IGNORED

Do you play a "winter ball"?

Note: This thread is 2260 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do you play a "winter ball"?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Do you play a different ball in the fall/winter? Or do you play the same ball year-round?

• I switch to a cheaper or different ball once leaves are on the ground, or during the inactive handicap season.
    • I play the same ball/balls for all of my rounds, even "off-season".

39 minutes ago, djake said:

Does anyone think the brightly colored golf balls are easier to spot in the fall?

I do, depending on the brand.  I currently use the Titleist TruSoft yellow when leaves start falling and the fairways start turning beige.  Maybe just my eyes, but I find them easier to see than white golf balls among leaves and on dormant grass.  (I've heard that Srixon makes a different white, and I haven't tried that; maybe this winter). I tried Bridgestone e6 yellow a couple years ago, and I found that particular yellow harder to see in winter than the Titleist (then the SoLo).

I've got a few Volvik Vivids that I want to try this year.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I play a lot of my golf during Autumn and Winter I suppose whatever ball i use is my "winter ball".

I think for a higher hcp golfer like me the ball i use doesnt make much difference between summer and winter use. I trialled some balls this summer and will use them for the forseeable future.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

On 9/17/2017 at 9:45 PM, djake said:

Does anyone think the brightly colored golf balls are easier to spot in the fall? 

Some of them definitely are, in my experience.  It's not about the color, though, but the finish.  Both the Vice Pro Neon Lime (green) and the Titleist NXT Tour S (2016, at least) have a "shimmer" to them, due to flakes or something similar in the coating, that makes them very easy to spot in the fall.

I actually bet the easiest ball to spot would be white, but with that type of finish.  I just haven't found a ball that has that.

- John

I use the same ball all year for the most part.  We don't have an inactive season so I post scores year round.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

On 9/17/2017 at 8:45 PM, djake said:

Does anyone think the brightly colored golf balls are easier to spot in the fall?  I am 50/50 on this but can be persuaded if enough people think they are easier to see.

It can be different for everyone, depending on their eyesight.  A lot of players see yellow really well, but others are able to see orange better.

Believe it or not, Bridgestone has some models in Japan that are available in 4 different colors of white!

phyz.PNG.3d4a50d9701b0f693583b0f415572a31.PNG

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

you know, even though i dont play a "winter ball" i actually sometimes play "winter clubs". If its really cold out i take the 6i and 7i out of the bag and replace with 6 & 7 hybrids that i had made. The larger head of the hybrid doesnt transmit the shock of a cold ball hit my a cold club being held by cold hands on a stupidly cold morning as much :-)

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

On 9/17/2017 at 10:21 PM, Denny Bang Bang said:

Dean Snell answered a similar question to this on his website as well.  He also stated a multi layer ball will perform better in the cold.

He also said it takes a couple hours for them to get all the way cold, so the balls in that test video may not have been fully chilled (he said they had been outside for 1.5 hours). Maybe that accounts for the lower than expected distance loss.

On 9/19/2017 at 5:21 AM, RussUK said:

you know, even though i dont play a "winter ball" i actually sometimes play "winter clubs". If its really cold out i take the 6i and 7i out of the bag and replace with 6 & 7 hybrids that i had made. The larger head of the hybrid doesnt transmit the shock of a cold ball hit my a cold club being held by cold hands on a stupidly cold morning as much :-)

I agree. But, since I no longer play an iron longer than a 6, that's not much of a problem.

On 9/19/2017 at 2:04 PM, hilmar2k said:

He also said it takes a couple hours for them to get all the way cold, so the balls in that test video may not have been fully chilled (he said they had been outside for 1.5 hours). Maybe that accounts for the lower than expected distance loss.

So, why not stick a "Mycoal Grabber" hand warmer in the ball pocket to keep them warm!

• Administrator

I play a different ball in the shoulders (when the ground is REALLY wet or there are a LOT of leaves), mainly because I'd rather not lose my Snell when it plugs 3" underground in a really wet fairway, or under a pile of leaves. The greens are often so soft it's not like I need the spin.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Most of the summer I play a ProV1 but when fall is here and I lose balls due to leaves or sunlight in my eyes, I switch to ProV1x's. Similar quality and I always seems to have a lot of them at the end of the year that I have picked up and don't mind returning them to the golf course.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

• 2 weeks later...

I've switched this year from Chrome Soft to Supersoft, which I'll use on days when the course is wet. As others have said, I don't need the spin , and I'd rather a ball that went straighter since I really don't want to be hitting out of soggy rough.

• 2 months later...
On 9/17/2017 at 10:23 PM, billchao said:

Just FYI, using artificial devices to warm your golf balls during the round is a breach of rule 14-3.

But doing so just prior to the round is acceptable, right? That seems like one of those applications of the Rules that are messed up as if the action prior to the round makes no difference. If it alters the ball then you shouldn't be allowed to do it prior to the round either. Or what if you put the hand warmer in the pouch where you keep the balls prior to the round starting? What about wiping your grips down during the round to get em tacky again?

Not trying to be argumentative but rather point out how some rules can be taken too far in their interpretation.

2 hours ago, Pablo68 said:

But doing so just prior to the round is acceptable, right? That seems like one of those applications of the Rules that are messed up as if the action prior to the round makes no difference. If it alters the ball then you shouldn't be allowed to do it prior to the round either. Or what if you put the hand warmer in the pouch where you keep the balls prior to the round starting? What about wiping your grips down during the round to get em tacky again?

Not trying to be argumentative but rather point out how some rules can be taken too far in their interpretation.

The advantage of pre-heating is  going to be very limited. If it's cold enough to matter, then everybody is going to have frozen balls by around the 3rd hole, and the advantage of pre-heated balls on the first two holes is negligible against somebody who started with their ball at room temperature. 

The hand warmer in the pouch is surely cheating. I suppose you can change your ball each hole, so I guess something you could do if you were really inclined is pre-heat a whole lot of balls to around 35-40c, and put them in a super insulated pouch switching each hole. Anybody bothered enough to do this deserves the advantage in my opinion for effort! 

16 hours ago, Pablo68 said:

There are other examples of things that are allowed before the round, but which aren't allowed during the round.  E.g., changing the settings on your adjustable driver, deciding which 14 clubs you will use, swinging a training aid/weight.  This is one of those:

14-3/13.5

Golf Ball Artificially Warmed

Q.Is the use of a golf ball that was purposely warmed during a stipulated round with a golf ball warmer, hand warmer or any such device a breach of Rule 14-3?

A.Yes. Use of a ball that has been purposely warmed during a stipulated round with an artificial device constitutes a breach of Rule 14-3. However, it would not be a breach of Rule 14-3 to use a ball that was artificially warmed prior to the stipulated round.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

I switch to a less expensive ball. Those who keep USGA indexes cannot post past mid-October in the area. By the time fall hits I've found enough cheap or mid-level balls to more than get me through November or early December. The ground is so hard during this time of the year that no ball will stop very well. More like "pasture pool" than golf!

• 2 weeks later...

Watched an interview with the guy from Snell and realised my above post is incorrect - balls that have been kept warm overnight will stay warm for a few hours, and they shouldn't be warmed above 100f. 

So that decides it, I'll keep a sleeve of balls somewhere warm in my house overnight before a morning cold game, and not worry about it.

Note: This thread is 2260 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!