IGNORED

Career grand slam - who gets it first, Spieth or McIlroy?

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2452 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The next career grand slam  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Spieth or McIlroy - who gets a career grand slam first?

• Spieth
    • McIlroy
    • A career grand slam is too hard. Neither will complete the grand slam.

I voted Spieth.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted for Rory. I think Augusta really fits his game and he's due for another good golf streak. 

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Having watched Rory get back into a semblance of the form he showed while dominating the game a few years back, I can see him winning the career slam first and also winning more majors than Jordan in total.  Plus, barring his one miserable hole turning into a bad 9,he has shown he has the game for Augusta. 

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

If Rory doesn't get his game together and win something prior to The Masters....he'll miss the cut.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

6 hours ago, ChrisP said:

Mickelson has a fighting chance at the U.S. Open next year so I'm not going to count his career grand slam chances out yet. Shinnecock is as good a course for him as any in the U.S. Open rota. He nearly won it there in both 1995 and 2004. It's not overly long and plays to his strengths. You know Phil knows this and is going to put everything he has to winning that U.S. Open next year. If he doesn't succeed at Shinnecock, then I think his window will be all but closed. But I do think Phil will give it everything he's got and then some next June.

Then again, without Bones, I'm not so sure. He sure didn't look good without him this past weekend.

Since when is there a rota for US Open with the except of frequently played venues like Pebble and Bethpage?  I'm confused.

7 hours ago, Lefty-Golfer said:

When Rory hits the ball well he is on another planet from Spieth, however, I guess consistency does have a place in the conversation. I don't mean to act as if Spieth is bad...just that he isn't near as good off the T and it does get him trouble. His short irons obviously are deadly and the putter. Well it is hard to give him to much credit for that. Speith is tough as nails and I have not really seen that from Rory in a long time!

What makes him so much better though?  Because he has the prettiest driver swing in golf and hits it a couple yards further?  I mean sure Spieth could help himself by hitting a few more fairways, but we're talking about a guy that has averaged 2-3 wins per season for 4 years now, what has Rory done in that span?

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

9 minutes ago, Chris223 said:

What makes him so much better though?  Because he has the prettiest driver swing in golf and hits it a couple yards further?  I mean sure Spieth could help himself by hitting a few more fairways, but we're talking about a guy that has averaged 2-3 wins per season for 4 years now, what has Rory done in that span?

Really? Since 2014, Rory was won 2 majors, 2 WGCs, 3 other PGA Tour events, and 3 other European Tour events. He also won a FedEx Cup, a PGA Tour money title, and 2 European Tour money titles. So Jordan has one more major and one more event than Rory. There are very legitimate criticisms of Rory, but he's had a hall of fame career in just the past 4 seasons.

• Upvote 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

6 hours ago, Dave2512 said:

Hard to say and everyone is high on JS again after the big win, he's the new Tiger again. Both are streaky and I truly believe Rory has more skill but he seems to struggle to put things together. JS appears to have the drive to rise above in big tournaments. I wouldn't be surprised if he wins the PGA in a couple weeks.

I always hear that Rory is way more talented but when I think about it what does that mean? Sure he can drive the ball better and maybe be a better iron player but that is it in my opinion. Jordan is more talented everywhere else.

Trollin' is the life

• Administrator
8 hours ago, MuniGrit said:

Didn't he win a major or two after? Rory can't win with his C game like Spieth can. He doesn't have the short game or the attitude.

Spieth has never won with his C game. He's never won a major with any less than his B+ game.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

30 minutes ago, iacas said:

Spieth has never won with his C game. He's never won a major with any less than his B+ game.

He sure had his C game off the tee this past tournament. He didn't play great on Sunday until after the wide right on 13. Spieth is just a better golfer than Rory in my opinion. 

Trollin' is the life

Butch used to say about Tiger when his driver is on he's unbeatable.

Tiger took that and went and changed his grip under Haney and that was the beginning of the end.  Haney teaching Tiger?  It's illogical.  

Butch was able to keep Tigers urge to tinker under control.

I hops Spieth just keeps his basic swing even if driver can be a little loose sometimes.  

Let Spieth be Spieth.

• Administrator
43 minutes ago, MuniGrit said:

He sure had his C game off the tee this past tournament. He didn't play great on Sunday until after the wide right on 13. Spieth is just a better golfer than Rory in my opinion. 

