IGNORED

Mickelson and Bones split

phillyk
Note: This thread is 2482 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well, shoot.....reading between the lines on the statements and the follow up articles from folks "in the know," this appears to be Phil terminating the employment relationship......

Have to admit my first impression looks to be wrong.....I guess time will really tell, but I guess this is what happens when you haven't won in a while, even if well, well into the back 9 of a career

If you had to bet 10k straight up whether Phil would win another PGA tourney, what would you bet.?....I would bet "no"

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

I have seen/heard that there was some words exchanged on the 17th tee at Sawgrass 2nd round this year and it ending with Phil saying something to the extent of "That's not what I need from you right now"...I haven't heard the actual dialog, but its all over twitter that it was pretty heated.  Bones wanted Phil to hit a 9 iron, and Phil wanted a PW, which he ultimately hit, and it one hopped off the back of the green and into the water...And then when Phil sent Bones 60 yards up the fairway to tend the pin for him...Tim Rosaforte (take it for what its worth) said he could see Bones taking over Greller(sp?) on Speith's bag since when a player is struggling usually the first to go is the swing coach or caddie...I don't see them splitting, but I also didn't see Phil and Bones splitting either. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Bones had double knee replacement in October/2016.  Phil is not playing well and he still can't putt at the correct speed required for the professional courses.  It is routine for Phil to putt it six feet past the hole on a ten foot putt.  Phil doesn't care what I think and I love the guy.  Putting is the name of the game at the professional level.

1 hour ago, Lastpick said:

Bones had double knee replacement in October/2016.  Phil is not playing well and he still can't putt at the correct speed required for the professional courses.  It is routine for Phil to putt it six feet past the hole on a ten foot putt.  Phil doesn't care what I think and I love the guy.  Putting is the name of the game at the professional level.

Well... and putting it in the fairway which, Phil also doesn't do very well lol.

there is def more to this though.  I have a feeling it wasn't the mutual split they're making it out to be though I also think that one little disagreement at Sawgrass didn't break up a 25 year marriage lol

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

2 hours ago, Lastpick said:

Putting is the name of the game at the professional level.

33 minutes ago, Chris223 said:

Well... and putting it in the fairway which, Phil also doesn't do very well lol.

What?  Not the topic of this thread, but I cannot believe what I'm reading from you two, who I believe actually know better.  Putting is the tie breaker that determines which of whoever among those who are ball striking well this week is going to place.  Fairway accuracy is overrated at most courses, too.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

17 hours ago, Lastpick said:

How many PROFESSIONAL WINS on PROFESSIONAL COURSES does the guy have?

Trollin' is the life

20 hours ago, Shindig said:

What?  Not the topic of this thread, but I cannot believe what I'm reading from you two, who I believe actually know better.  Putting is the tie breaker that determines which of whoever among those who are ball striking well this week is going to place.  Fairway accuracy is overrated at most courses, too.

It was somewhat of a joke since we're talking about Phil but not entirely.  I agree putting above all else is what wins, lol, Jordan Speith is proof of that, he isn't draining 10 ft putts like tap ins anymore and as a result, he's missing cuts and only occasionally in position to win on sunday

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

35 minutes ago, Chris223 said:

It was somewhat of a joke since we're talking about Phil but not entirely.  I agree putting above all else is what wins, lol, Jordan Speith is proof of that, he isn't draining 10 ft putts like tap ins anymore and as a result, he's missing cuts and only occasionally in position to win on sunday

You haven't been watching golf this week, have you? ;-) 

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

49 minutes ago, Chris223 said:

On 6/23/2017 at 1:33 AM, BallStriker said:

If you had to bet 10k straight up whether Phil would win another PGA tourney, what would you bet.?....I would bet "no"

3 second place finishes last year and 4 top 10's so far this year...

...I'd take your action.

Edited by David in FL

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Hey people, I'm a big fan of Phil.  I still don't think that he is a top notch putter at this time in his career.  I'm not sure he has ever been a top putter such as Tiger, Jack or Jordan.  This is only my opinion so it is not written in stone that I'm correct.

I will also add that Phil is not even close to competing at the level that he expects from himself.  Therefore changes have to be made.  

Kudos to Phil for attending his daughters valedictorian address from high school graduation.  For his daughter at this time in her life, it was a lifetime achievement award.  Phil recognized what is most important in his life and responded.  I'm quite sure he is far ahead of me in sound lifetime decisions.

Edited by Lastpick

• Administrator
12 hours ago, Chris223 said:

I agree putting above all else is what wins…

I hope you were joking somehow. I won't ever understand longer-time members of this site who believe things like that. :-)

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 6/24/2017 at 9:59 PM, David in FL said:

You haven't been watching golf this week, have you? ;-) 

Actually I did, lol, I followed Jordan around the course today as soon as he made the turn.  It was awesome.

• Upvote 1

Phil was on morning drive today and said that Bones will be getting lots of inbound calls from top players on tour...I'm guessing he wouldn't have said this if he thought Bones was hanging up his looping shoes, but who knows. It'll be interesting to see where he lands on or off the course.

Phil was on the Dan Patrick radio show today, and said that this was something that had been coming for a while, and that they had talked about it. They've been together 25 years, and after a while things can get old!

How many caddies did Nicklaus have? I can remember his kid, and Angelo Arguello and that's about it! Tiger had Fluff, then Steve, then um, err, uhhh, some guy who I don't remember!

Since when did caddies become famous?

4 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Since when did caddies become famous?

I can think of a couple of caddies from before World War II that are somewhat famous.  I'm sure you've heard of a few of them.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

How many caddies did Nicklaus have?

Several. Including his kid in the 1986 Masters.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Phil says his brother Tim is going to take over for Bones on the bag. Also seems like Bones was aware Memphis (or the US Open) was his last event on Phil's bag.

http://www.golfchannel.com/video/mickelson-talks-us-open-bones-and-tiger/

12 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

How many caddies did Nicklaus have? I can remember his kid, and Angelo Arguello and that's about it!

Angelo started caddying for Jack in '63 until '82 but I don't think he was on the bag on a consistent basis until the 70's. Most of the time players used local caddies. Angelo actually never caddied for him at Augusta, they didn't allow players to bring their own caddies until '83.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 2:29 PM, DaveP043 said:

Or Phil realized that Bones was reading the greens all wrong?

If that was happening and it took him 20 years to figure it out he has bigger problems to be concerned about.

Note: This thread is 2482 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!