IGNORED

Just tried Top Golf

jetsknicks1
Note: This thread is 2479 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just tried Top Golf

I was at a wedding in Jacksonville for a wedding and my BIL mentioned they were heading to Top Golf, since it was something I've been meaning to try, I went along. I gotta admit, it was fun, more like bowling or darts than golf but I enjoyed it. I hadn't brought my clubs so I had to use theirs, which I did not enjoy but it's a neat place to go if you're with folks who don't golf, even my wife had fun and she had never swung a club before. 

Interested to to hear what other members here thought about it.

• Upvote 1
my get up and go musta got up and went..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's not golf, but it's a fun way to spend a couple of hours with some buddies.  Don't know that I'd do it more than a couple of times a year though.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

(edited)
27 minutes ago, David in FL said:

It's not golf, but it's a fun way to spend a couple of hours with some buddies.  Don't know that I'd do it more than a couple of times a year though.

You're right, it's definitely not golf lol. It's a fun way to kill a couple hours tho.

Edited by jetsknicks1

In the winter, they blast the heaters, so if you don't want to freeze, there's that.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

4 hours ago, jetsknicks1 said:

You're right, it's definitely not golf lol. It's a fun way to kill a couple hours tho.

I have the same feelings as you. It's expensive, not really golf, but it's a fun time with friends who normally wouldn't get out on the course. I've been to the Tampa, Oklahoma City, and Kansas City locations and probably wouldn't go more than 2-3 times a year.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

8 minutes ago, StefanUrkel said:

Fun. Although, you could walk out thinking you could have bought an all new hybrid with that money.

Lol, true. It cost us $72 for two hours but if you've got 5-6 people, it's not so bad.

28 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

I have the same feelings as you. It's expensive, not really golf, but it's a fun time with friends who normally wouldn't get out on the course. I've been to the Tampa, Oklahoma City, and Kansas City locations and probably wouldn't go more than 2-3 times a year.

Great business model tho, that place was packed and the majority of people I saw were definitely not golfers.

I have been invied to go many times including my wife planning a birthday party there for me. I declined all invites and told my wife to not bother. Each time I instantly called to book a tee time for real golf.

21 minutes ago, upndown21 said:

I have been invied to go many times including my wife planning a birthday party there for me. I declined all invites and told my wife to not bother. Each time I instantly called to book a tee time for real golf.

It's not meant to be real golf. Is hitting a bucket of balls at targets on the range real golf?

• Administrator

@rwolfe just went to the one in Las Vegas. He said they had beer, pizza, and were there for two hours, for $200 total. $50 for two hours plus food sounds like a decent deal to me.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, jetsknicks1 said:

It's not meant to be real golf. Is hitting a bucket of balls at targets on the range real golf?

More so than hitting off an elevated mat.

I'd like to go to a Top Golf, but the closest one is a 5hr drive and I doubt it's quite worth the drive.  I'll get to it eventually.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

9 minutes ago, phillyk said:

I'd like to go to a Top Golf, but the closest one is a 5hr drive and I doubt it's quite worth the drive.  I'll get to it eventually.

Yeah, I wouldn't drive that far for it but if you get the chance, it's definitely something to check out.

18 hours ago, jetsknicks1 said:

Lol, true. It cost us $72 for two hours but if you've got 5-6 people, it's not so bad.

If you think of it as entertainment, and compare it to a movie theater, the price is pretty good.  I drive past one every day, but have never been in.  My wife has gone with a group of friends a couple of times, and has really enjoyed it.  Supposedly, the food and drink is pretty dang good.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

59 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

If you think of it as entertainment, and compare it to a movie theater, the price is pretty good.  I drive past one every day, but have never been in.  My wife has gone with a group of friends a couple of times, and has really enjoyed it.  Supposedly, the food and drink is pretty dang good.

I didn't eat but the food that came out looked pretty good, plus they had a good beer selection and the prices weren't too bad at all.

Yeah, the food is actually pretty good.  A step up from what you'd expect in a normal sports bar.  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Going out to Portland next week and the facility is very close to where I'll be staying.  I may see if some of the guys want to go one night.  Never been but would like to try sometime.  Given some of the comments here it sounds like you want to go with a larger group to help with not only the cost but also the fun-factor.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Note: This thread is 2479 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!