IGNORED

Any one have excel/numbers formula for handicap?

RickPro
Note: This thread is 1374 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyone have excel for windows or numbers for mac?

need a formula for handicap, trying to keep track of my handicap.

Driver: :tmade: 2017 M1 9.5° / 3-wood: :tmade: AeroBurner 13.5° / Irons: :mizuno:  MP-69 (3-PW) / Wedges: :titleist: SM6 Vokey 50°, 54°, 58° / Putter: :titleist: Scotty Cameron Newport with SuperStroke 3.0 slim, 50g counterweight / Balls: :bridgestone:  Tour B330-S

NLC Cup 2017 Champion / Grand Master's Cup 2017 Champion / TDR Cup 2017 Champion / DTG Celebration Cup 2017 Champion

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Probably depends on how in depth you want to go with this.

Your columns would be,

Date, Course, Slope, Rating, ESC Score, Differential

Differential would be (ESC - Rating) x 113 / SLOPE. So if those columns are A thru F the equation would be (E2 - D2)*113/C2 for row 2

From this there is a few ways you can go. IF you want the best 10 out of 20 then you will need to wait till you get enough rounds. You can use the rank function rank the best scores and then you can use the equation AVERAGEIFS to find the average for the top 10.

AVERAGEIFS(Differential COLUMN, RANK COLUMN, "<=&10")

If you want something to be variable depending on the total number of scores you have. You would have to create a data set to reference to.

Number of Acceptable Scores, Differentials to be used.

So you then have to have something that counts the number of scores you have entered. COUNT(DIFFERENTIAL COLUMN) - 1. Then that value would be used to draw the number of differentials being used.

AVERAGEIFS(DIFFERENTIAL COLUMN, RANK COLUMN, "<="&LOOKUP(COUNT(DIFFERENTIAL COLUMN)-1,NUMBER OF ACCEPTABLE SCORE COLUMN, DIFFERENTIALS TO BE USED COLUMN)))

There are other ways you can do this as well.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I'm on my phone so I can't do it myself, but a quick search on this site should bring up several.

I think Australia is still operating under CONGU though.  If so, realize that the process/calculation is a bit different than the U.S. and those that use the USGA calculation.  Since you're just doing an unofficial spreadsheet for your own use, it doesn't really matter though.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Australia has its own handicap system.  Its similar, but not identical, to the USGA system.  Unlike the USGA, there's a DAILY scratch score, which may differ from the USGA Course Rating.  I believe the Slope calculation works the same.  They use the best 8 scores of the last 20, and the average of those scores is multiplied by 0.93.  I think the most difficult thing to obtain for home calculations would be the Daily Scratch score, as that number is based on the scores of the competitors playing the course on each specific day, using a rather arcane calculation.  You can find out more about the Australian handicap system here:

http://www.golf.org.au/newgahandicapsystem

You could certainly do something along the lines of what @saevel25 has laid out, correcting for the differences in the Australian system.  You wouldn't have access to the Daily Scratch Score, but it might be good enough for your own use.  The spreadsheet that @opie found relates to the CONGU system used in Great Britain and (I think) some parts of Europe.  My quick search didn't come up with any available spreadsheets using the Australian system.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• 2 years later...
On 9/20/2017 at 4:40 AM, RickPro said:

Anyone have excel for windows or numbers for mac?

need a formula for handicap, trying to keep track of my handicap.

I developed my own spreadsheet.

Excel Handicap.xlsx

It will take some explaining:

There are 2 columns of numbers on the left, the first column is the number of games in table (1-20), the second column is the order that the games are played, #1 being the most recent game.

When you add a new game you first must sort the table. Select the cells from C5 down and over to J24 and sort from smallest to largest in column C. Then you COPY from cells D5 down to J23, and paste it into cell D6. The top 2 rows should look the same, so you add your new game into the top row, over typing the date, the course, Par, Score, Rating, & Slope. This will show you a new "differential" for that game.

Now you need to sort to get the lowes 'differential' again select all the cells from C5 down to J24, and sort from the lowest to the highest in column J.

