IGNORED

Which wines do you prefer?

Hacker James
Note: This thread is 2658 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 12/14/2016 at 10:04 PM, Gator Hazard said:

Agreed. Lots of great wine coming out of South America for some time now. About five years ago my wife and I stayed at Portifino Universal and had dinner at Brio. Most of the wines were overpriced crap you can buy in your grocery store aisle but I was willing to try the second cheapest bottle on the list because it was from Argentina. It was a bottle of Kaiken Malbec and it was phenomenal (I am far from a conossieur-hell can't even spell it right). After a glass I started talking with the waiter about it and how it tasted good, that I had heard South American wines were on the rise and all of a sudden the guy brightened up and started telling me all about it and the region. How he thought it was one of the best wines on the list regardless of price. It was funny, like we knew a secret other diners did not or something. 

It's also interesting that many of those fantastic South American wines were made by California winemakers! Or at least by wineries who contracted Cali winemakers to come down and consult! Our Winter is their Summer, therefore our Spring is their harvest time! Nice opportunity for a double paycheck. And it pays off for us wine drinkers!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I used to be a somewhat of a wine collector . .at one point I had around 400 bottles or so.  I've tried a bit of everything, I suppose - from Australia, New Zealand, South America, Europe, USA, South Africa, etc.  What I like are, first and foremost, cool climate wines..or at least not hot . .so I tend not to like red wines from South America, Australia, much of the US, etc. Second, I like under-rated, under-appreciated  . .uhmm . .cheap wines.  With lots of acidity, red fruit, minerality . .all that good stuff.  Some of my favorite reds are Chinon, Bourgoils, Sonoma Zinfandel, Rhone valley wines, German Riesling,  Barbera, Barbaresco, white Burgundies . .

pretty much anything as long as it *doesn't* taste like, for reds: Oak, Plums, Stewed Fruits or, for whites: Butter, Pineapple.  Tar, leather, minerals, stones, cherries, tobacco, dirt, limestone, whatever else people want to claim . .all good with me.  I once had a California Pinot that tasted like Dr Pepper . .that was odd, lol.  

On 12/17/2016 at 0:36 AM, Rainmaker said:

I used to be a somewhat of a wine collector . .at one point I had around 400 bottles or so.  I've tried a bit of everything, I suppose - from Australia, New Zealand, South America, Europe, USA, South Africa, etc.  What I like are, first and foremost, cool climate wines..or at least not hot . .so I tend not to like red wines from South America, Australia, much of the US, etc. Second, I like under-rated, under-appreciated  . .uhmm . .cheap wines.  With lots of acidity, red fruit, minerality . .all that good stuff.  Some of my favorite reds are Chinon, Bourgoils, Sonoma Zinfandel, Rhone valley wines, German Riesling,  Barbera, Barbaresco, white Burgundies . .

pretty much anything as long as it *doesn't* taste like, for reds: Oak, Plums, Stewed Fruits or, for whites: Butter, Pineapple.  Tar, leather, minerals, stones, cherries, tobacco, dirt, limestone, whatever else people want to claim . .all good with me.  I once had a California Pinot that tasted like Dr Pepper . .that was odd, lol.  

i've had a couple of RRV Pinots that definitely exhibit a "cola" component. typically coming from producers that make a bigger style of PN, and who source from the warmer parts of that AVA. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not a big Merlot fan, Cabernet's are my thing, but this may be the best Merlot I have ever had.  I liked it so much that I bought a case of it.  Best part was that my F&B Manager at the club got me the case for half off.  :beer:

http://www.wagnerfamilyofwine.com/product?productid=D30F8864-7412-434E-837D-8D760DC25C71

2013 Emmolo Merlot-sdw1.jpg

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I'm not a wine guy, my wife and our good friends love it and I'm the guy drinking light beer when they are having wine....they typically drink cab and their go-to wines are Simi and Caymus.

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

On 1/11/2017 at 6:44 AM, Braivo said:

I drink Cabernet out of a box. I live alone so no worries about the wine going flat overnight. Classy, I know. 

of course it depends on the producer, but most of your "bigger" reds (i.e. Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Petite Sirah, Syrah, Mourvedre, Rhone Blends) will keep for at least two days after pulling the cork/screwcap. if you've got a 1/2 bottle left, just re-cork and throw it in the fridge overnight....should be fine the next day, and sometimes even better than Day 1.

22 hours ago, Elrey Desol said:

of course it depends on the producer, but most of your "bigger" reds (i.e. Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Petite Sirah, Syrah, Mourvedre, Rhone Blends) will keep for at least two days after pulling the cork/screwcap. if you've got a 1/2 bottle left, just re-cork and throw it in the fridge overnight....should be fine the next day, and sometimes even better than Day 1.

Yup.  A little decanting does wonders to the taste.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Note: This thread is 2658 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!