IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

I’ve gotta mention this, also from my first round on Saturday.

The 13th hole was a shortish par 4 that played longer because it went steadily uphill for the entire hole. The green, which is wider than it is deep, sloped very heavily back to front. Neither me nor my dad were doing very well, and we both had about 15-footers for par. Mine was an awkward sidehiller, with probably four feet of break. My dad’s putt was slightly shorter, but he was at the back (top?) of the green, directly above the hole. If he missed it, double bogey was almost a guarantee.

You can probably guess what happened. Traveling fast, his ball rammed into the flag and dropped neatly into the hole for his par save. I then two-putted for a bogey, no small achievement from where I was!

This was after he hit into the trees on the twelfth hole, hit a solid punch out near the 100-yard marker, and got up and down for par. So on a stretch where he could’ve easily gone double-double, he went par-par. I’ve actually got one more, this from my afternoon round.

This was on my 28th hole of the day (hole 10). Two solid shots on the par-5 left me in prime position, with 50 yards to go, and I had my trusty 54 degree wedge in my hand, which is quickly becoming my favorite club. My brother, who I mention on this forum a lot, loves seeing me use this club around the greens. The reason? I almost always stick it within ten feet, not uncommonly within five. 

This shot was no exception. With that loyal wedge in my hands, I started it about fifteen feet left of the flag, but due to the contours of this green, it trickled right to within a yard of the pin. I went up and dropped the putt for a birdie four. I love that club.

• Like 1

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Best shot of the week.  Easy choice as I have been on quarantine I have not been able to golf.  I got to the range last night and my very first shot was with my PW, as i like to warm up with that club.  

I lay out my alignment sticks, set my ball ever so perfectly, line up the shot like it's  a wedge into the green at 18 on Sunday at Winged Foot.  Get up and down to secure the 2020 US Open Victory.  All set with with that UK dude announcing. 

I swing and hit the most perfect PW shot!!! It went no higher then 3' in the air and stuck it right at the 150 yard sign.  Amazing shot that left me with the tap in Victory.

I really enjoyed hitting that wedge and it literally did what I stated. 

After that it was all down hill as I hit a large bucket pretty much the way you should.  

Oh how I enjoyed that PW shot

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

My best shot this week has to be the knockdown 8I I nearly holed on Saturday. Par 5, third shot. I had about 125 to the pin, which would normally be choking down slightly on a 9I for me, but there was a pretty strong headwind, so I figured a 9I would balloon up in the air and fall way short.

So I choked down on the 8I. If my normal, fast and hard swing is 100%, I swung at about 75%. I hit it perfectly, and the ball took off at exactly the trajectory I imagined it would, right at the pin. It pitched down about five feet short, bit hard and stopped six inches past the hole. Thing is, I’ve never practiced that shot, so I’m thrilled about it.

Another contender for best shot of the week was on the 17th hole on Wednesday. I bombed one over the fairway bunkers, which require a 230-yard carry to clear, and I cleared them by probably ten yards. That’s one of my best drives.

WITB:

Thursday league...

Par 4 over water...230 carry or so, pin at 250. I normally hit an 8 iron to the right, but decided to YOLO a drive at the green pin high about 30' right. 2 putt birdie. 

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

2 minutes ago, Slice of Life said:

Thursday league...

Par 4 over water...230 carry or so, pin at 250. I normally hit an 8 iron to the right, but decided to YOLO a drive at the green pin high about 30' right. 2 putt birdie. 

Sounds like a well designed "Risk/Reward" hole.  Congratulations.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Not a particularly good selection of shots this past week.  My pick is the approach shot on #17 at Polo Fields.  I had hit a decent drive into the fairway and had about 140 yards to the middle tier of a three tier green.  I knew the slope to the 3rd tier would tend to serve as a backstop so I fired right at the flag.  The ball hit just short of pin high and released.  It rolled part way up the slope and then came back (gravity, not spin).  When I arrived, it was about 8 feet from the hole.

p.s. I proceeded to 3-putt the #!@$! hole.  :facepalm

Brian Kuehn

11th hole on Southern Pines on Saturday. Short dogleg right. Only 270 yards but I'm not a big hitter so I decided not to try to carry the bunker up the right side and play it straight up the fairway. I ended up pushing it right a bit but made excellent contact and really got into it. As it was flying towards the trap I worried it would come up short but somehow it managed to carry it and roll out to about 20 yards from the green. I left myself a 5 footer for birdie but missed the putt. It was by far the best drive I've hit in a while even if it was technically a miss. 

