IGNORED

Lexi Thompson's 4 Stroke Penalty at the ANA

dennyjones
Note: This thread is 2136 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

18 minutes ago, RH31 said:

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/ra-usga-make-rules-announcement-tuesday/

quoted from the article; "Leaders from the USGA, R&A, PGA of America, PGA Tour, LPGA and European Tour met in a closed-door meeting at the Masters to discuss the incident and how to prevent future issues."

They probably all just got together and said players should just follow the rules better...;-) 

I sincerely hope so.  I'm afraid they'll feel obligated to do something else though...

...God, I hope not.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

58 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I sincerely hope so.  I'm afraid they'll feel obligated to do something else though...

...God, I hope not.

Audio broadcast only?
Spectators not allowed to spectate?

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

8 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

Spectators not allowed to spectate?

How about on the course?  Would the input of a spectator on the course be accepted, while one observing on tv not?  In fact, the tv spectator's information would be easily verified, while that of someone at the course, even that of a FC might not.

This could get ugly...

In David's bag....

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, David in FL said:

How about on the course?  Would the input of a spectator on the course be accepted, while one observing on tv not?  In fact, the tv spectator's information would be easily verified, while that of someone at the course, even that of a FC might not.

This could get ugly...

Announcers are spectators, too, and seeing things happen on TV (except the on-course guys walking with the groups).

We'll have a new topic here soon.

Name subject to change… ;-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

"The Lexi Thompson Rule"

I'm not sure you want to remembered for this Lexi, you did after all break the rules and didn't police yourself like you should have, there may be support for you out there but there is also plenty of criticism.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, MrDC said:

I'm not sure you want to remembered for this Lexi, you did after all break the rules and didn't police yourself like you should have, there may be support for you out there but there is also plenty of criticism.

Those criticizing seem to be in a very small minority.

Unfortunately.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

if i felt like she INADVERTENTLY botched marking her ball, i would feel much differently, and i would NOT call her a cheater. however, this is not what i saw on that replay. she did it on purpose.

also, has anyone else notice (maybe its just a confirmation bias) that it seems like the TV coverage is cutting away from players just as they mark their balls?

Colin P.

33 minutes ago, colin007 said:

if i felt like she INADVERTENTLY botched marking her ball, i would feel much differently, and i would NOT call her a cheater. however, this is not what i saw on that replay. she did it on purpose.

great thing about the rules, it doesn't matter if you get to call her a name or not.  the ACTION showed it was placed in a different spot so the 2 strokes were appropriate.  the discussion of intent is moot and a pointless distraction.  Much like the discussions of 'advantage' gained or not.

• Upvote 1

Bill - 

On 4/17/2017 at 9:57 AM, iacas said:

I don't agree at all with limiting who can call in.

Despite 30 years plus of this happening no steps have ever been taken to limit who can call in or email in.

As it should be.

So, a person gambling and had money on the line should be able to go through every piece of footage to help them win a bet if they find an infraction?  What you are saying is absurd.

The statement accompanying the vote gets back to something I mentioned. The leaders are subject to different scrutiny than those further down the leaderboard the way things could be enforced before this change. Honestly...I'm on the fence. She, at best, did a piss-poor job of placing her ball...

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

• Administrator
3 hours ago, hcopenhagenh said:

So, a person gambling and had money on the line should be able to go through every piece of footage to help them win a bet if they find an infraction?

Sure. If the player didn't breach the rules, they've got nothing to worry about.

3 hours ago, hcopenhagenh said:

What you are saying is absurd.

Nope.

2 hours ago, HitAndGiggle said:

The leaders are subject to different scrutiny than those further down the leaderboard the way things could be enforced before this change.

So what? They also have bigger crowds, different weather, and all sorts of other different things.

People need to stop clamoring to change the rules when this sort of thing doesn't happen very often, but the ramifications of the change will be much farther reaching than just "fixing" this one little thing (which, IMO, doesn't need "fixed" at all).

4 hours ago, hcopenhagenh said:

So, a person gambling and had money on the line should be able to go through every piece of footage to help them win a bet if they find an infraction?  What you are saying is absurd.

Huh?

In what world is someone getting caught breaking the rules a bad thing?

Dont violate the rules.  If you do so inadvertently, acknowledge it and accept the appropriate penalty, and you'll never have to worry about getting caught.

In David's bag....

25 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Huh?

Dont violate the rules.  If you do so inadvertently, acknowledge it and accept the appropriate penalty, and you'll never have to worry about getting caught.

And in what world are all these infractions occurring where you could place a bet, watch tv closely, and get the outcome you want by just calling in the infractions that favor your bet? 

Maybe there are more rules infractions than I thought!  In that case, the sport is in bigger trouble than modifying this rule could ever save us from. 

• Upvote 2

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

I don't think betting has one ounce of influence on anything about this ruling, or the call-ins, it's irrelevant, people are just making stuff up to support their misguided opinion.

But I am getting a kick out of all the uproar over this, and the fact that they will probably never stop the call ins, because they have no reason to.

People really thought they would stop them after this, not I.

Edited by MrDC

14 hours ago, iacas said:

Sure. If the player didn't breach the rules, they've got nothing to worry about.

Nope.

So what? They also have bigger crowds, different weather, and all sorts of other different things.

People need to stop clamoring to change the rules when this sort of thing doesn't happen very often, but the ramifications of the change will be much farther reaching than just "fixing" this one little thing (which, IMO, doesn't need "fixed" at all).

Fortunately, you are in the minority.  

The rules were not written with TV viewers or TV Video replay being taken into account in their minds.

You are way off base.

13 hours ago, David in FL said:

Huh?

What rules did Lexi break to the naked eye?  None.  Rules weren't written with intent of someone calling in with a blown up picture.

NFL, NBA, NHL, do not allow people to call in.  Why should golf?  

I think I am just going to self ban myself from this site.  Too many whack jobs around here including the person running the site.  No common sense at all.  You guys live in an alternate universe.

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, hcopenhagenh said:

Fortunately, you are in the minority.

Fortunately, the Rules of Golf aren't decided by popular vote.

The rules were not written with TV viewers or TV Video replay being taken into account in their minds.

Rules officials seek out the best information available. People have been calling in since 1957 with Bobby Locke.

You are way off base.

Yeah, I see that now that you've made such a compelling case…</sarcasm> At least you spared us your petty insults this time…

What rules did Lexi break to the naked eye?  None.  Rules weren't written with intent of someone calling in with a blown up picture.

You're wrong.

She replaced her ball incorrectly, and her poor replacement was clearly visible to the naked eye.

:sigh:

I think I am just going to self ban myself from this site.  Too many whack jobs around here including the person running the site.  No common sense at all.  You guys live in an alternate universe.

Addition via subtraction.

1 hour ago, hcopenhagenh said:

In those sports, the competitors are actively trying to get away with (break the rules) as much as they can.  In golf, the player bears the responsibility to call their own infractions.  You can't make an equal comparison between those sports and golf.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Perhaps we can commemorate this day in golf history with a title. We could call it "The Great Knuckling Under"!

I'll admit, I was on the other side until I saw the replay. There is no doubt Lexi violated the rule. I still have a little bit of a problem with "HD" rules enforcement, but if it happened, it happened. It's not CGI!

Note: This thread is 2136 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!