because he said things that fall in line with their beliefs. This is why they support him in the first place. The same goes for Hillary supporters. I suppose a winner could be determined by measuring who had the largest number of people who were undecided come into their camp or changed their minds. This whole thing comes down to votes end the end. So far, it seems that most people are voting against DT or HC, not really for them. 

- Shane

All of this is moot. Do you not realize that the outcome of the election has been predetermined, even prior to the primaries? The Illuminati think tank and descendants of the Templar Knights have already met in Albany New York, cast their ballots, and it will be revealed in November. This is akin to the gambling industry. All the slot machines, although using Random Number Generators, use games the result of which has been determined the moment you push a button, the wheels have spun (digitally or otherwise), and the result determined before displayed on the screen. Even those bonus rounds where you get to "choose" some hidden icons to reveal the prize. Regardless of which you "choose", the results would have been the same.  It is strictly entertainment with one or two exceptions which I will not divulge. The Electoral College (now there is a misnomer for you) have received their mandate or more likely instruction.   or as Orson Wells said: after all This is Halloween.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

80 million viewers is a lot but well short of the 100 anticipated, the last Super Bowl got about 115.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/27/media/debate-ratings-record-viewership/index.html

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

4 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

I don't get the notion of someone winning a political debate. Trump folks are naturally going to think he won because he said things that fall in line with their beliefs. This is why they support him in the first place. The same goes for Hillary supporters. I suppose a winner could be determined by measuring who had the largest number of people who were undecided come into their camp or changed their minds. This whole thing comes down to votes end the end. So far, it seems that most people are voting against DT or HC, not really for them. 

You can be biased towards a candidate but evaluate the the debate with minimal bias.  I won't ever, ever, ever vote for Hillary Clinton (unless it's to move to Syria) but I felt she won the debate last night.  

Joe Paradiso

39 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

You can be biased towards a candidate but evaluate the the debate with minimal bias.  I won't ever, ever, ever vote for Hillary Clinton (unless it's to move to Syria) but I felt she won the debate last night.  

What do you consider "winning"?

- Shane

1 hour ago, CarlSpackler said:

What do you consider "winning"?

Hillary better maintained her composure, she hit her key points, she kept Trump on the defensive and forced Trump to look flustered and unprepared.  

Joe Paradiso

14 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

The only successful thing either candidate did is Clinton baiting Trump into losing his cool. That had to be her game plan all along going into it, and she managed to pull it off. Even though I'm not sold on Clinton as i was Obama over Romney or McCain, I'm not having any part in putting a brattish buffoon like Donald Trump in the white house.

Oh, Hillary lost her cool plenty of times. You could tell because it was every time she smiled when Trump was going at her. Either that, or she'd just drop her eyes and stare at her lectern. I find Trump's responses to criticism more honest. He gets pissed!

I'm sure Hillary did too, but she managed to avoid that horrible, screeching, harpy voice that she can attain when she really gets ramped up! I'm sure she's been warned about that.

I'm still not sure that either is "fit" to be President, but I suppose I'd prefer someone "brattish" who will put it in the faces of foreign leaders, vs a "go along to get along" woman who stuck with a philandering pig of a husband simply because it might further her political career.

12 hours ago, Hacker James said:

All of this is moot. Do you not realize that the outcome of the election has been predetermined, even prior to the primaries? The Illuminati think tank and descendants of the Templar Knights have already met in Albany New York, cast their ballots, and it will be revealed in November. This is akin to the gambling industry. All the slot machines, although using Random Number Generators, use games the result of which has been determined the moment you push a button, the wheels have spun (digitally or otherwise), and the result determined before displayed on the screen. Even those bonus rounds where you get to "choose" some hidden icons to reveal the prize. Regardless of which you "choose", the results would have been the same.  It is strictly entertainment with one or two exceptions which I will not divulge. The Electoral College (now there is a misnomer for you) have received their mandate or more likely instruction.   or as Orson Wells said: after all This is Halloween.

Nobody meets in Albany. Just ask @colin007!

4 hours ago, StefanUrkel said:

Lol. You are a complete bafo0n if a debate sways your vote.   And no, there is no such thing as winning a debate.   I would guarantee that 9 out of 10 people get Gary Johnson when they take this test (Isidewith.com )  

In true debate competitions there is a declared winner. The Presidential debates are not really held to those standards.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

6 hours ago, StefanUrkel said:

Lol. You are a complete bafo0n if a debate sways your vote.   And no, there is no such thing as winning a debate.   I would guarantee that 9 out of 10 people get Gary Johnson when they take this test (Isidewith.com )  

I've seen where Johnson stands on several of the main issues and he doesn't align with how I feel. Of course, neither of these two are anywhere close either so there is that. I don't tend to agree with many politicians anyway.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

6 hours ago, StefanUrkel said:

I guess I'm one of the 1/10 then.  Weirdly enough according to that test I side more with Trump than Johnson.  The results didn't really surprise me other than that, of course I'm going to be more aligned with Clinton and Stein (at least what they have said they stand for) as I'm a 27 year old chemist (with an environmental science degree) who has always leaned a bit left.

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

Note: This thread is 2721 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!