Yesterday, 6 iron over a tree to the green’s edge. I pushed my tee shot right. Lie wasn’t too bad.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

My best shot this week is probably my tee shot on the seventh hole on Sunday. It was playing about 130 yards with no wind. I took a PW and sent it right at the flag, where it pitched down seven feet away. Definitely one of my better shots on that hole.

WITB:

My two companions were taking a bathroom break so I played ready golf and teed off.  Everything worked perfectly for this short hitter.  Dead center of the sweet spot. The slight fade fit the slight dogleg right perfectly, the bounce and roll looked especially long.  Then my buddies arrived.  Jim is a strong player and easily out hits me by 20-40 yards.  I told him there was no way he could even think he would out drive me on this hole.  I said my drive was so pure and long that even Bryson would be impressed.

Well, Jim tried to look uninterested but I sensed he really wanted to shut me up.  He went through his usual routine but were his arms just a bit tense in preparation for a mighty swing??

He made a hard swing and hooked the ball into the adjacent fairway.  I love it when occasionally I can get into someone's head.  Jim had the last laugh, beating me by 3 strokes but for one shot I was a "winner".

Brian Kuehn

Happened just last night. On a dogleg right, have to get past trees on inside corner at 210 to have clear shot in, but you can drive through the fairway, especially since conditions have been dry and hard. Or you can take a chance on cutting corner but getting caught in clumps of ornamental grasses. Having a particularly unimpressive night, so had nothing to lose by cutting the corner. Hit best drive of the night, snuck through the grasses, ending up 30 yds. from front of green.

It is a frontish pin on a green sloped severely back to front, with a plateau on back quarter, bunker in front. Hit a little G wedge pitch past the pin, up the slope, spent 5 seconds or more sniffing the edge of the plateau, then trickled back down slope to a foot below the pin. Tap in birdie...and that's what keeps you coming back.

Hole 3 Edgewater in Lancaster SC. Shortish par 4. Bad drive and have to chip out of trouble to set up approach. Push the approach right into a trap. Not much green to work with since pin is on the right side. Grab my 60 degree wedge and one bounce it into the cup ( Thanks Covid practice challenge)

Honorable mention. 11th hole same course. 180 yard par 3. Exactly the right number for my 4i. Launch it just left of the flag and see it land just short of the fence that borders the road and bounces over it. I was stunned since it is 200 yards to the fence. OB and made double but I cannot believe I hit that club so far. I guess it’s in there if ever I get my new swing down pat. 

(edited)

Annual Neighborhood Captains Choice tournament today. 

Hole: 175yd Par 3 with Left to right wind. Hit it to 1ft earning me Closest to the Pin Award

Edited by woodzie264

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Chipped in for birdie on number 7 at Bent Tree Golf Course. Nobody else in my group made better than a double bogey so I also gained at least 3 strokes on the field. 

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I won't be playing this weekend so I may as well start the selection process early.  And the winner is ...

Thursday found Marty and me at Hudson Mills.  Neither of us had played particularly well and the "Birdie Club" had no members.  I hit a good drive up the left side but my approach to the par 4 17th was a bit strong and I was 45-50 feet past the hole, putting down a very steep slope.  Marty was giving me a hard time about how many putts I was going to take on the recently aerated green.  Yes, you guessed it. I coaxed the ball into motion and stood back to watch it slowly trundle down the slope, working to the right and the hole ... Birdie!!

My one regret is that I had only the time it took to play the 18th hole to give a load of crap to Marty.  😁

Brian Kuehn

• 2 weeks later...

Par 4 in league Thursday night...push my drive just into the rough on the right. 140 yards out, and I hit a perfect 9 iron that hits off the flagstick and rolls to 7-8'. Sink the birdie putt!

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

• 2 weeks later...

Played away from my home course today. One of the best ball striking rounds I've ever had. Peak was at hole #13. Hit two great shots. The second, a pitch from about 55 yards landed just short of the green, kicked off a downslope over a greenside bunker, and rolled along the contour of the green to about 1 inch from the hole. So close to eagle...tap in birdie.

2118547108_Besthole2020-10-25.png.3807c180cfb6c4a4df4a322a01270867.png

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1