20 posts in this topic Last Reply

Ok I found two apps for my iPhone. SwingxSwing and 18birdies. Both have scoring hole by hole and course layout along with position gps and distance to hole. SwingxSwing has my public par 3  but a lot of ads and errors with gps (works3 out of 5 times). 18Birdies works great with gps. Scoring on SwingxSwing has better break down of hole were as 18Birdies is basic in free version. 

Has anyone found another app or has anyone used these and had better luck  

I have the new I have the iPhone 7 plus FYI 

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

The Grint. Does everything I need. Golfshot worked alright too. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I used to use Golflogix.  I liked it better than most other GPS apps because it used an artist's rendering of the hole instead of an actual GPS map.   It was easier to see in bright sunlight for me.   I still use Golflogix but only to keep score since I use my range finder on approach shots.

I use TheGrint to get a handicap, trends and other statistics.   

I made a free one this summer, with the assistance of my 13yo, which is on the App Store here. The plan is to build up the reports over the coming weeks to help people get the most out of the effort of recording. I've been using it for about 8 weeks and its helping my score come down. 

8 minutes ago, Dan Vesma said:

I made a free one this summer, with the assistance of my 13yo, which is on the App Store here. The plan is to build up the reports over the coming weeks to help people get the most out of the effort of recording. I've been using it for about 8 weeks and its helping my score come down. 

Just curious, what sets your app apart from the standalone app like GameGolf?

2 hours ago, klineka said:

Just curious, what sets your app apart from the standalone app like GameGolf?

GameGolf is obviously pretty cool, and I know lots of people get great results, but I think there's room for something that's free, works on all courses, works well on the range and that I hope over time will become a more serious statistics platform. Quality of strike is just about the most important thing to record in my app, and thats something that the 'competition' doesn't do quite so well. 

On 9/1/2017 at 0:21 PM, Dan Vesma said:

Dan, is it available for Android? -Marv

9 hours ago, MarvChamp said:

Dan, is it available for Android? -Marv

Not yet Marv, I only have the skills and experience to build it on iOS, but if it proves popular then I’d love to bring it to Android.

On 9/1/2017 at 4:21 PM, Dan Vesma said:

GameGolf is obviously pretty cool, and I know lots of people get great results, but I think there's room for something that's free, works on all courses, works well on the range and that I hope over time will become a more serious statistics platform.

@Dan Vesma, GAME GOLF:

• is a free app.
  • works on iOS and Android.
  • works on all courses.
  • has no purpose on the range, nor should it.
  • is already a serious statistics program and is getting more so.

Mentioning your app once or twice here is fine, putting it in your signature and responding disingenuously about other apps is too much. I appreciate that it's free, but you're here as a member of the site, not here to promote your app. This site's been around for over a dozen years and that rule has been one of the most consistent ones.

Hey Dan, just downloaded your app and really like the simplistic look and navigation of it. Downloaded the two courses I play that are close and the large 18 hole par 72 looks great. Was surprised to find my little par 3 29 course in there. Ran a test on that one and it starts the course on hole 2. Where does the data for courses come from. I currently use The Grint for an app and it has different data?   I'll try it out scoring wise today and see how it all flys but do far so good. Keep it up I think you got a winner here

Freecaddie for me. Its simple, has the courses i play and is well...free. Perfect for a tight Yorkshireman like myself.

All i need is distance to front, middle and back of green as i often have trouble with information overload.

On 03/09/2017 at 4:21 PM, iacas said:

@Dan Vesma

Mentioning your app once or twice here is fine, putting it in your signature and responding disingenuously about other apps is too much. I appreciate that it's free, but you're here as a member of the site, not here to promote your app. This site's been around for over a dozen years and that rule has been one of the most consistent ones.

I certainly didn't mean to be disingenuous, and will shut up about my app – this is a generally a positive and community, and I absolutely don't wish to bring the tone down. I just went to remove the link from my signature, and note that this has already been done. Genuine apologies to anyone who felt disrespected.

34 minutes ago, Dan Vesma said:

I certainly didn't mean to be disingenuous, and will shut up about my app – this is a generally a positive and community, and I absolutely don't wish to bring the tone down. I just went to remove the link from my signature, and note that this has already been done. Genuine apologies to anyone who felt disrespected.

It's not that serious. Just a rule we enforce. And you were off a bit about what GG does/costs/etc.

That's all.

Super. I have an iPhone so far only one I’ve seen that has worked every time is the grint. Game golf was ok but not overly accurate and well to much trying to sell add on’s But that’s common this day and age. Everything’s got a price tag on it. I have not tried the pro version but not in need of the features.   Thank you for your post. I’m trying to look at as many as I can. 

On 9/26/2017 at 1:55 PM, Popeye said:

I use the android app 'hole 19' does everything I need and you can also see how your 'buddies' are getting on.

I discovered this in PlayStore on my new Android and posted without searching.(my bad)  How does it perform in bright sunlight? Battery drain? data usage?

TIA

James

1 hour ago, Hacker James said:

I discovered this in PlayStore on my new Android and posted without searching.(my bad)  How does it perform in bright sunlight? Battery drain? data usage?

TIA

James

My app is GolfLogix, but instructions should read the same on this. Turn off blue tooth and wifi before downloading the course or using on the course. That lessens battery drain. Your brightness setting is adjustable. My only sight problem is with sunglasses. Best, -Marv