If you never moved any of the formulas your handicap should show at the right, in this case as "27.896" and rounded off above to 28.

If you have questions, be sure to ask, as I may not be as clear as I should be. This spread sheet I developed myself from the information on line, as how to calculate handicaps.

7 minutes ago, dalefleury said:

I developed my own spreadsheet.

Excel Handicap.xlsx 15.45 kB · 0 downloads

It will take some explaining:

There are 2 columns of numbers on the left, the first column is the number of games in table (1-20), the second column is the order that the games are played, #1 being the most recent game.

When you add a new game you first must sort the table. Select the cells from C5 down and over to J24 and sort from smallest to largest in column C. Then you COPY from cells D5 down to J23, and paste it into cell D6. The top 2 rows should look the same, so you add your new game into the top row, over typing the date, the course, Par, Score, Rating, & Slope. This will show you a new "differential" for that game.

Now you need to sort to get the lowes 'differential' again select all the cells from C5 down to J24, and sort from the lowest to the highest in column J.

If you never moved any of the formulas your handicap should show at the right, in this case as "27.896" and rounded off above to 28.

If you have questions, be sure to ask, as I may not be as clear as I should be. This spread sheet I developed myself from the information on line, as how to calculate handicaps.

You could make this easier by using the Excel SMALL command.  That would eliminate the sorting by differential.

SMALL selects the nth smallest number in a range.  So you just add SMALL number 1, SMALL number 2, ...... SMALL number 8.   Then divide the total by 8.  

Here is my formula.  "differential" is the named range of the last 20 differentials.

=(SMALL(differential,1)+SMALL(differential,2)+SMALL(differential,3)+SMALL(differential,4)+SMALL(differential,5)+SMALL(differential,6)+SMALL(differential,7)+SMALL(differential,8))/8

• Thumbs Up 1

I do, but it doesn’t conform to the new one world handicap thing. I’m getting too old to mess with all these changes. 
Old man rant over. 

- Shane

@Club Rat is the pro when it comes to spreadsheets and handicaps.   I believe he is working on a major project using Google Sheets.   He helped me create an Excel spreadsheet that works great.   I was actually trying to over think the thing but decided what I have (with his help) is sufficient for my needs.  

It's not like I need the spreadsheet for the data, I used TheGrint.    I enjoy the challenge of working on an Excel project.    I don't have all of the new changes but enough to be pretty close.     It's still a work in progress.   See what you think.  

All Golf Scores with handicap 2.xlsx

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

4 hours ago, Roadking2003 said:

You could make this easier by using the Excel SMALL command.  That would eliminate the sorting by differential.

SMALL selects the nth smallest number in a range.  So you just add SMALL number 1, SMALL number 2, ...... SMALL number 8.   Then divide the total by 8.  

Here is my formula.  "differential" is the named range of the last 20 differentials.

=(SMALL(differential,1)+SMALL(differential,2)+SMALL(differential,3)+SMALL(differential,4)+SMALL(differential,5)+SMALL(differential,6)+SMALL(differential,7)+SMALL(differential,8))/8

Thank you, yes that also works.

As I normally play about 20+ games a year, I like to shade in this years games a different color from last years. By sorting them it shows me if my games for this year are a factor in my handicap.

Just something I do !

2 hours ago, dennyjones said:

@Club Rat is the pro when it comes to spreadsheets and handicaps.   I believe he is working on a major project using Google Sheets.   He helped me create an Excel spreadsheet that works great.   I was actually trying to over think the thing but decided what I have (with his help) is sufficient for my needs.  

It's not like I need the spreadsheet for the data, I used TheGrint.    I enjoy the challenge of working on an Excel project.    I don't have all of the new changes but enough to be pretty close.     It's still a work in progress.   See what you think.  

All Golf Scores with handicap 2.xlsx 198.04 kB · 1 download

Very impressive.

I just looked at TheGrint, very neat looking program. I signed up and will try it tomorrow. I used your name when I signed in.

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 1374 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!