IGNORED

Player Drops Club on Bag - Lack of Respect to Caddie?

PabloMoorzio
Note: This thread is 2646 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is one of those things that makes me dislike the teamwork attitude with pro golf more, it should be strictly a looper thing, not a team, the caddie should be there to carry the bag and give yardages, that's it, and if the player gets upset and flings his club at the bag he's not upset at the caddie or "belittling" him/her, or disrespecting him, he's pissed off at himself and wants to let it off a bit, any good caddie would understand that and be sympathetic towards the guy trying to earn them a paycheck.

Edited by MrDC

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, I see no issue or disrespect when I've actually seen it.  Just a couple guys doing their different jobs.

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
1 hour ago, PabloMoorzio said:

Seems a bit of a daft/childish response to be honest

It's not.

If a caddie is so offended by having to pick up a club that a player has laid across the bag while he's fetching a divot, there are far more "offensive" things that he'll have to do as a caddie:

• carry the clubs
  • clean the clubs
  • clean the ball
  • pace off yardages
  • fetch a player food or drinks
  • tee up balls for the player (on the range sometimes)
  • rake bunkers
  • replace divots
  • get balls for the player (range)
  • etc.

The list goes on. Picking up a club a player has laid across the bag, if THAT offends, well then the guy's just not cut out to be a caddie, because he's going to be offended all day. Picking up that club is one of the least demeaning things he'll do.

Seems a bit of a daft/childish response to be honest, but anyway, what was a light hearted view/opinion/query on the actions of some players on tour appears to have raised the hackles of some of the more sensitive (although that would be me based on this thread??) of the community so I'll bow out of this particular kerfuffle and bid everyone a beautiful day.

No hackles raised here.

I just don't think it's at all demeaning or offensive, and don't think caddies do, either.

Those who do aren't long for the caddying life.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

as I've said a couple of times, not gonna change my way of life one way or the other, different strokes for different folks, I simply view this type of situation ever so slightly differently, if the caddie is replacing your divot, to save precious time as you've already pointed out, why wouldn't the player when walking past the bag simply place it in leaving raised instead of just chucking on floor and marching off. 

I reiterate, in all honesty couldn't give a shiney shite, was more for conversational purposes :-D

Seems a bit of a daft/childish response to be honest, but anyway, what was a light hearted view/opinion/query on the actions of some players on tour appears to have raised the hackles of some of the more sensitive (although that would be me based on this thread??) of the community so I'll bow out of this particular kerfuffle and bid everyone a beautiful day.

:-)

I think you might be reading into or assuming what other people are feeling. We discuss things here, because it's a discussion forum. If my hackles were raised, I would have said something bad about your momma. ;-) All I am saying is that is one of the many things that a caddy gets paid to do. I don't always like things I have to do at work, but it's my job. 

• Upvote 1

- Shane

4 minutes ago, PabloMoorzio said:

as I've said a couple of times, not gonna change my way of life one way or the other, different strokes for different folks, I simply view this type of situation ever so slightly differently, if the caddie is replacing your divot, to save precious time as you've already pointed out, why wouldn't the player when walking past the bag simply place it in leaving raised instead of just chucking on floor and marching off. 

I reiterate, in all honesty couldn't give a shiney shite, was more for conversational purposes :-D

Sure, I see your points, but that's likely a good reason you would not personally become a caddy.

The two of them are out there to win, the more the player wins the more the caddy makes. If the player needs a tiny way to get his frustrations out by doing something innocuous like this to allow him to focus, it helps them both.

As mentioned before, if the player "vents" a little bit by slamming his club into the bag it's probably better than a "Bubba" rant :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

This thread reminds me of a friend of mine. The guy, and his wife have a butler. Although a long time friend, my friend can be a butt hole most of the time. Their butler accepts this with out question. He's been their butler for over 30  years that I know of. 

Their butler is there as their employee. They are his employer. Their butler basically takes care them. He cooks, cleans, runs errands, and anything else they ask him to do. Good or bad, anytime he's needed. 

I don't see much of a difference between a butler, or a caddy. They both provide a service for pay. They both know what their job discription is. Heck, I suppose a "nurse maid" could be the same thing. Care Giver?

