IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

(edited)

#16 At Eaglesticks.  The drive being 271 yards is not as special as it sounds.  Once part the 150 marker it was a lot of downhill roll.  Still, it set up a rare birdie for me.

IMG_9859.png

Edited by StuM
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would probably say it is the 5-iron I hit to about 6-FT on hole #8 at Northstar. It was about 190-yards into the wind. That gets 0.76 strokes gained 😉 

I did have a drive that got me like 0.62 strokes gained at Eaglesticks. The 5 iron wins. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I hit this shot in front of a gathered audience and I didn't even hear any applause. Tough crowd.

24-06-02 BSotW.png

To be fair, it's hard to hear from 250 yards away.

• Thumbs Up 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

15 minutes ago, billchao said:

I hit this shot in front of a gathered audience and I didn't even hear any applause. Tough crowd.

24-06-02 BSotW.png

Reggie Watts Applause GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

• Funny 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

15 hours ago, billchao said:

24-06-02 BSotW.png

We did applaud, but we were a small group and did not get the "ROAR" of a great shot at the US Open.  

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

This is a 203 yard par 5…, but the direct line is covered by tall trees. I pulled the tee shot left, giving me only a narrow gap to advance the ball down to the next segment of the hole. Was left with 170 yards, sidehill and uphill in some first-cut-ish rough to an elevated green. Tried to line up to the right of the green with a choked up 4i. It was good all the way and landed on the middle of the green. Hit the first putt 10 feet past and made the return.

IMG_2194.jpeg

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Two from my round today.

Started on 10 and had about 30yds left into a par 5 for my 3rd shot with a decent amount of green to work with. Since I had green to work with I wanted to hit a low to mid trajectory shot. I hit a low driving 58 degree and as soon as I hit it I knew it was going to be perfect but my buddies started saying "bite!" and "get down" as soon as I hit it because they thought I thinned it. It took one hop about 6 feet in front of the hole and stopped on a dime about 15" away from the hole for a tap in birdie to start the round.

Last par 5 of the day my buddy chipped in for birdie from about 20yds away across the green, I was just off the green but only about 20 feet or so from the hole for my birdie look, maybe could have putted it but I trusted my 54 degree that I've been practicing and carried it about 2 feet onto the green then it rolled the rest of the way straight into the hole for birdie right on top of his before he had even walked up and picked his out of the hole. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood
Irons: :titleist: U505 (3)  :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :titleist: ProV1x Left Dash

I've had a couple of good shots since the last time I posted, 1 a 90 yard approach that I manufactured with my gap wedge that I knocked to about 18 inches, 1 a ~140 yard 8 iron that I got to about 3 feet (pictured), but this week my best shot was a 60 yard pitch. It wasn't anything special but I did hit it out of a divot, so that's what I'm more proud of. Plus, i didn't really have any memorable shots this week.20240601_094133.thumb.jpg.d5625ce1c4ed37f3efd993166083bf32.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • D1-SIM MAX D 9° Diamana pd 50 reg lofted down 1 click 
  • D2-SIM MAX D 10.5° project x riptide cb 50 reg lofted up 2 clicks
  • 5w- Radspeed motore f3 
  • 3H- Tour Edge Exotics e722 kbs hybrid stiff
  • 4-5h tour edge exotics ex9
  • 6-AW- Cleveland launcher xl Nippon Zelos 7
  • 56°-Cleveland CBX Zipcore
  • P-Odyssey eleven tour lined slant neck

Heavy rain from a squall was pounding down. I hit driver on #18 at Pierce Lake to the hole location back right. Probably 230 yards. I knew the shot was good but did not tarry and hustled over to some sheltering trees until the squall passed. Eventually the rain lessened a bit and I jogged over to the green. 6 feet. I missed the putt but the tee shot was still darn good.

• Thumbs Up 2

Brian Kuehn

2nd shot into a short par 5. I had ~185 left but was just off the fairway to the right with some low tree limbs in front of me.

Aimed at the water and hit a punch slice 4 iron that started low under the trees, rose higher as it kept going, cut towards the middle of the green, carried the water and rolled to ~25 feet for an eagle putt. Lipped out the eagle putt but never going to complain about tap in birdies. 

It was one of those shots that I've done before and was a perfect yardage gap. I have a punch 4 iron swing that I know goes right at 185, and I can cut the ball much easier than I can draw it, so it was actually a much easier shot for me than it appears to be in the picture. I would have been fine if it would have over cut too, rough isn't very penal here so it would have been an easy chip from short right. 

