IGNORED

Golf apps

Maddmaxx63
Note: This thread is 2282 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok I found two apps for my iPhone. SwingxSwing and 18birdies. Both have scoring hole by hole and course layout along with position gps and distance to hole. SwingxSwing has my public par 3  but a lot of ads and errors with gps (works3 out of 5 times). 18Birdies works great with gps. Scoring on SwingxSwing has better break down of hole were as 18Birdies is basic in free version. 

Has anyone found another app or has anyone used these and had better luck  

I have the new I have the iPhone 7 plus FYI 

I used to use Golflogix.  I liked it better than most other GPS apps because it used an artist's rendering of the hole instead of an actual GPS map.   It was easier to see in bright sunlight for me.   I still use Golflogix but only to keep score since I use my range finder on approach shots.

I use TheGrint to get a handicap, trends and other statistics.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Golfshot. Try the free version. 

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

• 1 month later...

I made a free one this summer, with the assistance of my 13yo, which is on the App Store here. The plan is to build up the reports over the coming weeks to help people get the most out of the effort of recording. I've been using it for about 8 weeks and its helping my score come down. 

Dan Vesma

M2 10.5, Old Bendy Fazer 3W, Mizuno MP-59 Irons, Cheapy Wedges & Monza Rossa Putter
Back playing after 6 years, no hcp yet, just lots of shouting

8 minutes ago, Dan Vesma said:

I made a free one this summer, with the assistance of my 13yo, which is on the App Store here. The plan is to build up the reports over the coming weeks to help people get the most out of the effort of recording. I've been using it for about 8 weeks and its helping my score come down. 

Just curious, what sets your app apart from the standalone app like GameGolf?

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

2 hours ago, klineka said:

Just curious, what sets your app apart from the standalone app like GameGolf?

GameGolf is obviously pretty cool, and I know lots of people get great results, but I think there's room for something that's free, works on all courses, works well on the range and that I hope over time will become a more serious statistics platform. Quality of strike is just about the most important thing to record in my app, and thats something that the 'competition' doesn't do quite so well. 

Dan Vesma

M2 10.5, Old Bendy Fazer 3W, Mizuno MP-59 Irons, Cheapy Wedges & Monza Rossa Putter

On 9/1/2017 at 0:21 PM, Dan Vesma said:

Dan, is it available for Android? -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

9 hours ago, MarvChamp said:

Dan, is it available for Android? -Marv

Not yet Marv, I only have the skills and experience to build it on iOS, but if it proves popular then I’d love to bring it to Android.

Dan Vesma

• Administrator
On 9/1/2017 at 4:21 PM, Dan Vesma said:

GameGolf is obviously pretty cool, and I know lots of people get great results, but I think there's room for something that's free, works on all courses, works well on the range and that I hope over time will become a more serious statistics platform.

@Dan Vesma, GAME GOLF:

• is a free app.
  • works on iOS and Android.
  • works on all courses.
  • has no purpose on the range, nor should it.
  • is already a serious statistics program and is getting more so.

Mentioning your app once or twice here is fine, putting it in your signature and responding disingenuously about other apps is too much. I appreciate that it's free, but you're here as a member of the site, not here to promote your app. This site's been around for over a dozen years and that rule has been one of the most consistent ones.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Hey Dan, just downloaded your app and really like the simplistic look and navigation of it. Downloaded the two courses I play that are close and the large 18 hole par 72 looks great. Was surprised to find my little par 3 29 course in there. Ran a test on that one and it starts the course on hole 2. Where does the data for courses come from. I currently use The Grint for an app and it has different data?   I'll try it out scoring wise today and see how it all flys but do far so good. Keep it up I think you got a winner here

Freecaddie for me. Its simple, has the courses i play and is well...free. Perfect for a tight Yorkshireman like myself.

All i need is distance to front, middle and back of green as i often have trouble with information overload.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

On 03/09/2017 at 4:21 PM, iacas said:

@Dan Vesma

Mentioning your app once or twice here is fine, putting it in your signature and responding disingenuously about other apps is too much. I appreciate that it's free, but you're here as a member of the site, not here to promote your app. This site's been around for over a dozen years and that rule has been one of the most consistent ones.

I certainly didn't mean to be disingenuous, and will shut up about my app – this is a generally a positive and community, and I absolutely don't wish to bring the tone down. I just went to remove the link from my signature, and note that this has already been done. Genuine apologies to anyone who felt disrespected.

Dan Vesma

• Administrator
34 minutes ago, Dan Vesma said:

I certainly didn't mean to be disingenuous, and will shut up about my app – this is a generally a positive and community, and I absolutely don't wish to bring the tone down. I just went to remove the link from my signature, and note that this has already been done. Genuine apologies to anyone who felt disrespected.

It's not that serious. Just a rule we enforce. And you were off a bit about what GG does/costs/etc.

That's all.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 3 weeks later...

Super. I have an iPhone so far only one I’ve seen that has worked every time is the grint. Game golf was ok but not overly accurate and well to much trying to sell add on’s But that’s common this day and age. Everything’s got a price tag on it. I have not tried the pro version but not in need of the features.   Thank you for your post. I’m trying to look at as many as I can. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/26/2017 at 1:55 PM, Popeye said:

I use the android app 'hole 19' does everything I need and you can also see how your 'buddies' are getting on.

I discovered this in PlayStore on my new Android and posted without searching.(my bad)  How does it perform in bright sunlight? Battery drain? data usage?

TIA

James

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

1 hour ago, Hacker James said:

I discovered this in PlayStore on my new Android and posted without searching.(my bad)  How does it perform in bright sunlight? Battery drain? data usage?

TIA

James

My app is GolfLogix, but instructions should read the same on this. Turn off blue tooth and wifi before downloading the course or using on the course. That lessens battery drain. Your brightness setting is adjustable. My only sight problem is with sunglasses. Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Note: This thread is 2282 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!