IGNORED

For the mid to high hcp'rs ... 5w vs 3w

inthehole
Note: This thread is 2747 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I never used to be able to use a 3 wood until this year. A combination of swing improvements and trying every 3 wood that my local pro shop had until I found one I was successful with has helped me a lot. Over the off season I'm actually planning on replacing my 3 hybrid which is 18* with a 17.5* Cobra F6 Baffler. The shaft is a bit shorter than the 3 hybrid to compensate for the slightly stronger loft and when I compared the two the average distances were the same with a much tighter dispersion on the Baffler. With that replacement and picking up a used matching vokey 56* wedge my set should be finished. The only possible exceptions are if I decide to replace my driver and/or get a custom fit putter. However, with the plans of buying a house I doubt either of those two things are going to happen.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Following somebody's suggestion earlier in the thread, I am awaiting delivery of a new grip which I shall fit to my 3 wood which I have shortened to the length of my 5 wood. You see, I have a 5 wood I hit quite well, but would like that extra bit of distance. I am absolutely hopeless with a 3 wood, and despite trying a few different ones, I still make a hash of nearly every shot. On the very occasional time I have struck the ball well with it, the ball does travel about an additional 20 yards. We have a few holes on my course where a 5 wood just isn't enough off of the tee, but a driver is to much. Anyway, it's worth a try :content:

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

10 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

I have a slogan (complaint) that "I hate anything with a 3" when I'm on the fairway. Even my 3 hybrid pisses me off. 

Regarding the 5 wood am I wrong that these aren't the most popular club anymore? When I walk into my favorite GolfSmith for practice, they have several groups of demo clubs out. Plenty of drivers, and "3/4 hybrids". A few 3 woods. I've never found a 5 wood in what they are pushing.

Hybrids have filled the gaps that 5W used to fill, so I'm not shocked that golf stores don't keep many in inventory.  

Joe Paradiso

18 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Hybrids have filled the gaps that 5W used to fill, so I'm not shocked that golf stores don't keep many in inventory.  

True. I use a 18 degree hybrid in that hole, too. I see a lot of guys doing the same. I think hybrids a little more versatile than a traditional 5 wood. 

I have a fairway wood with adjustable head that I set at 19 degree  

I prefer the slightly longer shaft of fairway wood to a hybrid 

The 5 wood is the only club that I "work" left to right or right to left. The other clubs go fairly straight 

15 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

I have a slogan (complaint) that "I hate anything with a 3" when I'm on the fairway. Even my 3 hybrid pisses me off. 

Regarding the 5 wood am I wrong that these aren't the most popular club anymore? When I walk into my favorite GolfSmith for practice, they have several groups of demo clubs out. Plenty of drivers, and "3/4 hybrids". A few 3 woods. I've never found a 5 wood in what they are pushing.

Exactly.  From what I read here, and with some of my golf buds, the setup for more guys is starting to look like this:

1. Driver, 4-wood, 3 hybrid, 4i - wedges;

2. Driver 4-wood, 7-wood, 4 hybrid, 5i through wedges

I don't know many that have the standard driver, 3- and 5-wood setup anymore.  Most of my buddies have a 3-hybrid that if you look closely, has cobwebs and virtually no wear on the face or sole.  I don't know if these are 'specialty clubs' used only on par-3s of a certain length or what. OTOH, some guys use a 3-hybrid religiously from the rough on long holes.  My league partner is deadly with his 3-hybrid.  Probably the most consistent club in his bag.

Personally, I don't like have 'specialty clubs' or clubs that don't get used in my bag.  I've gone down to 13 clubs this season and they ALL see playing time.  5- and 7-woods get the bulk of the work on 2nd shots on par-5s and long par-4 holes.  I have a 5-hybrid on the 160 or so yards par 3 holes.  Anything shorter than the hybrid, I know each club's yardage designation.  I also carry 4 wedges for shots 115 and in so I can use a full swing with each.

Don't need no steenkin' THREE WOOD!

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

15 hours ago, newtogolf said:

Most the hybrids I see are 3's or "3-4's".

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Before I start, I know full well the tricks golf clubs can play on a golfer, and I know all about honeymoon periods.

I have never been able to hit my 3 wood, whether it be off of the tee or fairway. Somebody on this thread mentioned shortening theirs, so I gave it a go. I just took about half an inch off of mine. I played 9 holes today and used it 5 times. 

1) First hole, off of the deck. 190 yards straight line

2) Third hole, par 3 off of the tee. 170 yards on an incline against the wind. Ended up 5 feet from the pin for a birdie

3) 4th hole off of the deck. 180 yards, ended up just to the right off of the fairway. None the less, a decent shot

4) 6th hole off of the deck. 180 yards in a straight line.

5) 8th hole. 190 yards slight fade off of the deck, but left me with a short chip to the green.

I don't know if this is because of the shorter shaft, or because it is in my head. That said, I am only 5' 7" and the shortening may have helped. 

Edited by paininthenuts

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

27 minutes ago, paininthenuts said:

Before I start, I know full well the tricks golf clubs can play on a golfer, and I know all about honeymoon periods.

I have never been able to hit my 3 wood, whether it be off of the tee or fairway. Somebody on this thread mentioned shortening theirs, so I gave it a go. I just took about half an inch off of mine. I played 9 holes today and used it 5 times. 

2) Third hole, par 3 off of the tee. 170 yards on an incline against the wind. Ended up 5 feet from the pin for a birdie

3) 4th hole off of the deck. 180 yards, ended up just to the right off of the fairway. None the less, a decent shot

5) 8th hole. 190 yards slight fade off of the deck, but left me with a short chip to the green.

