IGNORED

Mizuno Help

Vinny Cap
Note: This thread is 2744 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do we have any Mizuno guys out there with some feedback on what you are playing?  Looking at the MP series.

I had some extra cake and was thinking of trying some Mizuno's.  I do hear a lot of talk about how soft and playable they are so I was thinking of getting some.  I like the look of the MP line so that's where I was looking but trying to follow the model number progression is crazy!!  I was looking for a timeline to see what was made when as they don't go in order.

So I stopped in Golfsmith at lunch and checked out what they had.  For used they only had MP58's.  They weren't too bad but a bit beat up.  For new they had MP5's and MP25's.  I love the look of the MP5's!  WOW, sweet clubs.  I also hit them better than the 25's.

So if you play any MP's and want to let me know what you think of them I would appreciate the info.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I play Mizunos but not anything new. They are the MP32s. But I can say that I LOVE them! They have better feel and feedback than any other clubs I tried in the past. I like the top line as well. I have not hit any new irons in the last few years though. I was afraid I would be too tempted to drop a load of money on a new set...haha.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

I have the MP-69s and love them.   when I did my shaft fitting I used MP-4s and loved them as well.   The MP-69s are a little bigger.   Feel is great.   I love them.   I hope to have them for a very long time.

if you google "Mizuno iron numbering" you'll get a couple of hits from other golf forums.   I didn't see anything obvious in a search here.

—Adam

Thanks for the replies guys.

TN94z  The MP32's are some nice looking irons.  Hope they keep serving you well.

imsys0042  The MP69's are pretty nice too. A lot different than the MP4's.  Keep enjoying them.

Both of the above are right in line with what I am looking for. Mizuno make some nice sticks and I love the clean look of all that polished metal.  That's kind of what I was looking for.  The 67's are kind of right between the two you guys have.

I'm not looking to drop a boat load of money on some so I figured if others could point me to some other nice models, I could get used at a nice price.

I also play some Mizzy's but mine are older as well.  I am currently playing some MP-14's and they are sweet.  I haven't seen them yet but for a newer offering I hear nothing but good things about the 900 tour/ forged series.  Might want to check them out before you pull the trigger, they look gorgeous in all the pics and reviews I have seen.

I bought some really cheap T-Zoid Pro with stiff shafts for $40 shipped. They are a bit old but were in really good shape and came 2-PW with grips in playable shape. I may even put a little time into refinishing them to take care of the bag dings on the heads if I decide to keep them long term. You can find a lot of nice older clubs for a good price if you search Ebay. With the low prices you can find it's fairly low risk to buy and try different sets.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I played MP-30 irons for 7 or 8 years, until I bought my current irons.  They're excellent clubs, and I see a number of sets on Ebay for under $200.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

All clubs will perform if you get fitted for them. 

It's all about balancing how much forgiveness help you want versus the look and how the club fits you in terms of   ball flight. 

In the end it's the swing over the clubs. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

In terms of the MP line, many people liked the MP-53 better than the 54 though I didn't notice that much of a difference.  I'd suggest you take a look at the new JPX 900 Forged or Tour too, they play longer than the MP series but are forgiving.  

Joe Paradiso

I played the MP-57 for several years and got the shafts changed after a fitting. These are more forgiving than some of the other MP head and look great. You can find sets of these on eBay. I still have a few of 6 irons that were demo irons I got for $5 that I use for practice too. (MP 57, 58 and 60).

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I bought a new set of MP64s a couple of years ago when money was burning a hole, but never understood why I didn't just stay with the MP14s that i had been playing, so went back to them this season and suspect I will stay with them for foreseeable future. My only problem is the loss of the set's pitching wedge...somewhere on the course. Mizuno irons are a joy to play with, but if your only interest is score or you haven't time to practice and play, then you might do better with what's euphemistically known as "forgiving" irons. :-)

I dont play the MP line but I was very close when it came to my new irons a few years ago.  I ended up with the JPX line and I would suggest giving the brand new 900's a look.  

Thanks for the replies guys!  Good info on many different models.  I have been to a couple of Golfsmith's checking what they have in the used section but nothing has caught my eye yet.  Many sets of beat up sticks and shovels.

Ill keep looking on Ebay and hit the other 2 Golfsmith's near me. Hopefully I find something I like.

I play the MP-15's (titanium insert) right now

I used to play the MP-53's (player cavity back but not as unforgiving as the MP-64's)

first off - go to a store and swing a bunch of the models and decide what you like for you.  And then go do it again a couple more times to see if you get the same results -

but in 'general'

For a 16 handicap I'd recommend the JPX Series (Pro - 850, 900, etc).  This is NOT a crack about GI irons, I know a few locals here that have all gone to the more forgiving irons - one of the is a +1 handicap.  It's just nice to have the forgiveness.  My next set I'm looking into it very seriously.

If in the MP line - I loved my MP-53's and wish I had kept that set as a backup.

My MP-15's are fantastic.  the feel is great, I get good contact and very consistent distances.

all the mizzy's have nice look at address

I'd avoid the MP63 and 64's - though they are nice, you pretty much have to hit a spot the size of a dime or else they'll numb your hands - I don't have the inclination to put in the lessons or time to get to that point for what (for me) is a half club of length and lower traj (which likely I could get on my 15's with shaft optimizations.

The MP4's (5's and 25s) are beautiful - but I wouldn't play them.  I don't have the skill to take advantage.

all that said - I've rented other brands.  I prefer the Mizuno's but I can't say much other than it's a feel thing.  The others played just fine.  Getting a good fitting is more important than brand or model - IMHO

Bill - 

I've got a combo set of MP-25s (PW to 5) and MP-H5s (4-3) and love them. I haven't been through dozens of the newer sets to compare but during fitting I tried a few others in the Mizuno range and the AP1s and couple of Callaways. A combination of being properly fitted and having a nice looking soft iron set as well made as the Mizunos has done the trick for me. The feel is great, the softer feel of the scoring irons progressing to the more solid feel of the longer irons works really well I think and the H5s at the bottom keep that going smoothly. 

When I first got them I had a distance gap between my 7 iron and my 6 that felt too large but I think that was a swing issue mainly and now its more normal.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I currently play Miura MC102's.  Awesome clubs.  Wanted to try some Mizunos so I have been looking around.  I have found a couple of nice sets of MP 67's.  I didn't see any responses mentioning those.  Pretty good deals so far.  If I decide to go new, it will be the MP 5's.

I don't like the JPX line.  UGLY sticks!  I have to like what I am hitting and all those flashy colors and badges really turn me off. Generally don't like the look or feel of GI or SGI clubs.

I am a pretty good iron player.  Usually loose the strokes on the drive or a duff here and there.  Often the whole game isn't working that day... driver off, putting off, short game off.  I have pulled most of it together this year and have knocked my HI down from 20is to what it is but I haven't been getting the rounds in this summer due to football.  Its almost over so I am playing till it snows!

I understand the 'ugly' about the JPX - too busy.  the 900s look a lot better.

MP5 is pretty aggressive - especially if buying new.  If you can, try to hit the 53 or 54 - really nice.

regardless, we're all different - use what feels good for you.  good luck

Bill - 

I have not ever heard of the JPX as ugly clubs unless you are talking about the EZ line.  I like the way they look at address but I guess I can understand the vast difference if you are used to the MP lines.

Note: This thread is 2744 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!