IGNORED

Breaking 80 Thread

Hazsa
Note: This thread is 1618 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 8/16/2019 at 6:06 PM, TRUCKER said:

Your an 8. Don't you do that all the time? 🤷‍♀️

No.  Not at all.  Every course I play at is difficult. @sjduffers explained it pretty well. Also, I wasn’t an 8 when I made that post, I was a 10.5. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I came awfully close these last two months. Had like 4 81 and 3 82 rounds lol.

Sometimes I choked at the last two holes or sometimes it was one blowup holes that ruined the round.

But my index is trending down, 8.9 next time and I will definitely break 80 this year. 

Breaking 80 is about minimizing mistakes, and keeping your 'misses' manageable.A LOT depends on the following factors.

1. Keep your drive in play

2. No OB shots

3. Convert your up and down opportunities successfully.

4. No double bogeys

5. No three-putts

In a nutshell, the major thing that's going to get you to drop below 80 is not absorbing extra strokes for bad shots. Your short game needs to be dialed-in as much as possible

• Thumbs Up 1

I took a crack at the extremely short Dales Course on Saturday, but didn't quite get the 80 that time.

Along with some crappy putting, I lost a ball on the second hole and wasn't about to go backwards with the course that packed. So that was an X on that hole. 

One thing is for sure, I don't need to hit driver. I think I ought to be able to get this if I keep going out there.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

I lost a ball on the second hole and wasn't about to go backwards with the course that packed. So that was an X on that hole. 

You probably could have dropped in the fairway using the new alternative to stroke and distance local rule and then just asked in the clubhouse later if the local rule was in effect.

image.png 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

1 minute ago, klineka said:

You probably could have dropped in the fairway using the new alternative to stroke and distance local rule and then just asked in the clubhouse later if the local rule was in effect.

I'm familiar with that, but on that particular shot I had no idea where I would even drop from. Never even saw it, but It felt like a semi-solid push, so I expected to locate it off the right side of the green. Since it wasn't there, it must have been a substantially worse shot than I thought it was.

At that point it was time to move on one way or another.

On 8/16/2019 at 3:27 PM, mcanadiens said:

Of course, it's not the way to go in the long run, but my season is finished anyway. So I sort of feeling like goofing around.

So why is "your season" over??? It's August?

8 minutes ago, Jim Ludden said:

So why is "your season" over??? It's August?

It's the schedule we got.

Club Champions was over a week ago Sunday. All that's left is a scramble, a Ryder Cup-type event that I'm not good enough for and a Playoff, which I didn't qualify for.

27 minutes ago, Jim Ludden said:

Ah, your tournament season.  I thought you were done playing for the year and though there can't be snow up there yet!

Snow sounds good right now.  90F with 80% humidity. 

Plenty more hacking left in this year, but the scoring doesn't matter now.

9 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

Snow sounds good right now.  

Stop it. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

i shot 78 with 3 doubles and 3 bogies last weekend.  Golf is a weird game. I've played decent tee to green before, not made worse than bogey and can shoot 82, and I've shot rounds like the first one I mentioned where I seemingly shit the bed but broke 80, though the 3 doubles werent really indicative of how I struck the ball.  I had never broken 80 before this year, but have done it 5 times already this year in just over 20 rounds.  Typically I'm done in by some wayward tee shots so I'm working hard to make my misses a little less wild, and also learning some other shots around the green to use in certain situations.  I tend to fall in love with a few different shots I hit very well, but might be completely wrong for the situation that ends up turning par/bogey at worst into doubles. 

3-pw 2007 callaway x-forged
56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16
Shoes - Etonic stabilite sport

19 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

Snow sounds good right now.  90F with 80% humidity. 

Plenty more hacking left in this year, but the scoring doesn't matter now.

We never say the "S" word in August. Bad JuJu!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Finally shot 79 last Thursday for the first time in over two years. I've had a couple of injuries and my game had suffered because I lost a lot of distance off the tee.  I've started practicing more and things are improving. Still the key to scoring is in the short game. My course has six par fours that I struggle to reach in two. My goal now is to make no worse than bogie on these holes. If I can do that I have a good chance of breaking 80 on a regular basis as I did before the injuries. 

14 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

Finally shot 79 last Thursday for the first time in over two years. I've had a couple of injuries and my game had suffered because I lost a lot of distance off the tee.  I've started practicing more and things are improving. Still the key to scoring is in the short game. My course has six par fours that I struggle to reach in two. My goal now is to make no worse than bogie on these holes. If I can do that I have a good chance of breaking 80 on a regular basis as I did before the injuries. 

I disagree.  Key to scoring is the long distance game.  Key to avoiding big numbers is having a decent short game.  It may be a subtle difference, but it has a big impact on your game.

If you can get on in regulation with your long game, you have already avoided big numbers.  Having a good short game only masks inefficiencies in your long game.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I could write a book on screwing up monster tee shots.  Honestly, a 330 yard par 4 is a difficult hole for me as often as it is easy.  I can get the drive within 50 yards...and this is getting better...but I still often take four strokes from there.  It's pretty bad.

18 hours ago, Yukari said:

I disagree.  Key to scoring is the long distance game.  Key to avoiding big numbers is having a decent short game.  It may be a subtle difference, but it has a big impact on your game.

If you can get on in regulation with your long game, you have already avoided big numbers.  Having a good short game only masks inefficiencies in your long game.

I agree with this.  The long game is the key to lower scores.  If one is consistent off the tee and has minimal penalty strokes, scoring under is more likely.  

A great short game can help in a particular round, but, consistent ball striking is paramount.

On 8/21/2019 at 4:54 PM, Yukari said:

Maybe you're right. I should possibly clarify that I include putting when I say the short game is the key to scoring. I'm certainly not going to argue that long drives are critically important in today's game. However, I played with a guy last Thursday that was 20 years younger and he out drove me by an average of 25 to 30 yards all day. We both shot the same score. As my grandfather once said "one can cover up a lot of bad shots with one good putt".

Note: This thread is 1618 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!