I don't know if this is because of the shorter shaft, or because it is in my head. That said, I am only 5' 7" and the shortening may have helped. 

Good work.

For the rest of us - what is it that makes that 3 wood so damn hard to hit ? It's shorter than a driver to start right?

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

hybrids come and go for me, I currently can't hit useful hybrids.  Meaning I can hit a 4h or a 6h, but i hit irons fine (better) in that area.  but a 2 or 3 hybrid to fill the gap of the OP, i could only use to get out of trouble below trees at the moment.  I have taken just the 19* to the range and hit full buckets, changing address, AOA, path, and i can only seem to hit low , like really low , short worm burners, or high pushes (blocks) or slices.

Getting back to topic, the weird thing is that these are my usual shot shapes with a standard or strong 3 as well. Which has led to current set up of a 17* fairway and a 21* fairway, i guess that wood be in the 4 wood strong 7 range, their length keeps me shallow enough on AOA so that their loft can do it's job. This puts me in about 15 + or - yard gaps to my old loft 3 iron. 

Never been a fan of the 3w, just never got on with it.  I have a 5w and a 3h. Hybrid is a John Letters TR47 and is a great looking club, just cant hit the damn thing (need more time with it, only been in the bag a month). My 5w is a Dunlop NZ9 and its a little cracker off the tee for short/narrow par 4's

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

1 hour ago, RussUK said:

Never been a fan of the 3w, just never got on with it.  I have a 5w and a 3h. Hybrid is a John Letters TR47 and is a great looking club, just cant hit the damn thing (need more time with it, only been in the bag a month). My 5w is a Dunlop NZ9 and its a little cracker off the tee for short/narrow par 4's

Strange that. I had tried several 5 woods with know luck. I had an old Dunlop 5 wood which I could hit well, but sold it as part of a set. I eventually ended up buying a Dunlop 65 5 wood for £2  from a bricabrac sale, and have got on with it brilliantly. 

4 hours ago, paininthenuts said:

I mentioned it and it's worked for me well past my normal honeymoon stage.  I don't know why it works, but it does for me.  I hope it continues to work for you as well.    

Joe Paradiso

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 9:13 AM, Groucho Valentine said:

True. I use a 18 degree hybrid in that hole, too. I see a lot of guys doing the same. I think hybrids a little more versatile than a traditional 5 wood. 

Funny, I played an 18° hybrid from 2013-2015 ... loved that club.    But for me an 18° 5 wood is much longer - if I were to average the two (not taking best of either club), the 5 wood is 20 yards longer than the 18° hybrid.   And even with the longer shaft, I hit it just as reliably.   

Disclaimer ... I don't hit the 5w from the rough much, but I never had a lot of luck with the 18° hybrid from the rough - I rely 100% on my 4i & 21° hybrid for hitting out of the rough.

In my experience, I just don't see a hybrid and fairway wood of the same loft as being interchangeable...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

^^^ this is my experience as well. 4H from the rough, 3H from the tee, but with a clean lie I always hit 4-5W (18.5*). Very reliable club, maybe my favorite. 

Have a 3 wood collecting dust ... If I ever use it, will install a liteweight high launch, mid spin shaft to play at 42.25 inches.

Went to a 4, 7 wd combo and enjoy it. But what made the difference recently was playing them at a  length that leads to better shots and greater consistency.

Both woods have a high launch, mid spin liteweight shaft (45g and 55g) with a 42 in and 41 inch length respectively. My clubmaker adjusted the swingweight/balance to D2.

Good luck.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

17 hours ago, inthehole said:

Funny, I played an 18° hybrid from 2013-2015 ... loved that club.    But for me an 18° 5 wood is much longer - if I were to average the two (not taking best of either club), the 5 wood is 20 yards longer than the 18° hybrid.   And even with the longer shaft, I hit it just as reliably.   

Disclaimer ... I don't hit the 5w from the rough much, but I never had a lot of luck with the 18° hybrid from the rough - I rely 100% on my 4i & 21° hybrid for hitting out of the rough.

In my experience, I just don't see a hybrid and fairway wood of the same loft as being interchangeable...

Yeah, they're not. Im longer with a 5w too. But like you mentioned, i never found much use for a 5 wood from the rough or bad lies. I hit my 18 degree hybrid pretty well from the rough, though.  Good for low punches, too. I'll give up that extra 10-15 or so yards i would hit a 5w to get the extra versatility. I fly my 18 degree 225-230, so thats a i really all i need from that slot. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine

On 10/14/2016 at 9:34 AM, gregsandiego said:

Good work.

For the rest of us - what is it that makes that 3 wood so damn hard to hit ? It's shorter than a driver to start right?

It's closer to the ground. It's slightly easier to hit an iron off a tee too even if it's only up 1/4"

On 10/13/2016 at 6:04 AM, paininthenuts said:

Following somebody's suggestion earlier in the thread, I am awaiting delivery of a new grip which I shall fit to my 3 wood which I have shortened to the length of my 5 wood. You see, I have a 5 wood I hit quite well, but would like that extra bit of distance. I am absolutely hopeless with a 3 wood, and despite trying a few different ones, I still make a hash of nearly every shot. On the very occasional time I have struck the ball well with it, the ball does travel about an additional 20 yards. We have a few holes on my course where a 5 wood just isn't enough off of the tee, but a driver is to much. Anyway, it's worth a try :content:

Knowing that manufacturer's add shaft length for marketing purposes, I had my shaft cut down so the driver would be 44.5" and hit it pretty well. I recently started gripping down so it's 43" and have not lost any significant distance and have been making more consistently solid contact.

Kevin

Note: This thread is 2747 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!