IGNORED

dress code

kiwi g
Note: This thread is 2485 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

do you think golf needs to relax its dress code  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think golf needs to relax its dress code?

• yes
    • no

40 minutes ago, dnaygs said:

I would not golf with a child and a man wearing that, however, I'm totally fine with him wearing it if that's what he wants to wear.  I will just golf with someone else.  

Stop respecting other people's decisions as well as their ability to make mature decisions without your oversight.

It's making me uncomfortable

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, dnaygs said:

Yes, totally OK.  I am actually having my wedding soon and I really truly don't care if people show up in bathing suits, pajamas, or whatever they want, as long as they're not naked, which is illegal anyway.  

If someone is ok wearing something so extreme to my wedding that it would make me uncomfortable, then I probably wouldn't want to be friends with that person or invite them to my wedding.

Funny, I don't care if people show up to mine at all.  I'm actually happy when I get RSVPs that decline... one (or more) fewer people I'll have to talk to.

But if they show up, they had better make a goddamn effort to dress themselves like a f***ing adult.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

The dress code is already so lenient I can't believe anyone could have a problem with it.  A collared polo, not really any different than a tee shirt when in comes of function and comfort.  You can already wear short pants on most courses.  The dress code is really no big deal already.  If someone can't comply to such a simple and almost nonexistent dress code, then don't play golf if it's that big of deal to you.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, dnaygs said:

Yes, totally OK.  I am actually having my wedding soon and I really truly don't care if people show up in bathing suits, pajamas, or whatever they want, as long as they're not naked, which is illegal anyway.

Why is being naked illegal? Because as a society we've deemed it appropriate to wear clothing

So… same reason why wearing certain kinds of outfits or clothing is not "illegal" but "frowned upon" or "forbidden on private property."

Businesses that say "no shirt, no shoes, no service" are setting a dress code.

I support courses with reasonable dress codes. What you wear does affect how you and others feel about the place, how you and others behave, how you and others treat each other, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

19 hours ago, Aguirre said:

Like bermuda shorts are somehow more formal. There's no such thing as a formal pair of SHORTS.

Bermuda shorts are formal and quite appropriate in...where else.... Bermuda.  A pair of proper shorts, shirt and tie and sport coat, and of course color-coordinated long socks is common business attire there.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

2 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

The dress code is already so lenient I can't believe anyone could have a problem with it.  A collared polo, not really any different than a tee shirt when in comes of function and comfort.  You can already wear short pants on most courses.  The dress code is really no big deal already.  If someone can't comply to such a simple and almost nonexistent dress code, then don't play golf if it's that big of deal to you.

I don't disagree with your view, I'm fine with a collared polo. But if you read some posts on this thread and others, there are those who insist on no cargo shorts of any kind, shorts with a belt and shirt tucked in. Those stipulations seem unnecessary to me - like folks going out of their way to find something to be indignant about, life's too short IMO. That kind of seemingly arbitrary requirement keeps away newcomers, at a time golf can ill afford to do so.

I am complying locally with all of it, dress shorts, polo tucked in, belt, etc. because I'm new to the league, just to fit in with as many players as possible. Even though some are (way) more lax. I could care less what others wear, but it's a really big deal (to some old timers) - a throwback to the "elite" which is largely a joke these days.

And those who say it's a matter of respect for the game, that doesn't even make sense to me. You respect others, have self-respect, but to the game?YMMV

Edited by Midpack

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Midpack said:

I don't disagree with your view, I'm fine with a collared polo. But if you read some posts on this thread and others, there are those who insist on no cargo shorts of any kind, shorts with a belt and shirt tucked in. Those stipulations seem unnecessary to me - like folks going out of their way to find something to be indignant about, life's too short IMO.

That's what makes the world go 'round. If you were invited to play at Augusta National and they have a dress code, you'd get to make the choice whether you wanted to comply or not.

People who choose to be offended by the dress codes of other places are more "silly" IMO as those who create the dress codes to begin with. The owner of a business makes a decision, but you have the choice to comply or not. You have the choice to be offended or not.

I am complying locally with all of it, dress shorts, polo tucked in, belt, etc. because I'm new to the league, just to fit in with as many players as possible. Even though some are (way) more lax. I could care less what others wear, but it's a really big deal (to some old timers) - a throwback to the "elite" which is largely a joke these days.

It's not a throwback to the "elite." You can buy a decent pair of shorts or pants and a polo shirt for $20 if you want.

Sorry, but again, if a business owner feels it's in his interests to keep people who would wear jean cutoff shorts and wife beaters off his course, he's welcome to do so, and it may in fact be the best decision for him.

Dress codes (and following them) are kinda like manners.

Maybe you don't care if someone belches in your presence, and there are plenty of times (like with your family) where we probably all belch or burp, but sometimes to many people it's simply inappropriate to belch in a fancy restaurant, at a business meeting, etc.

And at some business meetings, a belch might be okay, but generally speaking, it's frowned upon, and is "bad manners."

Just as showing up to a wedding in a Speedo would be. Unless it's a water polo wedding, but you know what I mean. You're welcome to not take offense to the things others do, but they're not "wrong" to have certain expectations of you. Your value system and judgments are not theirs.

And those who say it's a matter of respect for the game, that doesn't even make sense to me. You respect others, have self-respect, but to the game?YMMV

It's about respecting others.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

That's what makes the world go 'round. If you were invited to play at Augusta National and they have a dress code, you'd get to make the choice whether you wanted to comply or not.

