IGNORED

New PING i200 Irons

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2614 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

From Ted Purdy on Twitter. Cavity design is similar to the S55 irons (but deeper) mixed with a little TaylorMade Rac. From what I've heard the head shape is basically the same as the i E1 irons but with the same finish as the Glide wedges and iBlade irons. The 6-iron (maybe the long irons as well) don't seem to have the tungsten weight on the toe that many of the previous models did.

Looks cool, nice "clean tech" look and the style seems to match up well with their wedges, iBlades and even Vault putters.

Non-PING, no up charge shafts are going to be DG, KBS Tour, Pro Modus Tour 105, Project X, and XP 95.  

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm not sure that I like the look of the backs more than the previous i irons but that isn't really so important for me.  Will be interested to try them out as I am thinking about changing my 3-4-5 s55 irons to i.  Can't imagine they are going to be that much better than the previous generation though.

What is going on with their numbering system?  Is there some ping history thing where i200 makes sense?  They seem to be just jumping around all over the place with their club names at the moment.

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

6 hours ago, mvmac said:

Cavity design is similar to the S55 irons (but deeper) mixed with a little TaylorMade Rac.

You nailed it with that description!  Nice looking clubs.

2 hours ago, ZappyAd said:

What is going on with their numbering system?  Is there some ping history thing where i200 makes sense?  They seem to be just jumping around all over the place with their club names at the moment.

That is odd for Ping.  They were pretty good with the name/number scheme.  Nothing like trying to follow the Mizuno lineup!  :~(

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Non-PING, no up charge shafts are going to be DG, KBS Tour, Pro Modus Tour 105, Project X, and XP 95.  

20 hours ago, ZappyAd said:

I'm not sure that I like the look of the backs more than the previous i irons but that isn't really so important for me.

I prefer the satin finish and they also go well with the S55 irons or iBlades if someone wanted to do a split set.

Can't imagine they are going to be that much better than the previous generation though.

Yes I'd figure the playability will be pretty darn similar to the i E1 irons. Only so many things you can do with an iron, especially a forgiving "players" iron.

TaylorMade once told me golfers replace their irons every 5-7 years so that's more of who they're marketing to than the guy who is playing the i E1 irons. 

Yeah it's kinda funny. I guess i200 might be a nod to the "next generation" of the Eye 2?

Mike McLoughlin

This is starting to pique my curiosity. . .

They look really nice.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

31 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I'm glad the days of Ping making ugly (awkward looking at least) seem to be over. 

I think that ended several years ago.  Probably when they went away from that high toe that the Zings and probably a few other models may have had.

Just now, Golfingdad said:

I think that ended several years ago.  Probably when they went away from that high toe that the Zings and probably a few other models may have had.

I know. I've been gaming G30s for a few years now. Happy that they are not showing signs of reverting I should have said.

• Upvote 1

- Shane

Looks pretty darn similar in shape/design to the iE1 irons.

Mike McLoughlin

• 3 weeks later...

They look really nice. I agree with many opinions that they have a bit of the TM RAC look about them. The reviews I've seen so far are pretty good on these.  Looks like Ping has another winner. 

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Got to hit these recently at one of the local golf shops.  Sadly they don't have an LM (if you can believe that) so I didn't get any stats.  That said, I love the looks of this iron all around.  Appeared to have less offset than traditional Ping irons, which I liked.  In terms of feel, they were right on with the i20 and i25 irons from a few years back.  I really like that Ping has aligned the look of the i200, iBlades and Glide wedges so you could very easily build a mixed i200/iBlade set and it'd look really nice in the bag.

Driver: Cobra FlyZ | 9.5 Degrees Draw | Fujikura Pro 63 Tour Spec
Fairway Wood: Cobra F7 3-4 Wood | 14.5 degrees | Fujikura Pro 65
Hybrid: Cobra F7 3-4H | 19 degrees | Fujikura Pro 75H
Irons: Srixon Z545 (4-Iron) | Srixon Z 765 (5-PW)
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 | 50 F Grind | 54 M Grind | 58 K Grind
Putter: Odyssey O-Works 1W WBW

1 hour ago, OrangeHog said:

Appeared to have less offset than traditional Ping irons, which I liked.

i200 and iE1 have the same amount but yes the past 5-10 years they'e been going with less offset in their irons.

1 hour ago, OrangeHog said:

I really like that Ping has aligned the look of the i200, iBlades and Glide wedges so you could very easily build a mixed i200/iBlade set and it'd look really nice in the bag.

Yes that is pretty cool.

Mike McLoughlin

8 hours ago, mvmac said:

i200 and iE1 have the same amount but yes the past 5-10 years they'e been going with less offset in their irons.

I wanted to like the iE1 but the the cavity badging was a little odd.  Very minor complaint, as I thought it felt solid when I got to demo them.

Driver: Cobra FlyZ | 9.5 Degrees Draw | Fujikura Pro 63 Tour Spec
Fairway Wood: Cobra F7 3-4 Wood | 14.5 degrees | Fujikura Pro 65
Hybrid: Cobra F7 3-4H | 19 degrees | Fujikura Pro 75H
Irons: Srixon Z545 (4-Iron) | Srixon Z 765 (5-PW)
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 | 50 F Grind | 54 M Grind | 58 K Grind
Putter: Odyssey O-Works 1W WBW

I have the I e-1 irons but will be selling them to get the I200 with the same specs.  Just love the face being all satin vs. the 2 tone look of mind.

Note: This thread is 2614 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!