IGNORED

GPS or Hybrid

djake
Note: This thread is 2469 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello TST - this is my first attempt at starting a forum so I if did it wrong, sorry. 

Looking for input.  I am currently looking at getting either a hand held GPS like the Garmin Approach G6 or G8 or similar or a 4 Hybrid.  I currently do not own either of these items.  I stole my son's 4 hybrid to see if I like such a club and I am finally getting a feel for hitting a hybrid plus he wants it back.  That 200 to 220 yardage shot is a trouble spot for me.  For reference I hit my 5 iron 190 yards carry.  The bunch of guys I play with all like to float around and play different courses so we never get all that familiar with any one course and thus automatically know distances as when you play just one course.  So we are hunting and searching for yardage makers and the "How far do you think it is".  After playing with a couple guys that had a GPS it was an eye opener for time savings and distance accuracy. And I would rather have a GPS over a Range Finder.  Buying both is optimum but out of the question as I have completely blown the golf budget for the year.  Squeezing one of these two items is doable but not both for now.  So which one would you get first?  All input will be greatly appreciated, thank you

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What is the typical yardage of the courses you play?

How many shots on average do you find yourself 200-220 out? 

What is the distance of your 3 wood, do you feel comfortable choking down on a 3 wood?

You would use the GPS unit on every hole, where the hybrid might get 1-2 times per round, maybe more depending on the yardage of the courses you play. Plus, being a 12 index, the amount of times you realistically get on the green from 200-220 is not that high, meaning that a 190 carry with a 5 iron wouldnt be all that bad and wouldnt leave you in that bad of a position most of the time. In my opinion I vote for the GPS unit now and the 4 hybrid later. 

Also might want to check your local craigslist, or even golf galaxy for used clubs. I just picked up a used Taylormade 3 hybrid for $30. Yeah it has some scratches on the bottom, but the top is perfectly fine after I cleaned it off and still feels very solid for $30. Could always do that for now and then get a new or more expensive option next year.

• Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

I don't have a GPS; but nearly everyone I play with does.  I'd put a new club in my bag before adding a fourth GPS to the foursome.  If I played solo, more often, I'd get a GPS.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

What's the rest of your bag like?  Are you replacing a 4-iron?  What do you carry above the 4-iron?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I agree with @klineka,  If you really need the hybrid for a specific shot you face a lot of the time, that would be a logical choice.  But playing a lot of different courses, you'd use the GPS in almost every round numerous times.  That would be my suggestion.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Go with the GPS. I have the G6 and I love it. Absolutely indispensable. You're not going to use the hybrid as often as the GPS and you can probably get away with not having that club in the bag for now.

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, klineka said:

What is the typical yardage of the courses you play?

How many shots on average do you find yourself 200-220 out? 

What is the distance of your 3 wood, do you feel comfortable choking down on a 3 wood?

You would use the GPS unit on every hole, where the hybrid might get 1-2 times per round, maybe more depending on the yardage of the courses you play. Plus, being a 12 index, the amount of times you realistically get on the green from 200-220 is not that high, meaning that a 190 carry with a 5 iron wouldnt be all that bad and wouldnt leave you in that bad of a position most of the time. In my opinion I vote for the GPS unit now and the 4 hybrid later. 

Also might want to check your local craigslist, or even golf galaxy for used clubs. I just picked up a used Taylormade 3 hybrid for $30. Yeah it has some scratches on the bottom, but the top is perfectly fine after I cleaned it off and still feels very solid for $30. Could always do that for now and then get a new or more expensive option next year.

excellent answers/questions

I stopped carrying a 3 wood, I hit my 5 wood 220 to 240.  When I am 200 to 220 I think nothing but green and it is very realistic which was my 7 wood but shaft broke and looking at getting a new shaft vs a hybrid, I leaning towards the hybrid.  Used clubs are a great way to go, my putter was used and fitted at that for me.  Saved me a ton of money.  Not to sound defensive over the handicap, I have a lot or rust coming off after 12 year layoff from the game.  Inconsistancy has kept the handicap up.  I have played even par this year and also shot a 99 (:  I play any and all courses and actually prefer longer courses. 

