iacas

How To Properly Repair Ball Marks

136 posts / 56551 viewsLast Reply

I use a tee and poke it repeatedly around the ball mark at a 45 degree angle.  This fluffs up the indentation in the green. Then a quick tamp with the putter and it's like it was never there.

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

9 hours ago, LightsOut said:

I use a tee and poke it repeatedly around the ball mark at a 45 degree angle.  This fluffs up the indentation in the green. Then a quick tamp with the putter and it's like it was never there.

Please read the OP. Just poking a tee in doesn't really do it correctly. You have to push the dirt toward the middle more than that will tend to do.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Please read the OP. Just poking a tee in doesn't really do it correctly. You have to push the dirt toward the middle more than that will tend to do.

Ah.  I see you just want to disagree with everything I post.  I play these courses regularly and even check my repairs from previous rounds to see how they're doing.  I often can't even find them just a couple days later.  Ever consider that different soils and grasses may respond well to this method?  

21 minutes ago, LightsOut said:

Ah.  I see you just want to disagree with everything I post.

No, not by rule. I disagree with things that I disagree with… regardless of who posts them.

The OP is from a superintendent. He knows a bit more about repairing ball marks than you (or I) do. Just pushing a tee in at 45° is not the way he recommends.

So, again, I suggest you read the OP.

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

No, not by rule. I disagree with things that I disagree with… regardless of who posts them.

The OP is from a superintendent. He knows a bit more about repairing ball marks than you (or I) do. Just pushing a tee in at 45° is not the way he recommends.

So, again, I suggest you read the OP.

So an effective method should be disregarded if it isn't written in some obscure document.  Got it.  Learned that little trick from a landscape architect, by the way.  

1 minute ago, LightsOut said:

So an effective method should be disregarded if it isn't written in some obscure document.  Got it.  Learned that little trick from a landscape architect, by the way.  

Huh? An "obscure document"? It's an article - and a graphic - from the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America.

And… I suggest your method should be disregarded because it doesn't work as well.

But hey, man, ultimately so long as you're not playing the same courses I'm playing - and you're not - I really don't care what you do. All I can do is put out good information. It's up to you to ultimately make the choice as to what you do.

Crack on.

I was of the old school "poke and lift" pitch mark repairer but have reformed my ways having seen the OP video and learning to do it correctly. It is easy and quick and makes the ball mark virtually disappear. I also passed a link to the video on to my friend who also now uses it to repair ball marks. One of the golf courses I played recently had the same instruction on a sticker in their carts. I always try to leave the course in better shape than I found it and I'm glad to have learned this tip. Thanks.

I was told how to repair the pitch marks in my introduction to golf course. It was the same method seen in the video so I learned it right from the get go.