Jump to content
IGNORED

Getting into PURE Grips


Recommended Posts

I just received my first set of Pure DTX midsize grips (lime green). I have made a total of 1 swing with a 9i and thought it felt good. Then I got back to installing the rest of the set.

It felt like I could play a round without a glove with these grips, at least in the warm but not hot weather like we had today. You can really feel the texture without a glove.  I am not sure how my hands would feel during a practice session without a glove. These midsize feel a little smaller than my old CP2 midsize, but with more texture, I think I will be Ok with them.

I have never installed my own grips before, but I found this to be pretty easy. The hardest part was getting the old tape off. I realize that you don't have to take the old tape off, but the new grips go on much easier without the old tape.

The set of grips cost $156, plus a 1time cost of $10 for the compressor attachment. I was able to use my existing tire inflator trigger, so I didn't have to by the more expensive compressor trigger that they sell.

  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Informative 1

War Eagle!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, The Flush said:

I just received my first set of Pure DTX midsize grips (lime green). I have made a total of 1 swing with a 9i and thought it felt good. Then I got back to installing the rest of the set.

It felt like I could play a round without a glove with these grips, at least in the warm but not hot weather like we had today. You can really feel the texture without a glove.  I am not sure how my hands would feel during a practice session without a glove. These midsize feel a little smaller than my old CP2 midsize, but with more texture, I think I will be Ok with them.

I have never installed my own grips before, but I found this to be pretty easy. The hardest part was getting the old tape off. I realize that you don't have to take the old tape off, but the new grips go on much easier without the old tape.

The set of grips cost $156, plus a 1time cost of $10 for the compressor attachment. I was able to use my existing tire inflator trigger, so I didn't have to by the more expensive compressor trigger that they sell.

Yeah? I thought using air it wouldn’t make a difference if tape was there or not?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator

With the midsize its a bit more difficult to get the grip on due to the thickness of the grip. I find it easier to use one layer of masking tape or painter’s tape as the site recommends.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, The Flush said:

I just received my first set of Pure DTX midsize grips (lime green). I have made a total of 1 swing with a 9i and thought it felt good. Then I got back to installing the rest of the set.

It felt like I could play a round without a glove with these grips, at least in the warm but not hot weather like we had today. You can really feel the texture without a glove.  I am not sure how my hands would feel during a practice session without a glove. These midsize feel a little smaller than my old CP2 midsize, but with more texture, I think I will be Ok with them.

I have never installed my own grips before, but I found this to be pretty easy. The hardest part was getting the old tape off. I realize that you don't have to take the old tape off, but the new grips go on much easier without the old tape.

The set of grips cost $156, plus a 1time cost of $10 for the compressor attachment. I was able to use my existing tire inflator trigger, so I didn't have to by the more expensive compressor trigger that they sell.

I love the Pure DTX Midsize. 

BTW - I don't use the compressor attachment. I just use one of these.

image.thumb.jpeg.24df2a7112e518e5ab84a0696d94dc5b.jpeg

 

58 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

With the midsize its a bit more difficult to get the grip on due to the thickness of the grip. I find it easier to use one layer of masking tape or painter’s tape as the site recommends.

Funny, I find the midsize easier to put on than the standard size.... But once again, I don't use their attachment thingie. 

But, I can put on either without too much difficulty, but the midsize is easier. 

2 hours ago, The Flush said:

The set of grips cost $156

Get on their mailing list. There are sales all the time. 

  • Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 4 months later...
  • Administrator
10 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I can't believe these guys are going out of business. 
5-Sadness-gifs.gif.316ae8b55ae5dcec4948fa9c6381a663.gif

Yep. 50% off while supplies last.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 1 month later...

Beginner’s question here. I’m trying to regrip with new pure grips. I’m using an air compressor and masking tape - no solvent or adhesive tape per Pure’s instructions. I’ve done one club and it seems like the butt end of the grip is not flush with the end of the club. It feels looser than my other clubs on that end.

What I am doing wrong? I’ve had this problem with traditional solvent, too, so it’s a general issue I’m having. I’m guessing I should retape and clean the inside of the grips based on some research. Any other suggestions?

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

 :aimpoint:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
6 hours ago, DeadMan said:

Beginner’s question here. I’m trying to regrip with new pure grips. I’m using an air compressor and masking tape - no solvent or adhesive tape per Pure’s instructions. I’ve done one club and it seems like the butt end of the grip is not flush with the end of the club. It feels looser than my other clubs on that end.

What I am doing wrong? I’ve had this problem with traditional solvent, too, so it’s a general issue I’m having. I’m guessing I should retape and clean the inside of the grips based on some research. Any other suggestions?

Try to keep stretching the grip so the butt is closer to the shaft end. I do this by gripping a few inches from the butt and giving it air. The grip inflates a bit and you can ease it down the shaft. Work your way down the grip and keep stretching it out. It will feel a bit looser than a cord grip at the butt because it’s an elastomer. But you can tell it’s all the way on.

  • Informative 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator

As others said, just push it on more. Is the tape flush or do you have scraps off the end of the shaft? Cut or tuck them in.

But, yeah… just give it air and use the tool to push the end of the grip all the way on. I wouldn't stretch too much as that will thin the grip out a little, but once the grip is all the way on you can give it air and the grip will inflate and go back to the natural length, too. This is also useful if you need to twist the grip to align it or something.

