IGNORED

Cheap Ball Conundrum

Note: This thread is 2645 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

I have, picked up the sample pack early last year, and wound up a Snell customer ordering 6 dozen MTB.  They are both nice balls, just curious if HitAndGiggle has put his order into play yet.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

I have…

I know. I was recommending them as you were, and just sharing the link for @HitAndGiggle. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 6:59 PM, Denny Bang Bang said:

Have you had the chance to play the Get Sum balls yet?

Thanks guys for the input. I have not really gotten a chance to play the Get Sums yet. The courses out here in sunny California have been really, really muddy. Many of them around here remain closed even when the weather breaks - just not playable. Looking forward to some golf weather so I can "Get Sum"...

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

3 hours ago, HitAndGiggle said:

Thanks guys for the input. I have not really gotten a chance to play the Get Sums yet. The courses out here in sunny California have been really, really muddy. Many of them around here remain closed even when the weather breaks - just not playable. Looking forward to some golf weather so I can "Get Sum"...

Haha yea, the slogan is catchy.  Hope you Get Sum soon!

Well good luck on the weather front, I've heard there's been a bit of flooding.  We're benefiting from all the snow those same storms are bringing.

13 hours ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

Haha yea, the slogan is catchy.  Hope you Get Sum soon!

Well good luck on the weather front, I've heard there's been a bit of flooding.  We're benefiting from all the snow those same storms are bringing.

It's been exceptionally stormy here this winter. Last winter we had like this was back in 1996/97. Back then I used to fly light aircraft (before kids, when I had plenty of extra dough) and this reminds me of that winter when I flew just north of Sacramento to see all the houses with only their roofs showing. The rivers here in the Sacto area are loaded to near the tops of the levies. It's getting a little dicey. This place is called "the next Katrina" for a reason. Now, we're settling in for another four straight days of rain. People are kayaking at the course where I first started playing.

• Upvote 1

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

The price of golf balls has nothing to do with how they preform for you. 80 per cent of pro v1 users don't have the swing speed or skill to get the most out of that ball but they are "brand name posers". If you can't hit a shot 6 feet from the pin why in the world do you want it to stop dead. If you're good enough to hit it 10 feet over the pin and back it up you should be good enough to hit it 10 feet short and roll it up. Use a ball you like and don't wort about the price or brand name.

On 1/17/2017 at 5:36 PM, HitAndGiggle said:

Yes, I've heard that your drought's back has been "broken". Reminds me of an interview that David Letterman had with Johnny Carson not long after Letterman took over the late night post. Letterman asked how things were going out there in Cali, and Carson replied, "Well, things are getting back to normal. The mud slides are putting out the brush fires!"

Edited by Buckeyebowman

I'm currently footing the bill for 2 young teenagers learning the game so cheap balls are on the menu in my house. I've been buying the kids those Wilson bags of 24 balls for $10 at Walmart. The performance is just fine for their games and I am certain that more expensive balls wouldn't make much/any difference in their scores. I have played a round or two with them and they are decent golf balls, especially for $5/doz. or for stocking the practice bag.

But, I'm also looking for something a little better for me to game that won't costs me $30-40/doz. Played today with some Pro V-1 Refurbished ($19/doz.) that performed very well off my driver and had great control with my wedges...really felt good. No downside at all, but I do have some concerns with consistency of refurbished balls after talking with others here.

Used to play Nike Mojos at $25 or so per dozen but after getting a dozen of the Calloway Chrome for Christmas...I think I'm ball shopping again for 2017.

The Snell Get Sum 6-dozen deal comes out to about $14/doz...interested to hear how they perform for others. Might have to try a dozen of those next myself.

:ping:   Ping G30 - Driver       

Ping G Series - 3w & 5w 

Ping G5 - 7w & 5-PW

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52*, 56*, 60*

Ping Sigma 2 Fetch putter

42 minutes ago, Joey G said:

I'm currently footing the bill for 2 young teenagers learning the game so cheap balls are on the menu in my house. I've been buying the kids those Wilson bags of 24 balls for $10 at Walmart. The performance is just fine for their games and I am certain that more expensive balls wouldn't make much/any difference in their scores. I have played a round or two with them and they are decent golf balls, especially for $5/doz. or for stocking the practice bag.

But, I'm also looking for something a little better for me to game that won't costs me $30-40/doz. Played today with some Pro V-1 Refurbished ($19/doz.) that performed very well off my driver and had great control with my wedges...really felt good. No downside at all, but I do have some concerns with consistency of refurbished balls after talking with others here.

