IGNORED

Jim "Bones" Mackay's 10 Tips for Reading Greens

Note: This thread is 2477 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/10_rules_jim_mackay

1. First sight is best sight. - Meh. Architects (try to) fool you all the time. And, I would say, nothing involving "sight" is best.
  2. Read with your feet, too. - This is the only tip that should be in this article, which should be titled "Take an AimPoint clinic."
  3. Speed doesn't always kill. - Phil also three-putts a lot from five feet and in because he jams putts in. Yes, if you can hit your line within a few tenths of one degree, take a little break out and hit it firmly.
  4. Develop an insurance read. - This one doesn't really say anything other than "I don't mind slow play." :-)
  5. One read for bent, two for Bermuda. - Uhhhh… okay? Unless he's talking exclusively about short putts, the physics doesn't back this one up much at all.
  6. Your partner must love the read. - That's fine advice if you're playing with a partner, yes.
  7. The best look: behind the hole. - I still disagree that any "look" is best. :-)
  8. Be wary of plumb-bobbing. - No shit Jim. :-P It doesn't work AT ALL.
  9. Know the local topography. - Nah. Almost never applies, and can persuade you to go against everything else. The only topography that matters is VERY local - the topography between your ball and the hole.
  10. Respect the comebacker. - Or, if you don't jam all your putts like Phil Mickelson, just tap them in. :-)

What are your thoughts? For those of you who haven't taken an AimPoint class, too, I'm curious: why not?

• Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On mountain courses, balls tend to move away from the highest peak in the vicinity.

I really want to know the logic for this one.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

(edited)
37 minutes ago, iacas said:

What are your thoughts? For those of you who haven't taken an AimPoint class, too, I'm curious: why not?

I pretty much agree with all of your comments as well. As Jacob plays in these tournaments, some of the techniques I see these kids using are pretty funny sometimes. Maybe it works for them. The plumb bobbers are everywhere.

As far as the Aimpoint class, I VERY MUCH want to take on myself but haven't had the extra cash lying around

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

40 minutes ago, iacas said:

For those of you who haven't taken an AimPoint class, too, I'm curious: why not?

$$$$$$

That's all that stands between me and all of the instruction I would love to get :-D

16 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

More than likely just something from typical architecture.  The altitude of the land will necessarily be lower the farther away from the near highest point.  Instead of manufacturing greens that go away from the natural slope of the land, requiring a lot of dirt to be moved to counteract that effect, the architect is more likely to just shore up any slopes that would be impossible to putt on.  So rather than countering the natural lay of the land, they likely only negated some of the lay of the land if necessary.

Woods: Ping G15 10.5* Draw Driver;   Ping G Series 14.5* 3 Wood;  Callaway 2019 Apex 19* 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno MP-33 4-PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 1.0 52* SS, Glide Stealth 2.0 56* ES, Hogan 60* SW

Edel E-1 Putter

Not very helpful advice from Jim and aimpoint is not offered anywhere near me.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Too damn lazy.  :8)

Plus, I'm a decent putter.  Not great by any means, but I seldom 3-putt, and make my reasonable share inside 10 feet.  If, and you know this, it's a BIG if ( ;-) ), I were to spend any time actually working to improve an aspect of my game, it would be my full-swing approach shots...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
49 minutes ago, amished said:

More than likely just something from typical architecture.  The altitude of the land will necessarily be lower the farther away from the near highest point.  Instead of manufacturing greens that go away from the natural slope of the land, requiring a lot of dirt to be moved to counteract that effect, the architect is more likely to just shore up any slopes that would be impossible to putt on.  So rather than countering the natural lay of the land, they likely only negated some of the lay of the land if necessary.

Thing is, then you have to build two drains - one on the uphill side of the green to collect run-off from the slope, and one on the other side of the green to catch the drainage there. Build the green against the slope and you can just have one drain.

And… a mountain top miles and miles away doesn't have much effect on the topography of a putting green.

They say the greens at Augusta National slope toward Rae's Creek. Not even #11 slopes toward Rae's Creek! (Only two greens do.)

• Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm waiting for the reviews of David Pelz's crowdfunded method. That should be interesting.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I'm waiting for the reviews of David Pelz's crowdfunded method. That should be interesting.

What's the ETA on that thing?

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

What's the ETA on that thing?

$74,910
pledged of $212,000 goal
backers
days to go

Steve

• Administrator

Never mind… still not over.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/19456955/dave-pelzs-secrets-of-greenreading

Began May 7, so over one month ago, and has 21 days left. About 1/3 funded.

I'm gonna wager "not gonna get funded."

It sounds like he needed to come up with a list and couldn't find some good ones.

Honestly, if you know aim point it takes out 7 out of the 10. If you know the concept of capture speed then that takes out a few more. 

Maybe Jim needs to keep it simple ;)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Wait a second. Bones is Mickelson's caddie. Mickelson works with Pelz. I guess Bones is NDA'd, but if he knows Pelz's revolutionary method and is still giving us this mountain BS, pffffft.

Steve

• Administrator
Just now, nevets88 said:

Wait a second. Bones is Mickelson's caddie. Mickelson works with Pelz. I guess Bones is NDA'd, but if knows and is still giving us this mountain BS, pffffft.

Nah. Phil hasn't supported the Kickstarter campaign, either.

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

Nah. Phil hasn't supported the Kickstarter campaign, either.

There's a video of him on the KS page praising Pelz on green reading though.

I dunno, I just feel like all these guys are just trying to sell me air.

Steve

2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

It's because human beings are incapable of shaping the land and creating drainage systems that differ from that which was formed by nature.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
1 minute ago, nevets88 said:

There's a video of him on the KS page praising Pelz on green reading though.

Sarcasm… my man. Though I still would bet Phil hasn't backed the KS campaign. :-)

Note: This thread is 2477 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!