Also, I just put PURE grips on the shaft, typically. Sometimes I put some duct tape on (it's stickier than masking tape).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks, everyone. I will keep trying.

35 minutes ago, iacas said:

Is the tape flush or do you have scraps off the end of the shaft?

Scraps are inside the shaft, so that shouldn't be an issue. I'm going to get the grip off today before trying again, so I'll double check that there's not something weird going on at the butt-end of the club.

36 minutes ago, iacas said:

Also, I just put PURE grips on the shaft, typically. Sometimes I put some duct tape on (it's stickier than masking tape).

With my current grips, I have 2 layers of tape on them. Maybe I'll try no tape and see what happens, but I prefer to have a little build up. It's a comfort thing. My hands are small, so I don't need the tape.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

 :aimpoint:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
50 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

With my current grips, I have 2 layers of tape on them. Maybe I'll try no tape and see what happens, but I prefer to have a little build up. It's a comfort thing. My hands are small, so I don't need the tape.

In the future consider trying Gorilla duct tape. I don't even wrap parts off the end - I just cut an 11" piece and wrap it corner to diagonal corner.

But, yeah, just push the tool against the butt end harder.

🤣

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have Gorilla duct tape, painter's tape, and masking tape. I can try them all, haha. I have a heat gun, which makes it pretty easy to get tape off. I'll keep trying, and pushing harder.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

 :aimpoint:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator

@DeadMan the butt “cap” of the grip is a little bit softer than a Golf Pride grip. Sometimes I think I don’t have the grip all the way down but it is.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
4 minutes ago, billchao said:

@DeadMan the butt “cap” of the grip is a little bit softer than a Golf Pride grip. Sometimes I think I don’t have the grip all the way down but it is.

Right. It’s rubber not plastic. Other grips have a lot more plastic.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I’ve been marking how long the trip is, and I’m coming up about an inch short. Here’s a picture:

IMG_3602.thumb.jpeg.4883f15af896d154544391585d616af9.jpeg
 

If you can see the black line, that’s where the grip ends when it’s off the club. I also have a little more give than I’d expect at the last half inch of the grip.

Edit to add: I might have it now:

IMG_3603.thumb.jpeg.5d073e16ae85e5631c678a429afe6176.jpeg
 

That’s about a quarter inch. Seems more firmly on now. Painter’s tape was the winner. I’ll let it sit for a bit and see how it feels. 

Edited by DeadMan
  • Thumbs Up 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

 :aimpoint:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
35 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I’ve been marking how long the trip is, and I’m coming up about an inch short. Here’s a picture:

IMG_3602.thumb.jpeg.4883f15af896d154544391585d616af9.jpeg
 

If you can see the black line, that’s where the grip ends when it’s off the club. I also have a little more give than I’d expect at the last half inch of the grip.

Edit to add: I might have it now:

IMG_3603.thumb.jpeg.5d073e16ae85e5631c678a429afe6176.jpeg
 

That’s about a quarter inch. Seems more firmly on now. Painter’s tape was the winner. I’ll let it sit for a bit and see how it feels. 

I use painters tape because I have midsize grips. Just takes a bit of practice to ease it down. It would be slightly shorter than a typical Golf Pride grip. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I did Gorilla duct tape with the second club. It was definitely stickier and harder to get on. But it also feels thicker, so I might stick (ha!) with it. It also feels like I got it on better. I believe I have figured it out. Thanks, @billchao, @iacas, @colin007, and @boogielicious!

  • Thumbs Up 2

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

 :aimpoint:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • TST Partners

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    ShotScope
    The Stack System
    FlightScope Mevo
    Direct: Mevo, Mevo+, and Pro Package.

    Coupon Codes (save 10-15%): "IACAS" for Mevo/Stack, "IACASPLUS" for Mevo+/Pro Package, and "THESANDTRAP" for ShotScope.
  • Posts

    • Cycling to a golf course definitely adds an adventurous twist to the game. To make it feasible, consider paring down your gear and opting for lightweight equipment. Investing in a bike rack designed for golf clubs can also help ease the transportation process. Planning your route carefully and allowing for extra time can ensure a smooth ride to the course.When it comes to protecting your bike and gear, bicycle insurance is essential. Considering the investment in both your bike and golf equipment, it's wise to have coverage for unexpected events. You can explore bicycle insurance uk to find a policy that fits your needs.
    • Are these one putt percentages? Even if those three buckets between 12 and 30 feet are all 1 for 2, that's high. 3 for 6 from 12 to 30 feet is a serious outlier. The others could be: 15/16 6/11 7/12 5/13 1/2 1/2 1/2 1/9 67 putts total, which is probably 2 rounds? My rough shot at strokes gained for that lot would be: -0.6 + -2.8 + 0.0 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.8 + 0.9 + 0.0 = -0.7 (PGA Tour baseline). Over two rounds that's pretty good and extremely good for a 15 index baseline. I'd think a 15 index would be expected to be somewhere in the -6 over two rounds. And that's with 3-6ft killing you.
    • Wordle 984 4/6 ⬜⬜🟨⬜🟨 ⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜ 🟨🟨⬜🟨⬜ 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    • Wordle 984 3/6 ⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨 🟨🟨⬜🟨⬜ 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    • Wordle 984 4/6 🟨⬜⬜⬜🟨 🟨🟨⬜🟨⬜ ⬜⬜🟨🟩🟩 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...