A caddy is there to provide what ever service is required for his/her pro. Respect, or disrespect, they can change employers anytime they want. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• Administrator
2 hours ago, PabloMoorzio said:

Because the bag is usually lying on the ground, and the caddie has to clean it.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

JEEEEEZUSSSS! Some people are so damn "touchy" these days! Is it any wonder that the world is in the state that it is?

Let's remember that caddies are being paid for their services. As someone mentioned before, some of them quite handsomely. Steve Williams bought a huge ranch in New Zealand with the money that Tiger paid him. And now he's on Adam Scott's bag!

And now you retreat to the position of "I wasn't really serious". A typical strategy. If you weren't, why did you bring it up in the first place!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

JEEEEEZUSSSS! Some people are so damn "touchy" these days! Is it any wonder that the world is in the state that it is?

Let's remember that caddies are being paid for their services. As someone mentioned before, some of them quite handsomely. Steve Williams bought a huge ranch in New Zealand with the money that Tiger paid him. And now he's on Adam Scott's bag!

And now you retreat to the position of "I wasn't really serious". A typical strategy. If you weren't, why did you bring it up in the first place!

A typical strategy of what exactly Bucky? Of posting on a forum on the internet, yep I'll say it isn't serious old bean. Jeeeeeeezzzuuuuuus. Some clowns ARE too serious. Get a grip sonshine, grab a can and chill out.

i truly am not arsed, only been interested proper in the game for a few month so hardly running around whipping up a posse and posting a petition against club throwing pros!!!!!

hahaaaaa. Peace bruvva, hope all turns out well for ya! :-)

Everyone chill please. My MOD warning finger is starting to get itchy.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Am I the only person that gets really effed off when I see tour pros just throw their club on deck for caddies to retrieve, and walk off towards hole after a shot, especially if they've just fluffed one?

I'm going to dive in here in defence of Pablo's original point- I think that there's a courtesy/respect issue there.

I've certainly seen (on TV) instances where a Pro drops the club to the floor and walks off when they're practically standing beside their caddy- and it has struck me as quite rude and disrespectful at times. I can understand when there's a fair few yards between them and the player drops the club in the caddy's path- they want to focus on the next shot etc. But sometimes, only occasionally- there's a fine line between asking what's expected of a caddy and being ignorant.

• Upvote 1

tour players can do wat they want with the caddies. but if it was me i'd jus put the club back in the bag and grab my putter my self. lot of them go and lay the club against the bag while the caddy fixes a bunker shot. not a big deal or disrespect. now if the player drop his club or ball and looks at the caddy to pick it up then yea lol. but laying a club down to grab his putter nah

WITB:
Taylormade M2 - 10.5º 
Taylormade M2 - 3w 15º
Callaway - Apex CF16 9i-3i
Vokey - 46º F Grind
Taylormade MG - 54º, 60º   
Scotty Cameron - Newport M1  - 4.5º
Taylormade - TP5X #7

11 minutes ago, cromulent said:

I'm going to dive in here in defence of Pablo's original point- I think that there's a courtesy/respect issue there.

I've certainly seen (on TV) instances where a Pro drops the club to the floor and walks off when they're practically standing beside their caddy- and it has struck me as quite rude and disrespectful at times. I can understand when there's a fair few yards between them and the player drops the club in the caddy's path- they want to focus on the next shot etc. But sometimes, only occasionally- there's a fine line between asking what's expected of a caddy and being ignorant.

Not another flippin pinko/SJW?????? Burn 'em all!!!!

:whistle:

;-)

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, PabloMoorzio said:

Not another flippin pinko/SJW?????? Burn 'em all!!!!

:whistle:

;-)

You're the only one doing any inciting.

Nobody's even come close to calling you names or anything. So cool it, eh?

Just now, iacas said:

You're the only one doing any inciting.

Nobody's even come close to calling you names or anything. So cool it, eh?

Pretty sure I was called a SJW fella but anyway, all the way through I've said not really bothered and have been what I'd class as polite and jovial. I'm Mr Cucumber old chap, cool as f**k.

Cheers 

Not another flippin pinko/SJW??????

It's true... I've even been known to sneak into exclusive golf courses before dawn to teach illiterate immigrant groundstaff how to read ;-)

Note: This thread is 2646 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!