People who choose to be offended by the dress codes of other places are more "silly" IMO as those who create the dress codes to begin with. The owner of a business makes a decision, but you have the choice to comply or not. You have the choice to be offended or not.

It's not a throwback to the "elite." You can buy a decent pair of shorts or pants and a polo shirt for $20 if you want.

Sorry, but again, if a business owner feels it's in his interests to keep people who would wear jean cutoff shorts and wife beaters off his course, he's welcome to do so, and it may in fact be the best decision for him.

Dress codes (and following them) are kinda like manners.

Maybe you don't care if someone belches in your presence, and there are plenty of times (like with your family) where we probably all belch or burp, but sometimes to many people it's simply inappropriate to belch in a fancy restaurant, at a business meeting, etc.

And at some business meetings, a belch might be okay, but generally speaking, it's frowned upon, and is "bad manners."

Just as showing up to a wedding in a Speedo would be. Unless it's a water polo wedding, but you know what I mean.

A little too much proof by exception maybe? A Speedo at a wedding isn't a realistic example. I never suggested there should be no standards/decorum. And Augusta is the pinnacle of the game, not an example of the mainstream and what's led to the continued decline of golf.

Reminds me of what's happened to yacht clubs. The premier yacht clubs (analogous to Augusta) are doing better financially, still have waiting lists and can afford to uphold "tradition." Well to do folks still join elite yacht clubs for business networking (like Augusta) - many own boats they never take out. Meanwhile the lesser yacht clubs that haven't folded, are hanging on by their fingernails financially, will take anyone as a member and can't afford to uphold tradition. Pre-Boomer and younger generations are staying away from boating and yacht club culture in droves. Folks at the bottom end can not afford to uphold silly traditions, though as you point out they can try since it's their business. Turning away players for cargo shorts, or not wearing belts in the face of decline seems counterproductive - win the battle, lose the war. But I suspect we'll politely disagree...

Edited by Midpack

Personally, I think the golf course has the right to tell you how to dress since  its "THEIR" golf course. If they want to lose buisness because of it then its their choice.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, Midpack said:

A Speedo at a wedding isn't a realistic example. I never suggested there should be no standards/decorum. And Augusta is the pinnacle of the game, not an example of the mainstream and what's led to the continued decline of golf.

Wow, so… quickly…

• I think the Speedo at the Wedding thing was from earlier in the discussion. Or something like it.
  • Right, where you place the "standards/decorum" is an individual thing. Some put it at different places than you.
  • What's it matter what the pinnacle of the game is? Does only one course get to have a dress code?
  • I don't think dress codes are contributing much at all the the "continued decline of golf." Furthermore, I don't think you've demonstrated that golf's decline has "continued." We had dress codes during the Arnie and Tiger booms, after all.

Golf clothes are not expensive. The PGA Airflux shirts can be had on sale for less than $18 and they're awesome. I think you can get them at inexpensive department stores like Kohl's. 

The real reason people hate the golf dress code is three consecutive generations of Americans were raised to be irreverent slobs who need a "good reason" to do anything, except there is really no good reason for a dress code, other than tradition, espirit de corp, aesthetics, and all other things which irreverent slobs who question everything abhor. (Unless it's esoteric, ironical, and directly offends the modesty of the elderly). 

14 hours ago, Kalnoky said:

Golf clothes are not expensive. The PGA Airflux shirts can be had on sale for less than $18 and they're awesome. I think you can get them at inexpensive department stores like Kohl's. 

The real reason people hate the golf dress code is three consecutive generations of Americans were raised to be irreverent slobs who need a "good reason" to do anything, except there is really no good reason for a dress code, other than tradition, espirit de corp, aesthetics, and all other things which irreverent slobs who question everything abhor. (Unless it's esoteric, ironical, and directly offends the modesty of the elderly). 

I just got two of these for $20 combined at Kohls with my 30% discount!!

14 hours ago, Kalnoky said:

But why does the "old" way have to be the "right" way?  In stead of terming them "irreverent slobs" how about terming them "casual dressers".  Sure there may be some whop are slobs, but I would venture that the majority dress in a casual AND clean manner.

Is it disrespectful to not tuck ones shirt in?  If so, why?

Image result for shirtless fat golfer

A shirt with a collar is appropriate.  

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

6 hours ago, BuckeyeNut said:

Read more  

We can't unsee that!:-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

7 hours ago, BuckeyeNut said:

Hey, he's just a casual dresser.

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Only issue I have with any kind of dress code is the collared shirt thing. I get what they're essentially going for, and that's no tee-shirts. Okay, noted. Don't wear a tee with "I'm with Stupid" on it or whatever.

But collarless shirts can be quite stylish -

http://res.gdol.com/ap/p.php?a=wi&p=18843

So here I am, Sunday morning & I'm about to go to the course to practice. And as I'm picking out what shirt to wear, I'm consciously thinking, 'Make sure it has a damn collar.'

• Upvote 1

One for the ladies.... I would like Golf clubs to relax skort length. My club in England don't have an official length but my skort length has come into question on many occasions. Not so much a club policy but more of opinions of the soured. I am 5'3 , 7.8stone. I am US size 2, which is UK size 6. Most Golf clothes start from size 8. So,  I am already wearing 2 sizes too big. My argument is.. Sell my size before you criticize.

I do prefer to wear my shirt tucked in as looks better on me. I don't mind if others dont.

As for jeans or denim material. I don't personally think it's a good option but each to their own and most Clubs in UK ban wearing on course but allow in clubhouse up to certain time or casual bar areas only. 

Note: This thread is 2485 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!