Although to be fair I didn't realize/remember that the water cut in as far into the fairway as it did, I thought it stopped right around the left edge of the green. 

image.png

IMG_4340.jpeg

Shot of the Week for me was definitely this drive that set up my second birdie of the back 9 yesterday. It’s a longer par 4 but usually the prevailing wind is with you (the slightly longer hole to the right is a par 5 that usually plays into the wind). I don’t usually hit driver on this hole and honestly couldn’t think of the last time I did when I was standing on the tee.

Yesterday, the wind was in the opposite direction so I had to hit into a headwind. I decided I’d need the extra length with driver on the tee and absolutely piped it. It was perfectly launched with low spin that just penetrated through the wind. Technically the approach shot was worth more in SG (I hit it inside 4’), but this drive set up the entire hole.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

IMG_4340.jpeg

Shot of the Week for me was definitely this drive that set up my second birdie of the back 9 yesterday. It’s a longer par 4 but usually the prevailing wind is with you (the slightly longer hole to the right is a par 5 that usually plays into the wind). I don’t usually hit driver on this hole and honestly couldn’t think of the last time I did when I was standing on the tee.

Yesterday, the wind was in the opposite direction so I had to hit into a headwind. I decided I’d need the extra length with driver on the tee and absolutely piped it. It was perfectly launched with low spin that just penetrated through the wind. Technically the approach shot was worth more in SG (I hit it inside 4’), but this drive set up the entire hole.

Just curious, why don't you usually hit driver there? Downwind would typically help keep it a bit straighter, and it seems like laying back some would bring that right fairway bunker into play, right? Looks like the only penalty stroke hazard would potentially be way left, right?

1 hour ago, klineka said:

Just curious, why don't you usually hit driver there? Downwind would typically help keep it a bit straighter, and it seems like laying back some would bring that right fairway bunker into play, right? Looks like the only penalty stroke hazard would potentially be way left, right?

Left is all lateral hazard, yea. Half the fairway slopes left towards it. You can kind of make out the mow line where the rough ends on the right and the fescue begins, which lines the entire hole. And now that the fescue is grown in, it’s just pure luck finding a ball in it. The hole plays narrower than it appears.

I don’t mind hitting 7 iron or something into this green. It’s fairly large with a wide collection area short. And I’m apparently much better out of a fairway bunker than I give myself credit for. I think avoiding a big number is a much higher priority than trying to shoot a low one. It’s the #2 handicap hole on this nine.

Bill

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, billchao said:

Left is all lateral hazard, yea. Half the fairway slopes left towards it. You can kind of make out the mow line where the rough ends on the right and the fescue begins, which lines the entire hole. And now that the fescue is grown in, it’s just pure luck finding a ball in it. The hole plays narrower than it appears.

Gotcha, yeah it's hard to tell from single aerial pictures what the rough is like. From that picture everything on the right just looks like traditional rough, not necessarily fescue. But that makes sense now.

33 minutes ago, billchao said:

I don’t mind hitting 7 iron or something into this green. It’s fairly large with a wide collection area short. And I’m apparently much better out of a fairway bunker than I give myself credit for. I think avoiding a big number is a much higher priority than trying to shoot a low one. It’s the #2 handicap hole on this nine.

Dude, if you don't pull driver on every non-par-3, you are going to lose your ass clown status. 

01675ba9-2d2a-4e7f-99f2-c4fd9bd61a09_text.gif.f29857067a9a4fa46a54c73b513fe456.gif

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

1 minute ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Dude, if you don't pull driver on every non-par-3, you are going to lose your ass clown status. 

01675ba9-2d2a-4e7f-99f2-c4fd9bd61a09_text.gif.f29857067a9a4fa46a54c73b513fe456.gif

Ass clown status? I have a lifetime exemption.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

On 6/11/2024 at 5:56 AM, Zeph said:

This is a 203 yard par 5…, but the direct line is covered by tall trees. I pulled the tee shot left, giving me only a narrow gap to advance the ball down to the next segment of the hole. Was left with 170 yards, sidehill and uphill in some first-cut-ish rough to an elevated green. Tried to line up to the right of the green with a choked up 4i. It was good all the way and landed on the middle of the green. Hit the first putt 10 feet past and made the return.

IMG_2194.jpeg

Wow. Where is this course (in Norway, I presume)? Seems like fun.. no pun intended.

Vishal S.

7 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Wow. Where is this course (in Norway, I presume)? Seems like fun.. no pun intended.

Yeah, it’s the local course where I live. Closest next one is over an hour drive away. Longest club I bring is a 4i, so not a long one, but tricky to get around. Small landing spots, elevation changes, small greens.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1