IGNORED

How To Properly Repair Ball Marks

iacas

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

Just saw P. Reed popping grass up on #3. You should give him a lesson.

Unfortunately pros don’t care about what is best for the course. Only what is best for their putt immediately.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

46 minutes ago, iacas said:

Unfortunately pros don’t care about what is best for the course. Only what is best for their putt immediately.

They should be fined for hurting the course.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Aren't courses generally closed long enough after a PGA Tour event to heal anyway? Improperly repaired ball marks aren't the only damage done to them. There are also lots of divots in concentrated areas, worn out tracks of fairway from crossing areas for spectators, etc.?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, billchao said:

Aren't courses generally closed long enough after a PGA Tour event to heal anyway? Improperly repaired ball marks aren't the only damage done to them. There are also lots of divots in concentrated areas, worn out tracks of fairway from crossing areas for spectators, etc.?

Many open the next day. They’ve already been closed for awhile before the event.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Many open the next day. They’ve already been closed for awhile before the event.

Didn't know that. I know they close down beforehand, but I assumed they would need some time afterwards, as well. At the very least to tear down grandstands, hospitality tents, etc.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

15 minutes ago, iacas said:

Oftentimes tournament courses will open Monday to the public to play, with the same Sunday pin placements, so you can essentially play the course the pros played.

hmm so it´s entirely pointless putting back grass divots on fairways? Other then it will work for a while before the grass dies? Sometimes with my lob wedge I dig deep as hell feels like I am getting the entire root system. Just about everybody puts them back. It kind of feel bad not to repair your mess.

9 hours ago, knott said:

hmm so it´s entirely pointless putting back grass divots on fairways? Other then it will work for a while before the grass dies? Sometimes with my lob wedge I dig deep as hell feels like I am getting the entire root system. Just about everybody puts them back. It kind of feel bad not to repair your mess.

Divots and pitch marks are two different things. I expect to have some oddities even in the fairway, but improper pitch mark repair is detrimental to how the course plays/if its worth playing.

Replacing a divot isnt a process (place grass where it came from), but repairing a pitch mark is (keep the green as smooth rolling and healthy as possible using the method at the beginning). 

I actually played with someone today that knew how to do it properly. Most people don't. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/8/2020 at 3:09 PM, dmnoland said:

So how am I supposed to fix my divot from today?-i_zVz8li6xb36dMfXNKTgsHDcyj-rx56SvT-A2hInV5A2ZvRCLyhNZKHImgi4zXDY9CymjfG6O1bOBCokK5lgG_zjJA9onuT0_NCcZum3f2FVYVpbqIYhJhjwiH_NjGF52GQFiIQvKrkB6XrqEFWc9GZ1MBb6oBhMhDStYVBDWPwUIWSPejm3xiUXIPx0c1MjvV_ebQqMWiq_55IACrttyyhWB2_rqvTQtURQs5QSAPywRBvW3f5DOjH8t53pnFojx1oKsa8JJfO89zXe0lnoFFJLKsUY9FEdPldVDArtAnwG4q6jqrVdzFBoJ2C7kscT_rGRDKGAB_9xeBwqIjQvD-S1xOJ1edxjRvK6_nA3N9zoBFIh4HyezxLAu34PJR_vTRCB8RPhApqUs-ZR6X9Sc0GrgsgiPj6jJj-kQKRdY0Lqem2hIgW3az15xdWvFVablwKzFC1OR6gKWXWHVPokpzqgk7cohxZdtQMgfspoTFP_WTTx6FV2iNGUbrOYI0oT6ohAmtBjnSkfOGBS3n5fcpQA_O9h2I9IjrOoFE3tVHgbultoYmHiQ-dqlfeWuY7Y7rYdBd-hz6m0K3ceqmXlCIZySnXRs9WwRO8jNyEEAjCkSDvy-vKksFCjtVQXuoDQUHNiQT1J7EV5HJMhGKkkw5uxhhZXb9SuTgmk3gyqxh1PdWkKWOO0XhYs0n=w707-h941-no?authuser=0

How do you rebuild the side of the cup so others behind you can putt?

Pull in from the sides and do the best you can. Heckuva shot.

• 1 month later...

I've been doing it all wrong - but now I know. Great thread and I can testify that on courses I play there are way too many improperly repaired pitch marks. 

• Like 1

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

As my game has improved my GIR has obviously improved with it. I hit 9-13 GIR a round right now. I do make it a point to fix mine and at least one more every time I have my tool out. On par 3’s it seems like I will fix 10 and not have even made an impact there are so many. Our course is horrible for golf etiquette. Yesterday I was on the range and had some guy hitting a bucket in the center of the range. Ropes were in the front tho. You look at old divot patterns and it’s obvious that nobody has any idea how to make a proper divot pattern at the range. Frustrating!

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

On 11/17/2020 at 6:28 PM, WillieT said:

I've been doing it all wrong - but now I know. Great thread and I can testify that on courses I play there are way too many improperly repaired pitch marks. 

Just a random muse on this - we played the "home" course Friday morning following the Friday scramble guys and found plenty of opportunity to make proper repairs to ball marks on the green.  I was pretty much doing a 2 for 1 special, minimum 1, typically 2 on every green.  There is a sense of accomplishment when you do it right and see the ground lay back down properly.  

• Like 1

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

• 5 months later...
On 7/2/2020 at 5:29 PM, billchao said:

Didn't know that. I know they close down beforehand, but I assumed they would need some time afterwards, as well. At the very least to tear down grandstands, hospitality tents, etc.

We played one year on a Tuesday at PGA National right after the Honda and all the grandstands were still there. I expected the place to be a mess but it was pristine. The gallery was obviously kept a proper distance from where golfers would be in play. The only ball marks I saw on the greens were fresh, most probably from that day's play.  I know how to fix a ball mark but the caddies wouldn't let us. They did it. 

My brother is a very good player, much better than me, past club champ. But, when we play, I fix his ball marks. He butchers them. 

Bill M

I played a course yesterday (to be un-named) and hit 13  greens but because the greens were so firm and hard the ball only stayed on the green 8 times.  Most of these were wedges and very short irons, hit with good height and backspin.  There were no ball marks to be found... the greens were that "concrete-like".  Didn't have to repair a ball mark all day.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2020 at 2:43 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

Oftentimes tournament courses will open Monday to the public to play, with the same Sunday pin placements, so you can essentially play the course the pros played.

And get a real harsh dose of reality.😉

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition