IGNORED

Jim "Bones" Mackay's 10 Tips for Reading Greens

Note: This thread is 2452 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Shindig said:

Yeah, I learned the chart method.  I don't think the guy I took it from is teaching still.  Fortunately I'm at a better part of my life where I can afford the lesson fee instead of relying on a free re-sit or whatever the deal was. 

The free thing would only apply to the chart course nobody teaches now anyway. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, iacas said:

The free thing would only apply to the chart course nobody teaches now anyway. :-)

Good point.

I know I'm getting a little off-topic, but other than if we're able to get you to come out to Southern California, is there anyone who teaches in the area you think is particularly good?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator
On 6/17/2017 at 7:06 PM, Shindig said:

Good point.

I know I'm getting a little off-topic, but other than if we're able to get you to come out to Southern California, is there anyone who teaches in the area you think is particularly good?

I'd make the trip out if it was even a little profitable (especially if we could work it into an outing or something).

But… let me see… http://www.aimpointgolf.com/instructor/104 is about it. I'd avoid the Level 2 guy in your area, and that's about all that exists. Craig Farnsworth is a good guy. I don't buy all of his "vision"-related stuff, but he teaches AimPoint well. Go see Craig.

• Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 6/17/2017 at 4:11 PM, iacas said:

I'd make the trip out if it was even a little profitable (especially if we could work it into an outing or something).

But… let me see… http://www.aimpointgolf.com/instructor/104 is about it. I'd avoid the Level 2 guy in your area, and that's about all that exists. Craig Farnsworth is a good guy. I don't buy all of his "vision"-related stuff, but he teaches AimPoint well. Go see Craig.

Thanks.  Given where he teaches, I doubt he's running any clinics this summer, but I'll check in with him in the not-too-distant future.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

1 hour ago, Shindig said:

Yeah, I learned the chart method.  I don't think the guy I took it from is teaching still.  Fortunately I'm at a better part of my life where I can afford the lesson fee instead of relying on a free re-sit or whatever the deal was. 

Awesome to hear you're doing well! If the opportunity arises to take an aimpoint express clinic I'd obviously recommend it.

-Justin

My Swing

SLDR C 10.5, Aeroburner 3W/3H, MX-200 4-GW, Vokey Chrome 200 56 & 60, TM White Smoke

the article is typical fluff with no real value.  In the past i haven't taken any aimpoint classes because none ever near me.  I do see now that there is a level 1 instructor not too far away.  I can't find any info on what the different levels of instructors means.  I would be down if i got the opportunity somewhere reasonably close.  I'm sure it would help me. 

On 6/15/2017 at 11:28 PM, iacas said:

Other people can answer that more accurately than I can, but I think most people who have done the DVDs and the classes would tell you that you get more per dollar out of the course than the DVDs. The DVDs were intended to help drive business to instructors, too.

I took the Aimpoint Express 1 class last year early in the golf season.  I also bought the DVD.   The DVD was useful after I took the class but the class was significantly better.    I can honestly say that my putting has improved tremendously.    I was always under reading the break and with Aimpoint, I at least give the putt a chance.   I still need to work on speed but the bead and read are coming around.  

@iacas, your comments are spot on in my opinion.  

• Upvote 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

On 6/15/2017 at 2:10 PM, nevets88 said:

I really want to know the logic for this one.

Playing the many courses in North Scottsdale like he does. 

Trollin' is the life

• Administrator
4 hours ago, oregongolfguy said:

the article is typical fluff with no real value.  In the past i haven't taken any aimpoint classes because none ever near me.  I do see now that there is a level 1 instructor not too far away.  I can't find any info on what the different levels of instructors means.  I would be down if i got the opportunity somewhere reasonably close.  I'm sure it would help me. 

Just means he's/she's newer and has taught fewer students.

When I stop missing 3 footers on greens I know like the back of my hands, I'll look further into it. There's a level one instructor in Lansing.

Jon

1 hour ago, JonMA1 said:

When I stop missing 3 footers on greens I know like the back of my hands, I'll look further into it. There's a level one instructor in Lansing.

Jon,  Chad is very good.   I took Express 1 from him.   The class will definitely help with the 3' putts too.  

• Upvote 1

I cringe when I go golfing and I hear other players say "well it's gotta break towards the water" or "it's gotta break away from the mountains".

There is a guy named Paul Horton here in Calgary that does AimPoint lessons...it's tempting, but it's also $210.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

10 hours ago, dennyjones said:

Jon,  Chad is very good.   I took Express 1 from him.   The class will definitely help with the 3' putts too.  

Good to know Denny, thanks. Ok if I ask how much the Express 1 cost you?

If I thought it would help, I've even considered taking a road trip to Erie. But I'd be looking at 2 1/2 hrs on the road vs 7. Of course, if the trip included a round of golf with a couple of you downstaters, it might be worth it.

Back on the topic of putting and throwing money at the problem, I'm sure there would be some benefit to lessons. The same could be said for a fitted putter. But after spending $300 for a putter and $200 for lessons, I can't only imagine how pissed I'd be when I was still missing those 3 footers.:-P

I worked all Winter on one of those ball-return putting strips. I came up with a method and was easily hitting 50% from 10' and almost automatic from 4'. Of course, there's that same straight line to go by, the same roll...  nothing like an actual green. Still, I really thought some of that might show up on the course.

Jon

The Express 1 class was $100.   It was $100 well spent.   Chad didn't offer the Express 2 class so I bought the DVD.  Between the improved reads I've been using a metal yard stick to start my putts online and it has helped.   Good luck.

• Upvote 1

On 6/20/2017 at 7:53 AM, Kieran123 said:

I cringe when I go golfing and I hear other players say "well it's gotta break towards the water" or "it's gotta break away from the mountains".

There is a guy named Paul Horton here in Calgary that does AimPoint lessons...it's tempting, but it's also $210.

It'd be $210 well spent.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

welp...   I'm convinced.  

signing up for AImPoint express I & II here with Level 3 instructor Andy Thompson in Minnesota.   

$175.00.   hopefully it works out as advertised.  

Edited by lastings

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

19 minutes ago, lastings said:

welp...   I'm convinced.  

signing up for AImPoint express I & II here with Level 3 instructor Andy Thompson in Minnesota.   

$175.00.   hopefully it works out as advertised.  

You won't be disappointed.  

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 1:34 PM, iacas said:

One read for bent, two for Bermuda. - Uhhhh… okay? Unless he's talking exclusively about short putts, the physics doesn't back this one up much at all.

What are your thoughts? For those of you who haven't taken an AimPoint class, too, I'm curious: why not?

Could he be talking about the line and grain on Bermuda grass... definitely have to take the grain into consideration.  Do you figure out the line and then take the grain into consideration?  I hardly ever play on Bermuda greens... 

I would love to take an Aim Point class but there isn't one in my area that I know of.  Always looking to get better at reading greens.  

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade:

Note: This thread is 2452 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!