IGNORED

Player Drops Club on Bag - Lack of Respect to Caddie?

PabloMoorzio
Note: This thread is 2635 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Am I the only person that gets really effed off when I see tour pros just throw their club on deck for caddies to retrieve, and walk off towards hole after a shot, especially if they've just fluffed one?

As I see things, the caddies often provide really valuable input for the pros and I see that type of behaviour as belittling maybe, sort of master/servant role, anyone else feel their nerves got on by this sort of action or am I some sort of Social Justice Warrior? ????

• Upvote 1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caddies have one of the best jobs in the world. Especially those who have a consistent money winner. If they hitch a ride with a temper tantum waiting to happen, it's their choice to stay or leave. 

When their man throws a club, or gets agitated in some way, I'd think most Caddies could care less. They are a sometimes sounding board, and it could be looked at as part of their job discription.  

I actually think when the pro gets angry, they make themselves look bad. Then again, some pros might play better when they are in a foul mood. 

The only downside to being a caddy that I heard about, is when the caddy has to hang out on the practice range for hours, while ther guy tries to work out a swing glitch. 

Caddies don't seem to mind when their guy throws his putter in the air after sinking the winning putt on sunday. 

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Dropping the club on the bag if the caddie is doing something else is OK with me. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Players do get fined for cursing out loud, except on #13 tee at Augusta since nobody gets to go back there.  I assume if they actually chucked a club, like Rory did into a lake, they may get fined but not sure on that one.  A simple toss of the club to the bag is no big deal.  When you're on the biggest stage, everyone wants to win.  Players get frustrated when they suck on a shot or two and caddies definitely know and understand that.  If anything the caddy is thinking about why their player hit a stupid shot.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

7 hours ago, PabloMoorzio said:

Am I the only person that gets really effed off when I see tour pros just throw their club on deck for caddies to retrieve, and walk off towards hole after a shot, especially if they've just fluffed one?

As I see things, the caddies often provide really valuable input for the pros and I see that type of behaviour as belittling maybe, sort of master/servant role, anyone else feel their nerves got on by this sort of action or am I some sort of Social Justice Warrior? ????

It's the caddie's job to clean the club before putting it back in the bag.  What would you have them do if the caddie is otherwise occupied?

I can't think of more than a small handful of times that I've seen any kind of behavior that I thought was directed at the caddie himself.  

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• iacas changed the title to Player Drops Club on Bag - Lack of Respect to Caddie?
  • Administrator

I don't care. It's better to drop it on the bag than away from the bag…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

...Where else would they put it?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

2 hours ago, David in FL said:

It's the caddie's job to clean the club before putting it back in the bag.  What would you have them do if the caddie is otherwise occupied?

Yeah, it's not like these guys are throwing the club at the bag while the caddy is holding it.  They're tossing it over there while its on the ground and the caddy is chasing down the divot.

Never bothered me in the least.

These guys work with their caddies on a daily basis. If the caddies had a problem with their player's actions, they'd say something.

I don't see any issue with this at all.

- John

All the times I've seen that happen were when caddy was off doing something else while the player wants to put the club away and walk to the next tee. 

I don't see how that is disrespectful. 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

13 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Dropping the club on the bag if the caddie is doing something else is OK with me. 

Dropping the club on the bag, and throwing it are entirely different things.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

Dropping the club on the bag, and throwing it are entirely different things.

If the bag is 10 yards away… how? Why can't a guy toss it to the bag?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

34 minutes ago, iacas said:

If the bag is 10 yards away… how? Why can't a guy toss it to the bag?

Let me clarify. Dropping it on the bag, or throwing it in anger are different things.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I guess it is just mard arse me then :D

Sometimes just smacks of master\servant to my eyes, but as I say, perhaps I'm just a soft old lad, personally, i'd hang on to the stick and hand it to my pal when he catches up after "chasing down divot".... i don't think holding a stick for an extra 15 seconds is that much of a hardship for an athlete.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, PabloMoorzio said:

I guess it is just mard arse me then :D

Sometimes just smacks of master\servant to my eyes, but as I say, perhaps I'm just a soft old lad, personally, i'd hang on to the stick and hand it to my pal when he catches up after "chasing down divot".... i don't think holding a stick for an extra 15 seconds is that much of a hardship for an athlete.

It's not really a great "hardship" but why should the player have to stand there and wait when he might want to walk up to the green, or go chat with his fellow player, or maybe he just hit a bad shot and doesn't want that club in his hands a second longer?

Pace of play is already as slow as it is, and… the player/caddie relationship IS a sort of master/servant. The caddie is there to "assist" the player. It's in the definitions of the Rules of Golf.

(edited)

I'll carry on griping inside when I witness these beautiful moments of respect for colleagues.

Still don't think I'd be comfortable just chucking stuff down for colleague to have to bend down and pick up when I could just hand it to them but...... as I said, perhaps I'm just soft.

*edit also, seeing as the looper is trapsing around with 13 other clubs and the rest of the gear, I'm certain carrying one stick until the caddie caught up wouldn't be end of the world, even I can walk with a club in my hand and I'm an out of shape flump in North Manchester, not an athlete in Dubai or Phoenix. This would presumably increase the pace of play as caddie wouldn't have to bend down to retrieve the club for cleaning, could get straight on with that task and pop bag in the bag? 3 seconds X 72 holes, 3 and a half minutes each player. 

Massive savings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by PabloMoorzio

Note: This thread is 2635 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!