IGNORED

What are some good brands for beginners

Note: This thread is 2463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

7 hours ago, GreyZone said:

I don't have any clubs and I'm looking for a good hardy set. Any recommendations?

Most OEMs offer entry level clubs. I highly recommend Callaway for a beginner. You can get a 2nd set for $100 or so, if you go back a few years. Any of the x line (I play x-22) will be good sticks to learn with. 

Just be cautious on e-bay (if you're going that route)  and only purchase from a reputable seller. 

Edited by Ernest Jones

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 hours ago, GreyZone said:

I don't have any clubs and I'm looking for a good hardy set. Any recommendations?

Agree with @Ernest Jones. If you were left handed I could hook you up.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

All depends on how high your budget is. It is really hard to give club recommendations without knowing your budget. Most entry level clubs will be cheaper, but if you have a good chunk of change theres nothing wrong with getting fitted and getting a whole new set right off the bat.  

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Except maybe Mizuno, all the big club manufactures make good clubs for beginners. If I had to pick what I think the top two are, Callaway and Ping.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Ping is a great option too.  Their G series has been excellent since its inception, and their color dot system makes it easy to find a set that's fairly well fit for your height and wrist to floor measurements.  You just have to search for the model and the dot color on ebay if you're going used.  I bet you can find a great deal on G30's.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

5 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Except maybe Mizuno, all the big club manufactures make good clubs for beginners. If I had to pick what I think the top two are, Callaway and Ping.

I think Mizuno entered the market for higher handicaps a while back.  Certainly smarter than when I bought a set of MP-57s as a 20-some handicap.  :whistle:

The suggestion elsewhere in this thread for Ping G-series irons is a great one.  If you want new irons and don't care about brand name, Maltby has several offerings that are very forgiving and a set of irons from them will run under $350 usually. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

1 hour ago, GreyZone said:

Thank you all. I will definitely look into Callaway and Ping.  

Keep in mind that these companies also make "good players" clubs -- don't get a club just because it's marked Ping or Callaway and assume it's a good beginners' club.  After all, Bubba Watson and Phil Mickelson use their irons on the PGA TOUR.  But both companies also make beginners' clubs. 

If you're in doubt, please come back and ask.  Come to think of it, come back and talk golf with us on other topics too.

• Upvote 2

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

18 hours ago, GreyZone said:

If you are a beginner, I would go buy a used set somewhere such as 2nd swing golf or a golf store by where ever you live.

Trollin' is the life

Ask friends who play golf to recommend a good golf shop. Then, tell the shop reps that you want to get your own set of clubs.

The shop can recommend both beginner's sets, or used sets they got in trade-in which could fit your game.

Try to use a golf shop: You get to try out the clubs, and find a set that fits you. it you order online, you may end up with a set that just doesn't fit you physically.

Also: Have you had any golf lessons, or are you self-taught? A couple of beginner's lessons can help you get a quicker start in golf.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I gave my grandson a new set from Top Flight. The price is very good somewhere around $120 IIRC for complete set of irons hybrids, driver and including a bag. They have nice graphics and are not shovels.  I think Top Flight is under rated and should not have the stigma some attribute to them. Even their modern balls such as Gamers are considered good balls.

Fitting. A good idea at least as far as static fittings go, but I am not sure if I would get a full bore fitting session starting out as swing dynamics will change necessitating doing it all  over again, perhaps several times.

Used clubs are a good idea, but you also need to consider the confidence factor of having a nice, shiny, new set of clubs.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I just checked and noted that for 2017 the top flight XL sets are around $299 for men's sets. I probably paid not much less than that for the 2016 XL model.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Note: This thread is 2463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!