I disagree. There were places to miss some drives on purpose. He even said he was trying to hit it right of the fairway on 13. Not that far right, but right.

31 minutes ago, Jack Watson said:

Butch was able to keep Tigers urge to tinker under control.

Tiger didn't like his laid off look at the 1997 Masters and made Butch work on that. That's why he didn't win a major again until 1999, and why he went on the tear from 1999-2001. He tinkered under Butch, too.

Like your other Tiger posts, this is :offtopic:.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 hours ago, DeadMan said:

Really? Since 2014, Rory was won 2 majors, 2 WGCs, 3 other PGA Tour events, and 3 other European Tour events. He also won a FedEx Cup, a PGA Tour money title, and 2 European Tour money titles. So Jordan has one more major and one more event than Rory. There are very legitimate criticisms of Rory, but he's had a hall of fame career in just the past 4 seasons.

Jordan Majors since 2014 - 3, with like 4 2nd places, also a Fed Ex Cup and Tour Championship, multiple PGA Tour titles and multiple wins outside of the US as well.  So I mean really, what makes Rory so much BETTER I asked? 

Edited by Chris223

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

3 hours ago, iacas said:

I disagree. There were places to miss some drives on purpose. He even said he was trying to hit it right of the fairway on 13. Not that far right, but right.

Tiger didn't like his laid off look at the 1997 Masters and made Butch work on that. That's why he didn't win a major again until 1999, and why he went on the tear from 1999-2001. He tinkered under Butch, too.

Like your other Tiger posts, this is :offtopic:.

He was playing terrible jump to major winner standards until making a tough bogey on 13. He played the last 4 holes at 4 under to shoot 1 under on the day. He was not playing well and he put Kuchar in a position to win. 

Trollin' is the life

31 minutes ago, MuniGrit said:

He played the last 4 holes at 4 under to shoot 1 under on the day. He was not playing well and he put Kuchar in a position to win. 

He was 5 under through the last 5 and finished -11 on a tough course (overall for the week), 3 strokes ahead of Kuchar and 6 shots ahead of the guy in 3rd. I'd say he had his A- game for the week.

3 hours ago, Chris223 said:

So I mean really, what makes Rory so much BETTER I asked?

I feel that Rory is closer to having more Tiger-esque abilities compared to Spieth. With his length, ability to hit it high, relatively straight, he's prone to get hot at times, he has the potential to dominate a course and the field, kinda like Tiger did. I think Spieth has to be a little bit more "on" than Rory to win a tournament.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

10 hours ago, Chris223 said:

Jordan Majors since 2014 - 3, with like 4 2nd places, also a Fed Ex Cup and Tour Championship, multiple PGA Tour titles and multiple wins outside of the US as well.  So I mean really, what makes Rory so much BETTER I asked? 

Because if you combined Spieth's margin of victory in his 3 major wins, they equal Rory's margin of victory in his first major win. The point people are making is that Rory's A game is better than Spieth's A game. Which I think is true, but we don't see Rory's A game all that often, and his B game isn't that good.

But you do and just feel free to keep on hating Rory because he only has won 2 majors from 2014 to now.

• Upvote 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

1 hour ago, DeadMan said:

Because if you combined Spieth's margin of victory in his 3 major wins, they equal Rory's margin of victory in his first major win. The point people are making is that Rory's A game is better than Spieth's A game. Which I think is true, but we don't see Rory's A game all that often, and his B game isn't that good.

But you do and just feel free to keep on hating Rory because he only has won 2 majors from 2014 to now.

I'm not hating on Rory at all, lol.  Just saying Spieth is the better golfer and I think Rory is overrated.  By your logic, Brooks Keopkas "A" game is better than Spieth because in his lone major win he dominated the field vs just eeking it out.  Winning is winning, period.

This Spieth vs McIlroy reminds me of tennis and other sports, for example, tennis, you have a player that just looks like he's killer, powerful serve, deadly accurate forehand and backhand w/pace, fast on the court, great footwork, looks effortless, should win a ton. And you have this other guy with the ugly looking serve, awkward groundstrokes, doesn't "look" like most people's prototype of a tennis player, yet the second has almost as many majors as the first.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 2452 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!