Used to play Nike Mojos at $25 or so per dozen but after getting a dozen of the Calloway Chrome for Christmas...I think I'm ball shopping again for 2017.

The Snell Get Sum 6-dozen deal comes out to about $14/doz...interested to hear how they perform for others. Might have to try a dozen of those next myself.

Snell has a sample pack, with 6 MTB and 6 Get Sum.  That's what I did.  Both are nice balls, I now play the MTB as my game ball.  And if you search this site (or any other) you'll see a lot of good feedback on both balls as well.

https://www.snellgolf.com/products/testing-pack/

• Upvote 1

While the Kirkland ball is now RIP, Costco does sell their Callaway Hex Soft balls in stores for about a $1 per ball. They're quite lovely. Soft, but spinny and responsive.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I just went and ordered a doz Bridgestone 330RX  from Lost Golf Balls  for $5.00 off their regular price. Total with shipping  comes to just over $18. Would have been better deal with free shipping...but.....

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

okay, received one dozen  Bridgestone TourB330-RX from Lost Golf Balls. Appear to be in mint condition, a few had logos, so probably not refurbished. I really  don't know what goes into these. In any event, pleased. (also received a free protein energy bar).  Would buy them again.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I play Bridgestone balls, and Volviks when I can find them. Right now I have a few boxes of those cheapie Costco balls to work my way through. Shoot the same scores with all of them. 

I don't think most golfers have a precise enough swing to make one ball better than another. Just MHO. 

My golf buddies, and I have a little game where we play with range balls. Not much different than when we play our gamers. Maybe a stroke or two. Then again we are usually just goofing off, while ragging on each other. Having fun days. 

I use to play a ball many years ago, that was replaced with something better. Loved it. Great distance, great with my short game, and money on the greens. The new ball was not better. 

My point is, to play with what ever ball trips your trigger. Cheap, or expensive, it does not matter. What ever ball "you think" benefits your game, that's the one to go with.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

17 hours ago, Patch said:

I play Bridgestone balls, and Volviks when I can find them. Right now I have a few boxes of those cheapie Costco balls to work my way through. Shoot the same scores with all of them. 

I don't think most golfers have a precise enough swing to make one ball better than another. Just MHO. 

My golf buddies, and I have a little game where we play with range balls. Not much different than when we play our gamers. Maybe a stroke or two. Then again we are usually just goofing off, while ragging on each other. Having fun days. 

I use to play a ball many years ago, that was replaced with something better. Loved it. Great distance, great with my short game, and money on the greens. The new ball was not better. 

My point is, to play with what ever ball trips your trigger. Cheap, or expensive, it does not matter. What ever ball "you think" benefits your game, that's the one to go with.

Coitenly.  The first rock that tripped my trigger was the Lynx Black Cat. I'll have to mix those in with my new Snell Get Sums and I'll be in my own golf ball heaven.

When you walk the sides/rough on the courses around here I'm guessing that 80% of the balls you find are ProV1. Don't know why I find that so funny...

11 hours ago, HitAndGiggle said:

Coitenly.  The first rock that tripped my trigger was the Lynx Black Cat. I'll have to mix those in with my new Snell Get Sums and I'll be in my own golf ball heaven.

When you walk the sides/rough on the courses around here I'm guessing that 80% of the balls you find are ProV1. Don't know why I find that so funny...

True dat! I find more ProV1's and X's than almost any ball other than Top Flites!

All this tells me is that the average golfer vastly over estimates the state of their game, and has far too much money to spend!

Ah yes...stalking golf balls in the wild.  They tend to congregate in brier patches...or at the bottom of steep grades.  

• Upvote 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

8 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

True dat! I find more ProV1's and X's than almost any ball other than Top Flites!

All this tells me is that the average golfer vastly over estimates the state of their game, and has far too much money to spend!

This may be true, but you are also assuming people who play ProV1 are paying full price. I find mine on Craigslist. New balls for $30 - 35 per box usually. I just picked up 5 dozen. I also get Lost Golf Ball ProV1.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I live near a course,so i tend to find a lot of balls along the edge of the course.The ball I come across most is Pinnacle gold,after that it would be pro v's.In the last few months I have been seeing a lot of bridgestone's as well.

I have an old ball called a black diamond,I take it out of the bag when I'm havin a bad day,always flys straight.

Note: This thread is 2645 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!