IGNORED

Anonymous pro claims there's a known cheater on tour.

Vinsk
Note: This thread is 2013 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

Vijay is one of the more popular guys.

Not really. He's well known, having been good for so long, and one of the only other contenders during Tiger's domination. But Vijay isn't popular amongst other pros, especially the new crop of the last decade.

There is nothing to gain by smearing any of the old hats on tour, which is why nobody wants to put their name behind this one. But I'm fairly certain it is Vijay. Beside the cheating scandal when he was young, there are rumors he flicked off Augusta National as he left the property in 2000. For a man who has had so much success on tour, his reputation is murky at best.

• Administrator
37 minutes ago, Golffan89 said:

Not really. He's well known, having been good for so long, and one of the only other contenders during Tiger's domination. But Vijay isn't popular amongst other pros, especially the new crop of the last decade.

I guess someone should tell all of them. Because their behavior is quite the opposite. The guy can't hit three balls on the range without being interrupted by someone wanting to say hi and shoot the breeze with him.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Golffan89 said:

there are rumors he flicked off Augusta National as he left the property in 2000. For a man who has had so much success on tour, his reputation is murky at best.

Was he unhappy with the result of the 2000 tournament?

• Upvote 2

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

3 hours ago, Shindig said:

Was he unhappy with the result of the 2000 tournament?

Yea, it ain't Vijay. People like him, and he's far from a loner during practice rounds. 

There's quite of bit of speculation going around about who this article is about, and I really am speculating and have NO idea, but people keep throwing the name Billy Mayfair around. 

Read this tweet from March 2016, Mayfair's first PGA Tour start since the Anchor ban on Jan. 1st, 2016. It's by Mark Urbanek, who is James Hahn's caddy:

Now read the tweet replies at this link: 

https://twitter.com/UrbanekMark/status/713033924910432256/video/1

Colt Knost, Edward Loar, Chari Baryla, Kim Felton, and Brad Fritsch, all current and one-time journeymen tour pros, reply to him. Kevin Baile replies too (Jason Dufner's caddy), as does John Beliakoff, a trainer for several big name tour pros. Steve Underwood replies, and he used to caddy for Snedeker. Noah Zelnik replies (Michael Bradley's former caddy). John Rathouz replies (Seamus Power's caddy). Tim Pressman replies (former Johnson Wagner caddy, now retired, and has caddied for several other pros over the years). 

We have a thread on the controversy with Mayfair that this tweet refers to here:

So who knows if it's Mayfair or not, but it seems like most of the evidence points to him as of this post. 

• Upvote 4

Constantine

I think you're probably right, @JetFan1983. That's not a sexy name like Keegan, though. Which is a good thing, but I'm honestly a bit disappointed it's a minor-ish pro.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

But the article states a recent PGA tour, not Champions Tour...and when did Billy place high and gain FedEx points?

Ill admit I'm surprised about the comments on Vijay being 'popular'. In regards to his work ethic I've heard him being one of the hardest working golfers out there. But an article from 2013...in May I believe stated the exact opposite of him being 'popular' on tour. When he continued to push on the whole deer antler powder subject, after being called on no wrong doing, he pushed the 'it's not fair you even called me out on it and not others' thing ...his popularity took a beating. I've not seen Vijay being swamped with people as Iacas mentioned so maybe that all has changed. I do know he was rather unpopular for saying 'I hope Annika misses the cut, she doesn't bling out here." But that was some time ago. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

8 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Well even Phil said in a press conference "there are some guys who are pretty loose with marking their balls." That tells you right there there's some questionable stuff going on and people know about it. 

Yep.

Nicklaus mentioned a player in a Presidents Cup was doing something wrong. He said they spoke to the guy and he stopped doing whatever it was.

He never said who it was or what he was doing.

Someone said Brendan de Jonge on a different site. I don't know anything about this guy though.

Edited by Valleygolfer

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

19 hours ago, DeadMan said:

I wonder if it's Webb Simpson? He needs to make up for all his shanks...

IIRC he called himself out a few years ago on the green resulting in a penalty stroke that cost him the tourney.  The USGA changed the rule in a way that he wouldn't have been penalized, aka the Webb Simpson rule.

Signs point to no for this one.

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

33 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

Someone said Brendan de Jonge on a different site. I don't know anything about this guy though.

That's good enough for me. Someone you don't know on another golf site guessed about a player you know nothing about. 

His name has now been floated on at least two golf sites now. What further proof could you ask for.

Case solved.:content:

Edited by Shorty
  • Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

4 minutes ago, Shorty said:

That's good enough for me. Someone you don't know on another golf site guessed about a player you know nothing about. 

His name has now been floated on at least two golf sites now. What further proof could you ask for.

Case solved.:content:

Glad I could help.  I also heard there was guy named Steve in Australia from a friend of a friend. I put the name out there for discussion rather than blame but thanks for staying on top of things.

24 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

Glad I could help.  I also heard there was guy named Steve in Australia from a friend of a friend. I put the name out there for discussion rather than blame but thanks for staying on top of things.

I put the name out there for discussion  I defamed him for no reason and with absolutely zero evidence and don't feel bad about it.

Libelling people is not "discussion". The person has not been identified and therefore any guesses (most of which include people who no longer use long putters) do nothing constructive. Just throwing out the names of people who have used long putters or repeating rumours from clueless posters on other sites is not a good idea for very obvious reasons.

Edited by Shorty

A lot of this rubs me like NFL and NBA refs not wanting to call fouls late in games because, "they don't want to affect the outcome of a game!" This is total horsecrap! If an official sees a player committing an infraction and calls him on it, it's not the referee affecting the outcome of the game, it's the player committing the infraction! This kind of PC pretzel logic just drives me to distraction!

And if Tour players don't have balls enough to stand up for the game, then maybe they should quit the Tour and find other jobs!

17 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

A lot of this rubs me like NFL and NBA refs not wanting to call fouls late in games because, "they don't want to affect the outcome of a game!" This is total horsecrap! If an official sees a player committing an infraction and calls him on it, it's not the referee affecting the outcome of the game, it's the player committing the infraction! This kind of PC pretzel logic just drives me to distraction!

And if Tour players don't have balls enough to stand up for the game, then maybe they should quit the Tour and find other jobs!

As mentioned before, you see the reaction in the face of clear evidence with Lexi T. That's why they don't do it.

1 hour ago, Shorty said:

I put the name out there for discussion  I defamed him for no reason and with absolutely zero evidence and don't feel bad about it.

Libelling people is not "discussion". The person has not been identified and therefore any guesses (most of which include people who no longer use long putters) do nothing constructive. Just throwing out the names of people who have used long putters or repeating rumours from clueless posters on other sites is not a good idea for very obvious reasons.

I felt the same way you say but if it's not him then he has nothing to worry about. It's no different than any other speculation on here since we don't have a name but I guess you gotta lash out against someone...

26 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

I felt the same way you say but if it's not him then he has nothing to worry about. It's no different than any other speculation on here since we don't have a name but I guess you gotta lash out against someone...

But if someone reads the accusation and not the retraction (or whatever else follows), is it fair? 

Note: This thread is 2013 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!