1 hour ago, Shindig said:

What's the rest of your bag like?  Are you replacing a 4-iron?  What do you carry above the 4-iron?

Irons are 5 thru PW then a 52 and 56.  Driver, 5 wood and 7 wood plus the stolen 4 hybrid. 

- Dean

Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6

Go for the GPS.  Especially if you have the skill level to shoot close to par.  Your ballstriking should be consistent, so your carry distances should be consistent.  Couple that with an accurate reading to the pin and you're going to give yourself better scoring chances.  

Course markers can be a bit off and the effect is amplified when you're not familiar with the course.  Even with a perfect shot, if the marker is five yards off, you've potentially added 15 feet to your birdie putt.  I played a course with GPS carts for the first time and birdied a hole after hitting my drive into the adjacent fairway.  Couldn't see the pin over the hill but the GPS said 156 yds and I chose a target line.  Approach landed 12 feet from the pin and I son't think I could have pulled that off without the GPS.  Knowing the distance eliminates one variable from the equation...

Edited by Foot Wedge
*accurate reading to the PIN.
  • Upvote 1

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

Thank you for your advice and questions!  Greatly appreciated and here is an update.

I talked The Boss regarding this and she agrees with the GPS first approach and @billchao and your comments regarding the G6 that pretty much settled it for me to go the Garmin Approach G6 instead of spending the extra money on the G8.

Bonus time:  I talked to my fitter today regarding the Cobra F7+ Driver I have on order and he is going to grab a used Cobra F7 4 Hybrid for me to test on the course and see how I like it.  He is going to grab a used one with a shaft that matches what we are doing with all of my clubs as close as he can and if I like the Cobra F7 Hybrid he will do any custom work on the used that needs to be done thus saving me money @klineka I thought you might like hearing that since you reminded me of the used route (: 

If anyone else still wants to give advice, questions or general thoughts on this topic please do, I really enjoy it!

- Dean

17 minutes ago, djake said:

I talked The Boss regarding this and she agrees with the GPS first approach and @billchao and your comments regarding the G6 that pretty much settled it for me to go the Garmin Approach G6 instead of spending the extra money on the G8.

The G6 is perfectly adequate for my needs. I remember doing the research and not finding the extra bells and whistles in the G8 worth the extra money to me.

Remember, the boss is always right. At least that's what mine tells me :-D

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

@djake, have you looked at a phone app instead of a dedicated gps unit?

Some here on TST don't like to use a phone app for different reasons (drains the phone battery, don't want a phone on the course at all, for example). But I use one and like it.

Just mentioning it in case you hadn't considered it, since cost is a factor here.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Go with the Garmin - really good unit and you will get a ton of benefit from it. I just got a G8 - I lost my G6 :~( but had it for several years. 

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

14 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

@djake, have you looked at a phone app instead of a dedicated gps unit?

Some here on TST don't like to use a phone app for different reasons (drains the phone battery, don't want a phone on the course at all, for example). But I use one and like it.

Just mentioning it in case you hadn't considered it, since cost is a factor here.

Skol @Missouri Swede from a fellow Scandinavian!  I did try a phone app and did not like it.  I wear two gloves and the phone does not respond very well to that.  Plus and really the most important reason is that when I play golf I am trying to escape from the world for that period of time.  Work text and work email are always on the phone thus no escape.  And I am the type of person that does not like to have everything on one device, when that one device goes down - ufda

3 minutes ago, Jmdmbike said:

Go with the Garmin - really good unit and you will get a ton of benefit from it. I just got a G8 - I lost my G6 :~( but had it for several years. 

Do you use the added features on the G8?  I am looking at the cost savings of the G6 and wondering if the added features of the G8 are worth the extra money. 

- Dean

I have only used it for a couple rounds - so not yet - still exploring. My main thing about the G8 was I liked the larger screen size, but honestly I would not have changed if I hadn't lost my G6. 

• Upvote 1

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Note: This thread is 2469 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!