IGNORED

Putting from the fringe or short fairway

dennyjones
Note: This thread is 2460 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In yesterday's practice round, with the rain coming down, I decided to putt from the short grass of the fairway.    Sometimes I get lucky, yesterday was not one of those days.   Is there a technique or some rule of thumb when putting from off of the green in longer grass?   

• Upvote 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't do anything differently, just make a longer stroke.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I use my 5 wood, grip down, and pretend I've got a putter in my hands.  We've had so much rain the last few months that it simply isn't possible to putt, with any consistency, from beyond the collar.  

• Upvote 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

• Administrator

Put the ball a little more forward in your stance.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

44 minutes ago, Piz said:

I use my 5 wood, grip down, and pretend I've got a putter in my hands.  We've had so much rain the last few months that it simply isn't possible to putt, with any consistency, from beyond the collar.  

some call this the "Carnoustie" fairway wood, hybrid, or mid iron. Walk the club up to vertical (toe down), grip like a putter, and put. This was one of Tiger's shots.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

3 hours ago, dennyjones said:

Is there a technique or some rule of thumb when putting from off of the green in longer grass?   

Practice.  In most parts of the world, the fairway cut runs slower than the green, so if you're putting, you need to hit it harder than the distance might indicate.   So if you get a chance, hit a few putts from the fringe while yo're warming up, to learn about the speed of the fairway.  

As an aside, I once hit a putt from about 60 yards at St Andrews.  I had definitely NOT practiced from this range, but the shot turned out pretty well.  And those fairways were nearly as fast as the greens, so a little less adjustment was required.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Hategolf said:

I had some success with releasing the head of the putter a little more when the ball has to go over the rough.

Yeah, that's why I said this:

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Put the ball a little more forward in your stance.

Ball forward gets it launching a little higher, out of the deeper depression in the slightly longer fringe grass. KISS: just move the ball forward. Don't change anything else about your stroke.

FWIW I assumed you meant "fringe" or "fairway" instead of "rough."

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Yeah, that's why I said this:

Ball forward gets it launching a little higher, out of the deeper depression in the slightly longer fringe grass. KISS: just move the ball forward. Don't change anything else about your stroke.

FWIW I assumed you meant "fringe" or "fairway" instead of "rough."

I had the opportunity to practice on #12 today while I was playing.  I dropped three balls and moved the ball forward as @iacas suggested and it seemed to work well.  I also compared it chipping with my pitching wedge and also one of my hybrids.     With practice, I could see the hybrid working well but moving the ball forward and maintaining my putting setup worked well. 

• Administrator
Just now, dennyjones said:

I had the opportunity to practice on #12 today while I was playing.  I dropped three balls and moved the ball forward as @iacas suggested and it seemed to work well.  I also compared it chipping with my pitching wedge and also one of my hybrids.     With practice, I could see the hybrid working well but moving the ball forward and maintaining my putting setup worked well. 

I've always found putting with hybrids or woods to be too touchy. They're "jumpy" clubs. Plus they're long and tougher to control. And they have a little bulge and roll.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I've always found putting with hybrids or woods to be too touchy. They're "jumpy" clubs. Plus they're long and tougher to control. And they have a little bulge and roll.

Agree.

A chipper would be a much better choice. :-D 

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

7 minutes ago, David in FL said:

A chipper would be a much better choice.

Ouch...(based up what I believe was your opinion from previous posts) ;-)

Just now, dennyjones said:

Ouch...(based up what I believe was your opinion from previous posts) ;-)

My goal in life.  To convince mid-to-high hcp golfers to give up the damn 60* wedge and put a chipper in the bag.

It ain't much, but it's good to have goals. :-) 

I know, I know....

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

3 hours ago, iacas said:

I agree. I suppose if you extensively practice with those clubs, you can overcome those obstacles, but this is still a rare play among the touring pros. Seems as foolish to try as the 12 handicap attempting a Mickelson/Woods style flop. 

"Witty golf quote."

Maybe the only shot I would use a hybrid around the green is if the ball is sitting up against the rough. Though I would probably just purposely blade a wedge. I like to play the ball more forward to make sure I get a bit more upstroke on the ball.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

On 7/23/2017 at 11:55 AM, Papa Steve 55 said:

Take one more club from the fairway so your not short of the green.......;-)

Right.

I land short more times than not. The main reason is due to not making a fully confident swing.

But I do feel more comfortable being short in front than long in the back or long off to the sides. It seems that the safest place to miss is short in front...

Note: This thread is 2460 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!