IGNORED

New Callaway Epic.....Irons!

Note: This thread is 2485 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Callaway Epic mentality, concept-car approach comes to new pair of irons and hybrid - Golf Digest

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/callaway-epic-mentality-concept-car-approach-comes-to-new-pair-of-irons-and-hybrid

epic-iron-2017.jpg

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

$2,000 for 3-pw.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

11 minutes ago, David in FL said:

$2,000 for 3-pw.

Lol! Yeah...pretty stout.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I think you can thank PXG for the ultra-high price sets that you see coming out.
Titleist has a C16 in limited production that "only" runs about $2,700 (steel) or $3,000 (graphite) sets 4-PW

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/titleist-c16-irons-concept-car-approach-getting-a-second-limited-edition-run-this-spring

Players play, tough players win!

Man, are those irons ugly.  I have the driver and think the woods and hybrids look good.  But no way would I get those irons, even if I could afford them.

• Upvote 1

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

I may be hijacking this into the overly expensive clubs thread - but there is an article in golfweek magazine online about TPI JPHarrington wedge fitting $2,000 for 3 wedges.

http://golfweek.com/2017/05/22/behind-the-scenes-at-a-2000-wedge-fitting/

Edited by Wally Fairway

Players play, tough players win!

I demo'd the driver.......I now have a new favorite driver (and the shaft that came with it - I don't know which made the difference, but that combo was FANTASTIC).

Now I just have to wait a couple years so I can buy it on clearance.  No way am I spending that much.

Bill - 

20 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

I may be hijacking this into the overly expensive clubs thread - but there is an article in golfweek magazine online about TPI JPHarrington wedge fitting $2,000 for 3 wedges.

http://golfweek.com/2017/05/22/behind-the-scenes-at-a-2000-wedge-fitting/

You have got to be kidding! Who are these guys even marketing to? I'd say probably less than 20% of avid golfers could afford this. 

this irons might be high dollars but they are stupid long. but if i'm going to get new irons i'd jus some MB. jus went from a MB to a players club and i do miss the MB feel and the performance a blade gives ya

WITB:
Taylormade M2 - 10.5º 
Taylormade M2 - 3w 15º
Callaway - Apex CF16 9i-3i
Vokey - 46º F Grind
Taylormade MG - 54º, 60º   
Scotty Cameron - Newport M1  - 4.5º
Taylormade - TP5X #7

I've seen the pix and read the hype. Is the Epic really anything more than the 2015 Big Bertha irons with fancier tail fins?

Pricewise, maybe the Epic will make the $1,200 Apex and BB irons seem like a good deal?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

On 5/25/2017 at 9:52 AM, EastTexasgolfer said:

You have got to be kidding! Who are these guys even marketing to? I'd say probably less than 20% of avid golfers could afford this. 

There are plenty of wealthy people who play golf. And, if they catch the eye of a Tour pro, the sky's the limit!

Just like Cadillac, Beamer, and Mercedes, don't bother marketing to the lower 80%. Yet, they still make plenty of money!

On 5/23/2017 at 7:32 AM, davechen said:

Man, are those irons ugly.  I have the driver and think the woods and hybrids look good.  But no way would I get those irons, even if I could afford them.

Agree, they are fugly

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Buckeyebowman said:

There are plenty of wealthy people who play golf. And, if they catch the eye of a Tour pro, the sky's the limit!

Just like Cadillac, Beamer, and Mercedes, don't bother marketing to the lower 80%. Yet, they still make plenty of money!

Quality over quantity! I understand the concept, but 2 grand for 3 wedges? There's no way they out perform vokey or any of your other major wedges enough to warrant those kind of prices! That's just my opinion. You're 100% correct there are people with money to blow who will buy them just to say they did. IMO it's all about the player. Spieth for example could take any wedge and most likely perform better than I ever will be able to. Which I'm sure you will agree to some extent. Just blows my mind at the cost! 

No doubt, East Texas! Remember the outdated term "status symbol"? The next iteration of that was "conspicuous consumption". With the language changing as rapidly as it does now, I have no idea what they would be called these days!

On 5/27/2017 at 11:19 PM, EastTexasgolfer said:

Quality over quantity! I understand the concept, but 2 grand for 3 wedges? There's no way they out perform vokey or any of your other major wedges enough to warrant those kind of prices!

I've seen people play very well with the old Adams Tom Watson three-pack wedges (G, S and L for $99 total).

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

On 5/29/2017 at 4:49 AM, WUTiger said:

I've seen people play very well with the old Adams Tom Watson three-pack wedges (G, S and L for $99 total).

Exactly my point. One of the guys I play regularly with doesn't own a single name brand club... (minus a 6 iron that's a old dci) still he is one of the best golfers I've ever seen swing a stick. Consistently mid 70s and it blows my mind that he does it with a bag full of garage sale clubs. When I seen that I myself realized that at times I chase that name! But still every new club I buy I expect it to automatically knock 15 strokes of my game. 

On 5/27/2017 at 11:10 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

You guys would be amazed.  My fitter that I am friends with tells me about guys going in and having to use 4-5 different credit cards to pay for a set of irons from him.

It's like Heroin for some.

Note: This thread is 2485 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!